Building a team in 2022

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
Some of the Big Boys are catching on to it. A couple of them are ranked ahead of us in portal recruiting by ESPN I think they rank us 8th.

Reactions: Gr8spur

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I don't like the portal, so I don't really like the idea of using the portal to build a team, but if it's the way it has to be done then it has to be done that way I guess.

Gr8spur

Joined Sep 16, 2003
Jan 22, 2022
I have loved college football for decades! But I really have strong misgivings about the portal and NIL. I’ll try to still enjoy the game. But I worry about what we’re teaching all these young men. We’re teaching them things like: If you face a little adversity, run away. If you’re the slightest bit dissatisfied, bail. Screw loyalty, and ‘get yours.’ And above all, chase the Almighty dollar!

Jan 21, 2022
Some of the Big Boys are catching on to it. A couple of them are ranked ahead of us in portal recruiting by ESPN I think they rank us 8th.
I would like to see this turn into trades within schools and a deadline October 31, for a push to be eligible for play off's... Players can stay in school by the way of online/zoom classes while playing for another school. :D

• Haha
Reactions: Patriot321

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
I would like to see this turn into trades within schools and a deadline October 31, for a push to be eligible for play off's... Players can stay in school by the way of online/zoom classes while playing for another school. :D
You know that's crazy, and I know you can't rule out anything now. If it's a joke, it's going to get funnier. If it's a tragedy, it's going to get much sadder.

Reactions: Patriot321

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
You probably also need a "retention coordinator" who works hard to keep your own guys - or at least the ones you want to keep.
Could be. I'm sure that, right now, the entire staff has to be occupied with that.

DrMickeySC

Jan 23, 2022
You probably also need a "retention coordinator" who works hard to keep your own guys - or at least the ones you want to keep.
I was thinking about retaining players, too. I think at some positions (QB is the obvious one), the limited availability of starting time will keep the portal moving. But a coach who can hold on to “not quite ready” position players will have an advantage. And a coach who loses a host of starters is going to be in trouble.

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
I was thinking about retaining players, too. I think at some positions (QB is the obvious one), the limited availability of starting time will keep the portal moving. But a coach who can hold on to “not quite ready” position players will have an advantage. And a coach who loses a host of starters is going to be in trouble.
I think Beamer shows signs of being better than most at keeping players. But better NIL deals elsewhere: how well will we be able to counteract those?

DrMickeySC

Jan 23, 2022
I think Beamer shows signs of being better than most at keeping players. But better NIL deals elsewhere: how well will we be able to counteract those?
That’s true, King. And although we came out well ahead in the portal this year, even with some loses, we will eventually lose an all-SEC player and it’s going to sting. Of course, I think nearly everyone else will face the same problems.

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
I like the portal but I think they are going to need to designate time frames when you can enter the portal and when you recruit these kids.

Having kids enter the portal year round seems crazy for coaches / recruiters to manage.
There has now been some talk floating around that the portal window should be limited to a certain window of time, and/or sit out a year, as before.
Might have been Saban who said this, but I'm not certain of that. If it was Saban, I would imagine that idea would start to get some traction, maybe sooner than later.

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
That’s true, King. And although we came out well ahead in the portal this year, even with some loses, we will eventually lose an all-SEC player and it’s going to sting. Of course, I think nearly everyone else will face the same problems.
Not the schools at the top of the NIL chain, not with losing people who are getting a lot of exposure.

Reactions: DrMickeySC

Sweetwatergolf

Jan 20, 2022
There has now been some talk floating around that the portal window should be limited to a certain window of time, and/or sit out a year, as before.
Might have been Saban who said this, but I'm not certain of that. If it was Saban, I would imagine that idea would start to get some traction, maybe sooner than later.
This sounds so obvious, can't understand why those "in charge" will not implement this before its too late.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
The portal this season has transformed us as a team to reckon with in 2022, not an easy W. Not saying we will win the East. Think we are 2-3 years away from that. But, no one will take us for granted next season.

vacock

Joined Oct 26, 1998 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 20, 2022
I have loved college football for decades! But I really have strong misgivings about the portal and NIL. I’ll try to still enjoy the game. But I worry about what we’re teaching all these young men. We’re teaching them things like: If you face a little adversity, run away. If you’re the slightest bit dissatisfied, bail. Screw loyalty, and ‘get yours.’ And above all, chase the Almighty dollar!
So, I guess you have never changed jobs? Seems to me that some players trade down and some trade up (from a smaller school).

Gr8spur

Joined Sep 16, 2003
Jan 22, 2022
So, I guess you have never changed jobs? Seems to me that some players trade down and some trade up (from a smaller school).
I have changed jobs. I’ve been at my present one since 1997. Doesn’t have any bearing on the concerns for these young I’ve expressed. I am truly concerned for their ‘character’ development. I just don’t think the recent changes help. That’s my opinion. It’s okay if you disagree. Maybe I’m just too old fashioned.

Reactions: King Ward

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
I have changed jobs. I’ve been at my present one since 1997. Doesn’t have any bearing on the concerns for these young I’ve expressed. I am truly concerned for their ‘character’ development. I just don’t think the recent changes help. That’s my opinion. It’s okay if you disagree. Maybe I’m just too old fashioned.
I'm old fashioned also. I don't think what constitutes good character has ever changed or will change. Things like honesty, integrity, and accountability will always be hallmarks of the best people you will meet.

Latest posts