MarcoAropT & F - 800mCanada
NunoBorgesTennisPortugal
LeeEppieT & F - 4x400m RelayBotswana
IlanaIzquierdoSoccerColombia
CatalinaPerezSoccerColombia
AndersonPetersT & F - JavelinGrenada
AhlanaSmithBasketballPuerto Rico
CurtisThompsonT & F - JavelinUnited States

Navasky Anderson - running tomorrow, August 7, around 5:00 am Central. Anderson is in Heat 5.

Marco Arop - running tomorrow, August 7, around 5:00 am. Arop is in Heat 1.

Lee Eppie - Botswana runs their relay at 4:00 am Central on Friday, August 9.

Anderson Peters - Qualified today for the Javelin final and had the second best throw of the day at 88.63. The finals will be at 1:25 pm Central on Thursday, August 8. He has a real shot at a medal Thursday.

Of course, if you don't want to wake up at the crack of dawn to watch men's track, they're all available on demand on the Peacock app.

Catalina Perez & Ilana Izquierdo - Colombia lost an absolute heartbreaker to Spain in the quarterfinals. There were up 2-0 (and should have been 3-0 if Mayra Ramirez had tapped the ball in literally any direction but forward) until Spain scored at about the 80' mark and again in the 7th minute of added time. Colombia's GK couldn't stop Spain on penalty kicks and Colombia missed 2 of theirs. Perez is injured and hasn't played (though they really could have used her). Izquierdo came in just before the half and played most of the game. Their Olympics is over.

Nuno Borges - Put out in the first round of the men's singles and put out in the second round of men's doubles. Finished 33rd in singles and 9th in doubles. His Olympics is over.

Curtis Thompson - Did not qualify for the Javelin final and never really looked comfortable throwing. Finished 13th in his group with a best throw of 76.70. His Olympics is over.

Ahlana Smith - Puerto Rico went 0-3 and didn't make it out of the group stage and I can't find any evidence that Smith played or made it to Paris as part of the team. In any case, her Olympics is over.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Marco Arop finished second pretty easily in his heat and advances to the semifinals Friday, August 9, at 4:30 am.

Navasky Anderson finished fifth and will have to compete in the Repechage round tomorrow morning (Thursday, August 8) at 5:00 am. He will be in Heat 2.

The replay is under “Main: W 100mH R1 & more” in the Peacock app and the men’s 800m starts about halfway through. They cut between each race and women’s Javelin.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Update from today:

Navasky Anderson - Started strong, but couldn’t maintain position over the last 100m and finished 5th. His Olympics is over.

Anderson Peters - BRONZE MEDALIST! He was actually briefly leading in the second round, but a Pakistani guy set the Olympic record.

Mississippi State got a mention.

8FAFC3AA-368D-4DC7-AC5F-650378B7AE17.jpeg

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Today’s update:
Marco Arop easily won his semifinal today and has a good chance to medal tomorrow (Saturday, August 10) at noon Central in the 800 meter final.

Botswana absolutely blew everybody else in their heat away today to finish first. Eppie did not run, but is listed to run in the final tomorrow at 2:00 pm.

Reactions: FormerBully

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Have we ever had a Gold Olympic medalist?
Yes, though technically 1 was a retroactive gold.

In the 2000 Sydney Olympics, Jude Monye was part of the Nigerian men's 4 X 400m relay team. They finished second in the final and were awarded the silver medal while the US won gold. 8 years later, Antonio Pettigrew from the US relay team admitted to using performance enhancing drugs and the US relay team was stripped of their gold medals. The gold medals were then awarded to the Nigerian team, making Monye a gold medalist.

In the 1924 Paris Olympics, Scott Cochran was part of a world record setting men's 4 X 400m relay team that won gold. HailState.com has an article on him here: https://hailstate.com/news/2024/7/13/olympic-games-a-century-since-gold

There could have been more in our history, but those are the ones I know about.

jdbulldog

Oct 27, 2007
Thank you for this post…..I had no idea we had some athletes competing in the Olympics.

Reactions: Dawgg

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Botswana got the silver in the Men’s 4 x 400m relay. Eppie did not run.

That concludes Mississippi State’s participation in the 2024 Olympics.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Thank you for this post…..I had no idea we had some athletes competing in the Olympics.
It’s made me invest in some events I wouldn’t normally pay attention to. From what I read in one article, this was the most we’ve ever sent to one Olympics.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login