Bulldog Initiative and Maroon and Co

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
This is great and I'm glad they are doing it. I'll probably help the cause.

But geez, I don't know how many of you feel about this, and I know the only constant is change, but this is one change where it's been very difficult to me to say to myself, "This is how it is, get on board". Just blatantly paying players for loyalty.

Reactions: GloryDawg

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005

But geez, I don't know how many of you feel about this, and I know the only constant is change, but this is one change where it's been very difficult to me to say to myself, "This is how it is, get on board". Just blatantly paying players for loyalty.
Are we really getting their loyalty?*****

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Are we really getting their loyalty?*****
I know many (more than you can imagine) ex-players who truly in their heart of hearts think that MSU used them for their athletic ability. And that's true, but they are mad about it, like it's not the way of the world. So yeah, I would agree with you. And they don't ever plan to give back to the university.

The worst people are the ones who say, "why do you care if they make money?" Well, you're asking the wrong question.

Furthermore, I would have sent Tulu and Thomas packing as soon as they hit the portal. We need to adopt a hard line stance when it comes to the portal. If you enter it, stay there. Because you ain't coming back here. Toying with them and becoming their bltch has done NOTHING for us this year. We have to become this type of program.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
I don't care for NIL but I care for Mississippi State and NIL right now the best way to make an impact financially. Like I've said previously - I've adjusted my Bulldog Club donation and taken that $$$ and given it to NIL. I only give what's required for a seat license to the Bulldog Club.

Last edited:
Reactions: dgsmith15

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
That's the reality of the situation for MSU, anyways.

Heard Sanders say CO is only recruiting 6 high school kids. He said why recruit an unknown entity when you can recruit guys that have already proved they can play well or dominate D1.

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
I know many (more than you can imagine) ex-players who truly in their heart of hearts think that MSU used them for their athletic ability. And that's true, but they are mad about it, like it's not the way of the world. So yeah, I would agree with you. And they don't ever plan to give back to the university.

The worst people are the ones who say, "why do you care if they make money?" Well, you're asking the wrong question.

Furthermore, I would have sent Tulu and Thomas packing as soon as they hit the portal. We need to adopt a hard line stance when it comes to the portal. If you enter it, stay there. Because you ain't coming back here. Toying with them and becoming their bltch has done NOTHING for us this year. We have to become this type of program.
It’s easy to say “take a hard stance” until you start consistently losing your best players. Whether it’s an unfortunate reality or not - it’s reality. Play the game or get left behind.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003

And not get any high profile recruits?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It’s easy to say “take a hard stance” until you start consistently losing your best players. Whether it’s an unfortunate reality or not - it’s reality. Play the game or get left behind.
And not get any high profile recruits?
My plan is what @GloryDawg posted in post #4 above. NIL is reality, I get it. But we can't just throw it around like candy. It should be primarily to keep our current guys happy, and once in a while, buy an impact guy out of the portal. And for the high school guys, they better be an impact DL or DE.

But this going in the portal to hijack some money business? See ya later. I don't see where we've gotten much return on those two I reference this year anyway. Work your NIL out before you hit the portal. If you truly deserved it you would have gotten it anyway. If you're truly just wanting money by going in the portal, then the portal is where you should be. Tulu probably would have been happier at Bama, and Thomas at LSU.

I personally think most of our NIL should be spent on DL and some lock down corners.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022

My fear is it’s going to take us really cratering for our fans to understand how big of a deal this all is in the current environment.

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
My plan is what @GloryDawg posted in post #4 above. NIL is reality, I get it. But we can't just throw it around like candy. It should be primarily to keep our current guys happy, and once in a while, buy an impact guy out of the portal. And for the high school guys, they better be an impact DL or DE.
You say use it to keep the current guys happy, but how are you getting these “current guys” in the first place? They either have to come from High School or the portal. But if you don’t want to use NIL other than for HS or portal impact DL guys, how are you filling out a roster?

Reactions: FlotownDawg

The Fatboy

Oct 18, 2005
I went and purchased $137 on two t-shirts and a nice 90s pull over 1/4 zip. That's $6.85 for NIL. And maybe I can get my new wife to model it for me around the living room. *fingers crossed*

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
You say use it to keep the current guys happy, but how are you getting these “current guys” in the first place? They either have to come from High School or the portal. But if you don’t want to use NIL other than for HS or portal impact DL guys, how are you filling out a roster?
Was about to say the same thing. The “current guys” won’t be worth a crap if you don’t use any NIL money on high school recruits or portal players. Won’t really be worth keeping current players happy who are compiling 3-9 or 4-8 records.

Thebulldogcountry1

Nov 6, 2022

I’m getting to the point where I care less about paying players, but I worry more how the money will be spent on players. I’m sure Charlie does a great job, but we are really going to have to “moneyball” this thing. We can’t afford to let ANY player pull us into a bidding war. We are really going to have to find an advanced way to optimize how the money is spent.

ETA: I have zero confidence that our administration will commit to that.

Reactions: OG Goat Holder
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login