Bulldog Bruce, a question for you.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
My son first played organized baseball this year in the Starkville rec league as a 12 year old. Wanting to play on the school's 7th grade team next season. He seems to really enjoy the game so I'm hoping something he'll stick with. My question to you is regarding bats. He just has an Academy Sports cheap off the shelf bat, but by next year he's wanting some of these unholy expensive bats. I've heard him mention a Marucci Cat 9 or something to that effect he said was around $250 if I remember correctly. Maybe $500. Hell, I don't know. Just more than my Wally World bats I used as a kid. Is there a significant advantage to using these high dollar bats or is a bat pretty much a bat? And if it matters I don't think he'll ever be a power hitter unless he hits a growth spurt. More a singles and doubles type hitter.

Aug 28, 2018
I'm no Bulldog Bruce, but if HBP Jr just played his first year or organized ball at 12, it's not worth spending the extra money. Heck, I really don't think it's worth it until a kid reaches HS and his body has begun to mature. Up until that point, power numbers are irrelevant. If a kid can hit, he'll do it with a $50 bat or a $500 bat. Make him earn the nice bat with a few years of consistency with a lower tier bat.

Unless you're more worried status symbols and all....

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I agree with PartTimeGenius. At that age he is going to out grow bats. From reading on here there seems to be a pretty good secondary market on these bats and that is what I would lean towards until he gets a bit older.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I would imagine it'll be tough to break into the school team if you are just now starting as a 6th grader, unless he's real good or has some crazy tools. I see two 12U travel squads on Grand Slam from Starkville, right off the bat from a simple search, that's 20 kids. Now, those are likely split between SHS and SA kids, not to mention some might come up from Brooksville or Ackerman or what not.

Just being honest. I don't know that I'd splurge for a bat unless you knew the kid had what it takes. You might try to catch on with one of those squads so he can play some good competition, whether he makes the school team or not. If he doesn't, then hopefully he'll make it the following year. Because these kids will grow, flame out, etc.

But certainly stick with it if he likes it.

Last edited:

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I'm no Bulldog Bruce, but if HBP Jr just played his first year or organized ball at 12, it's not worth spending the extra money. Heck, I really don't think it's worth it until a kid reaches HS and his body has begun to mature. Up until that point, power numbers are irrelevant. If a kid can hit, he'll do it with a $50 bat or a $500 bat. Make him earn the nice bat with a few years of consistency with a lower tier bat.

Unless you're more worried status symbols and all....

Good answer. Unless he starts putting up numbers that make him look like a man among boys I would find a less expensive compromise.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I'm going to disagree slightly with most responses. Yes, anything on the high end is going to be a waste. But you don't want to get the absolute cheapest bat either. It will be crap, and there really is a difference. Get something the next tier up from the cheapest. And by all means have him test a few out to see which one he's comfortable with.

Aug 28, 2018
I don't disagree about the difference in bats at all. But for this situation, with his limited experience, there's no need to even walk onto a Ferrari lot.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Of course he doesn't need the Ferrari. I'm just saying get the 2016 Corolla instead of the 1983 Ford Pinto.

MStateU

Nov 15, 2009
eBay. Used whatever he wants. As long as it’s not cracked don’t even worry about what it looks like. He’s going to outgrow it so just get a short timer. I have gotten some used softball bats that are hot as fire and look like hell. Take advantage of the parents that have to have a new one every year because the bat has to be the problem.

HomeBoyDawg

Oct 22, 2013
Tell him "bat don't make the man, man make the bat." I used that a lot when my kids wanted expensive sports clothes and equipment along with such pearls of wisdom as "Fruit of the Loom works just as good under those pads as Under Armour." And, of course, they rarely agreed with me.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
There is absolutely a difference in $50 vs $500 bat. But is that difference going to help him hit better at this age? Probably not unless he's by far one of the best players in the rec league. Most kids at this age don't make solid contact but maybe once every 2 - 3 games. They are going to walk, strike out, or hit a weak ground ball somewhere --- and the bat isn't going to make a difference in any of those situations. Based on your comment of singles / doubles hitter - I'd get him a decent bat he'll be proud to use, but don't even consider the top end stuff until he gets older.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
More important than a bat is his name. If he's a Konner, Jaxon/Braxton (one x or two, the "t" is optional, fine to shorten to Jax/Brax), Tanner, Hunter or Brooks, he'll make all stars next year.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Thanks for all the replies. I wasn't particularly looking at getting him a bat off the Ferrari lot for 7th grade. I wanted to see if he could compete with the increased talent level first. But I also didn't want to let him play with a Walmart special either when all the others are walking up with much nicer bats. But I do know he's absolutely fallen in love with the game so I want to encourage him however I can. But right now a $400 bat is just out of the question.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Heard the parents of an MSU player in MLB once say all they did was show up to his games when he started liking playing ball in high school. They didn't do travel ball, camps, expensive equipment, anything.

