@bulldogbruce

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Last year I believe you mentioned several former players were not happy with the trajectory of the program. Has that changed from this season? And if so why?

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I have not been in a situation where I have been around any of the guys this season so I am not sure. I know I still see a lack of fundamentals and actual understanding of playing baseball. Pitching was definitely better. Defense was good. I have made clear on my opinion of the overall hitting of this team. I wrote on here that I thought Jordan and Hines were going to be a new hitting duo like Thunder and Lightning or Gman and Me this season. For hitting 20 and 17 they sure did not live up to that level. They never really gelled together. It always seemed to be one or the other was on and the other was way off. Hitting was NOT contagious on this team.

I am not around the younger kids anymore so maybe this micromanaging that has grown over the years is what is rearing it's ugly head. Maybe these kids are never expected to know how to play, they are just told how to play and that is okay with coaches today.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I am not around the younger kids anymore so maybe this micromanaging that has grown over the years is what is rearing it's ugly head. Maybe these kids are never expected to know how to play, they are just told how to play and that is okay with coaches today.
While there sure is a lot of this going on at the younger ages, I mean, baseball is still a simple game. Our baserunning blunders are not some astrophysics, it's more dumbassedry than anything. While travel culture can be good or bad, the fact is, most of the kids are definitely overcoached but you can't tell me they aren't learning the game - I mean that's all they are doing, 24-7. It's impossible not to, at least by the time they are in high school.

And I also love how all our people try and act like this is a problem across the board (baserunning, fundamentals, etc.) - NO, it's a problem in OUR program.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
While there sure is a lot of this going on at the younger ages, I mean, baseball is still a simple game. Our baserunning blunders are not some astrophysics, it's more dumbassedry than anything. While travel culture can be good or bad, the fact is, most of the kids are definitely overcoached but you can't tell me they aren't learning the game - I mean that's all they are doing, 24-7. It's impossible not to, at least by the time they are in high school.

And I also love how all our people try and act like this is a problem across the board (baserunning, fundamentals, etc.) - NO, it's a problem in OUR program.
Yeah, I can only assume our base running issues are due to being too aggressive. Good and bad I guess. We’ve probably scored runs or taken extra bases that teams in the past wouldn’t have… but sure seems like we give up outs on the bases more than most.

Oct 17, 2023
Yeah, I can only assume our base running issues are due to being too aggressive. Good and bad I guess. We’ve probably scored runs or taken extra bases that teams in the past wouldn’t have… but sure seems like we give up outs on the bases more than most.
So DJ sliding into left field and running to the 2nd baseman with the ball when if he had just stopped they couldn't have turned the double play and we score is being too aggressive.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I wonder how much of it is because we don't drill the basics into our players and teach some more about exit velocity and those things. I see a lot similar behaviors in other teams that I have watched this weekend.

Reactions: patdog
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login