I just smiled because the guy asking him was obsessed with his 7 year old being a great baseball player.

bruiser.sixpack

Aug 13, 2009
I’m sure it was originally an expensive bat, but half of State’s team this year used a bat that looked like the one I hit rocks with when I was 12. That thing had more scratches and dings that a 73 Pinto!

Ray Caldwell

Nov 24, 2021
Take what you would’ve spent on a new cheap bat (50-100) and go to sideline swap and buy a good used bat.

Bagman.sixpack

Jan 13, 2021
Hey OP, I’ll give some advice as my kid is the same age.

1. The game is an ultra skill based game. Please, please. Train your kid year round in some capacity. If he really wants to play school ball and make an impact this is a must.
a. I would hit at least one time a week minimum year round. In season 5 days a week.
b. Fielding, even if just drills in the living room. Literally once a week year round. 3-5 days a week.
c. Throw constantly. Especially just random catch. 5 days a week. Pitching program if a pitcher.

2. Train, train, train like an athlete. Speed and power training. Baseball requires little to no endurance except pitcher and catcher. You stand most of the time then move at high velocity.

I’m not sure how gifted your son is, but baseball, while requiring high athleticism, also requires very high levels of unique skills.

This will be an extreme challenge for him to start now at this age. This is from a skills perspective. Most of his competition has been playing 50 games a year since 9-10 years old or earlier.

It can be done, I would love to know your kid and watch the journey.

Bats: buy him a big dollar bat. It would give him some confidence. If he’s a loser kid get him an end loaded, if not get a more balanced bat. A used bat but very high end. Just make 100% sure there are NO cracks. These bats are dead as an old man’s dick when cracked.

Last edited:

Bagman.sixpack

Jan 13, 2021
Heard the parents of an MSU player in MLB once say all they did was show up to his games when he started liking playing ball in high school. They didn't do travel ball, camps, expensive equipment, anything.

I just smiled because the guy asking him was obsessed with his 7 year old being a great baseball player.

What player and what era?

That is unrealistic for 99% of kids.

The team that won the CWS, guarantee you 90% or more played some form of travel ball. No way they waited until high school to get serious. They freaking recruit kids way earlier than mid high school. You want to go to MSU or most any other school you better be at showcases and then you better be a freak if you aren’t honing skills playing the “dreaded” travel ball.

Last edited:

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Hey OP, I’ll give some advice as my kid is the same age.

1. The game is an ultra skill based game. Please, please. Train your kid year round in some capacity. If he really wants to play school ball and make an impact this is a must.
a. I would hit at least one time a week minimum year round. In season 5 days a week.
b. Fielding, even if just drills in the living room. Literally once a week year round. 3-5 days a week.
c. Throw constantly. Especially just random catch. 5 days a week. Pitching program if a pitcher.

2. Train, train, train like an athlete. Speed and power training. Baseball requires little to no endurance except pitcher and catcher. You stand most of the time then move at high velocity.

I’m not sure how gifted your son is, but baseball, while requiring high athleticism, also requires very high levels of unique skills.

This will be an extreme challenge for him to start now at this age. This is from a skills perspective. Most of his competition has been playing 50 games a year since 9-10 years old or earlier.

It can be done, I would love to know your kid and watch the journey.

Bats: buy him a big dollar bat. It would give him some confidence. If he’s a loser kid get him an end loaded, if not get a more balanced bat. A used bat but very high end. Just make 100% sure there are NO cracks. These bats are dead as an old man’s dick when cracked.

I have no delusions he's going to be the next big thing. Or even close to it. Maybe he surprises me. All I have to compare him to are the other kids that were on his rec team, but damn. That's like trying to figure out how good your car is by comparing it to those in a junkyard. I will say before the season started we were at the park and a guy and his son were there and asked to join us. The other boy was 14 and had played for a while and he pitched some so my son was taking BP off him and was actually making decent contact. I've got him fielding decently but needs work on throwing accuracy. That wasn't helped by the fact he was usually playing third and having to make long throws. But even there his throws weren't terrible. Only had a small handful that just weren't catchable. He could at least put it there on pretty much a line and wasn't lobbing hand grenades like a lot of the others. Of course next year is 90' baselines instead of the 70' this year. I just want to do what I can to encourage him. He truly seems to enjoy the sport unlike football when he tried it out.

Bagman.sixpack

Jan 13, 2021

I have no delusions he's going to be the next big thing. Or even close to it. Maybe he surprises me. All I have to compare him to are the other kids that were on his rec team, but damn. That's like trying to figure out how good your car is by comparing it to those in a junkyard. I will say before the season started we were at the park and a guy and his son were there and asked to join us. The other boy was 14 and had played for a while and he pitched some so my son was taking BP off him and was actually making decent contact. I've got him fielding decently but needs work on throwing accuracy. That wasn't helped by the fact he was usually playing third and having to make long throws. But even there his throws weren't terrible. Only had a small handful that just weren't catchable. He could at least put it there on pretty much a line and wasn't lobbing hand grenades like a lot of the others. Of course next year is 90' baselines instead of the 70' this year. I just want to do what I can to encourage him. He truly seems to enjoy the sport unlike football when he tried it out.

That’s cool! If he’s into it, train him up. Keep it fun it on a schedule.

Rec ball and most junior high won’t be too different most of the time, but when things start thinning out i later years, There’s a difference. In travel ball they will sometimes see pitchers in the low 70 range and some with good breaking stuff. Not super often but they will see it. And it’s not from the full mound distance.

Please stay positive and encouraging and push him to work his *** off.

Lawdawg.sixpack

Jul 22, 2012
Here’s some actual bat advice:

Generally, 1piece bats are cheaper and more durable, but not as much pop as 2piece bats. Spend some time online, and as we get further into the summer, you can find good deals on models from the last year or 2. Or check eBay for used bats from dealers (like betterbaseball). I probably wouldn’t buy from an individual, because you don’t know who you’re buying from. But i bought a barely-used bat for my son from betterbaseball’s eBay store, and the savings were HUGE.

The Louisville Slugger Solo is a good 1-piece bat with some pop, that you can likely find for a pretty good deal.

You will need to make sure you get the right size for him. Did he use a -10 or a -5 this year? I think at 13u, the travel teams have to use a -5. Not sure when they have to go to -3. You probably want to check with the school on what he will have to swing next spring.

Also, USSSA-stamped bats are noticeably hotter than USA-stamped bats. If the school or league he will be playing in allows USSSA bats, then be sure you get one of those. This is important.

Best of luck.

Last edited:

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
What player and what era?

That is unrealistic for 99% of kids.

The team that won the CWS, guarantee you 90% or more played some form of travel ball. No way they waited until high school to get serious. They freaking recruit kids way earlier than mid high school. You want to go to MSU or most any other school you better be at showcases and then you better be a freak if you aren’t honing skills playing the “dreaded” travel ball.
Coaches are starting to get away from this mindset now, because they are seeing how many busts there are due to travel ball.

I'm not against travel ball, except for the misuse of arms. It definitely helps maximize kids to see better competition, but again, it's kind of like Texas football in that most kids are not very projectable. They are about what they are.

Look at Kam James and Kellum Clark. The work they put in, and travel ball, helped get them where they are. But they are about the same player they were now as when they got to school. Which is all fine, because it got them this great opportunity. And they both are athletic, but not very 'trained' athletically, because they didn't play multiple sports. It's a sliding scale.

Do you take a Kam James over a Hunter Renfroe?

Last edited:

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
If MLB scouts or college coaches contact your coach about your son in high school or junior high, you'll know.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
It's mostly about genes. I didn't start playing organized ball until I was 8. Didn't play travel ball until 13. Played Basketball, Tennis and Baseball throughout High School.

Now once I was 13, Dad and I practiced a much more than the average kid. We did get a pitching machine and bought wood bats by the dozen ($55 in 1974). Wilson Indesctructo was the only Aluminum bat I found that I didn't cave in after all those swings in those days. Only did it in Spring, Summer and early Fall though. So maybe 7 months of baseball activities.

So I don't buy you have to play 6U travel baseball to play in High School.

Bagman.sixpack

Jan 13, 2021

Coaches are starting to get away from this mindset now, because they are seeing how many busts there are due to travel ball.

I'm not against travel ball, except for the misuse of arms. It definitely helps maximize kids to see better competition, but again, it's kind of like Texas football in that most kids are not very projectable. They are about what they are.

Look at Kam James and Kellum Clark. The work they put in, and travel ball, helped get them where they are. But they are about the same player they were now as when they got to school. Which is all fine, because it got them this great opportunity. And they both are athletic, but not very 'trained' athletically, because they didn't play multiple sports. It's a sliding scale.

Do you take a Kam James over a Hunter Renfroe?

Like Bruce said, it’s mostly about genes.

Travel ball didn’t hurt Bryce Harper or Joey Gallo.

Continuous play doesn’t hurt Caribbean athletes.

I know of very few that only play one sport until later on (mid-high school). But only playing baseball in a one to two game a week rec league for two months won’t get it done.

James and Clark are pretty ******* good.

I’m more likely to believe we recruited mentally soft players versus we recruited “travel ball” players that just aren’t good.

I don’t think you understand that “travel ball” at the over 13-14 year age is almost exclusively showcase/being seen by scouts based tournaments.

Seriously man, I know plenty of people that played with and against guys from State and guys from State that are in the pros. They played with and against each other in “travel ball.

Last edited:

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
I talked to a MSU baseball parent at Hoover just a few years ago. They said their son played with another MSU player (from another state) on a team that was based in Tennessee. Neither player was from Tennessee. They traveled 6-10 hours most weekends to play in tournaments during the player's high school years.

Both players were major contributors to the NC.

goodknight

Jan 27, 2011
I’m sure others on the team have bats he could use. My kids always used others and other kids used there’s. 1 year if ball and I’m not spending 500 on a bat

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Go to justbats.com and there seems to be a sale. Do some research there and find the type of bat your required to have and then read reviews.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Go to justbats.com and there seems to be a sale. Do some research there and find the type of bat your required to have and then read reviews.

He's picked one out he likes. About $250 which still blows my mind bats cost that much. But here's the kicker. He wants to save up and buy it himself. No way I can let him do that, but I'll let him cover some of it. I'm just proud that at 12 he's not expecting it to just be given to him. I'm still curious, though, just how much these improve exit velo and distance over a bat from Walmart.

MStateU

Nov 15, 2009
Not sure about the specific numbers but the difference is the pure-ness of the hit and how it feels. It’s a massive difference which builds huge confidence in the kid. I have a very expensive 2 piece fastpitch bat and I would love for you to hit a few off a tee with it vs the cheapest of the alloy bats.

“Cheap bats will put a ball in play just like expensive ones” is a correct statement. So is “a wagon will roll down the road just like a Cadillac.”

Requiem For A Dawg

Dec 3, 2008
He's picked one out he likes. About $250 which still blows my mind bats cost that much. But here's the kicker. He wants to save up and buy it himself. No way I can let him do that, but I'll let him cover some of it. I'm just proud that at 12 he's not expecting it to just be given to him. I'm still curious, though, just how much these improve exit velo and distance over a bat from Walmart.

Good bats were going for $250 or more back when I played little league/travel ball 25 years ago. The first high priced bat they bought me was an Easton Redline Z-Core. I think I slept with it when I got it for my 9th birthday.

If your son is serious about baseball, it will get expensive. A good glove is around $300 as well.

To me, a good glove is more important than a good bat. He can borrow a teammates expensive bat. He can use a good glove for years to come. Make sure he properly breaks it in. When I coached, I saw several kids that were struggling fielding due to the fact they broke their glove in incorrectly.

FISHDAWG

Dec 27, 2009
I don't disagree about the difference in bats at all. But for this situation, with his limited experience, there's no need to even walk onto a Ferrari lot.

and limited strength ... at that age how much force can he actually generate that would need a $500 bat

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login