But he didn't fire Lemonis!

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
How many people on this board wrote this man off solely because he didn't fire Lemonis two months into getting the job?

I have no idea how Lebby will turn out, but Selmon has absolutely done great work in 9 months as AD. Fully embraced NIL, moved on from CZA, and ignited the fanbase with the Lebby hire - both from an interest and financial standpoint. Last night was a perfect representation of why we needed new blood in the athletic department. Some might say "who cares about putting on a show", but this is an entertainment business and last night was quality entertainment. Entertainment brings interest, interest brings money and money helps you win games - and the cycle goes on.

"Silent Selmon" sure is making some noise.

1701184222810.png

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
He probably did not want to handicap the Athletic Department with a large buyout for a baseball coach less than 6 months into his tenure at MSU.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
They'll crucify you even though you're correct
We're not giving up baseball dude. I don't know why some of you keep bltching about it. It's not an option, especially now with the last decade leading up to the national title, a whole new generation of fans was born and more rabid than ever. Not to mention MS is such a baseball-centric state.

Reactions: Anon1697564126

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Baseball is a snoozer and doesn’t pay the bills. It needs to be treated like the intramural sport it is
"Snoozer" and "intramural". Regularly out draws basketball and all other sports except football for attendance but ok.

All of those attendees buy tickets, pay parking, concessions, souvenirs, stay in hotels, eat at restaurants, buy baseball groceries, gasoline, etc etc. This season there are 36 home baseball games to just 15 for basketball. Just because you don't go, don't be shatting on it.......did you get hit by a baseball in Little League and develop a phobia?

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Baseball is a snoozer and doesn’t pay the bills. It needs to be treated like the intramural sport it is
We get it that you don’t care about baseball… but you make this comment on every baseball related thread. Why spend so much of your time on this? Most on the board enjoy baseball and no one is changing their mind on that, especially based on RockyDog.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012

unimpressed michael keaton GIF

Bully1972

Jan 2, 2020
Our baseball program absolutely compliments the football program because it has a favorable impact on the MSU national brand and perception. The more successful our basketball and baseball programs are the stronger the athletic department is as a whole and the stronger our football program can be. There are also some major donors who give primarily due to their love of our baseball and/or basketball programs. If you think baseball is on the level of an "intramural sport" you have no idea what you are talking about.

bannerdawg

Aug 15, 2013
How many people on this board wrote this man off solely because he didn't fire Lemonis two months into getting the job?

I have no idea how Lebby will turn out, but Selmon has absolutely done great work in 9 months as AD. Fully embraced NIL, moved on from CZA, and ignited the fanbase with the Lebby hire - both from an interest and financial standpoint. Last night was a perfect representation of why we needed new blood in the athletic department. Some might say "who cares about putting on a show", but this is an entertainment business and last night was quality entertainment. Entertainment brings interest, interest brings money and money helps you win games - and the cycle goes on.

View attachment 461652
Meh

LimaoCabeca

Nov 17, 2022

View attachment 461652
Will you have the same opinion after year 3 of Chizik baseball?

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
It gets plenty of TV coverage throughout the year and massive amounts in the postseason.

But, yes. It’s a glorified flag football.*****

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
It gets plenty of TV coverage throughout the year and massive amounts in the postseason.

But, yes. It’s a glorified flag football.*****
I love State baseball and don't follow women's basketball. But WBB consistently has higher viewership. The CWS this year broke all of it's previous viewership records. But still twice as many people watched the Women's national championship than the CWS final. And yes, I know it's one game vs a 3 game series. But WBB beats it by pretty much any viewership metric you want to use.

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
Football may have more butts in the seats, but not that many more. Football attendance this year = 435,638; Baseball attendance = 332,838
Now do average ticket price, concessions, and advertisements - to name a few.

And yeah, I know football inflates the attendance some. But it pales in comparison to claiming 7,500 fans on a Tuesday night in February vs Pine Bluff with 150 people in the stands.

Indndawg

Nov 16, 2005

View attachment 461652
I would say that Lonnie Tinkle would have kept CZA thru next season and still hesitated to pull the trigger. Salmon for the win

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
I love State baseball and don't follow women's basketball. But WBB consistently has higher viewership. The CWS this year broke all of it's previous viewership records. But still twice as many people watched the Women's national championship than the CWS final. And yes, I know it's one game vs a 3 game series. But WBB beats it by pretty much any viewership metric you want to use.
I’m not even sure what point you’re trying to make. The other guy acted like baseball was intramural. It isn’t.

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
I’m not even sure what point you’re trying to make. The other guy acted like baseball was intramural. It isn’t.
My point was regarding your viewership comments. College baseball gets very low viewership during the regular season. There's a jump for postseason, but as I mentioned - even with that jump it doesn't even get close to WBB numbers. Almost no College Baseball programs make a profit. I don't know our numbers, but with paying off the new Dude, we either make a small profit or none at all. Again, I love College Baseball. But I recognize where it is from an overall importance standpoint too.

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
Football may have more butts in the seats, but not that many more. Football attendance this year = 435,638; Baseball attendance = 332,838
Having a good baseball team is fun and my son will remember our boys trip to Omaha for the finals long after I’m gone.

But:… four teams (us, OM, ARK, and LSU) turn a profit in baseball and it’s not a large one. The SEC doesn’t cut us a $50M check (soon to be $70M) because of a good baseball team. Football is king and the reality is that if the football team is doing well, the majority of MSU fans are just casual baseball observers like me and baseball is just another sport to pass the time cheering for MSU until it’s football season again.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
My point was regarding your viewership comments. College baseball gets very low viewership during the regular season. There's a jump for postseason, but as I mentioned - even with that jump it doesn't even get close to WBB numbers. Almost no College Baseball programs make a profit. I don't know our numbers, but with paying off the new Dude, we either make a small profit or none at all. Again, I love College Baseball. But I recognize where it is from an overall importance standpoint too.
I still don’t get how this plays into your original post.

My reply was to the guy saying baseball is an intramural sport, which is dumb. I don’t care how many people watch WBB, baseball is a pretty big deal compared to most sports.

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
I still don’t get how this plays into your original post.

My reply was to the guy saying baseball is an intramural sport, which is dumb. I don’t care how many people watch WBB, baseball is a pretty big deal compared to most sports.
It’s a big deal compared to Cross Country and Volleyball. But in college athletics, there are only 2 big deals in Football and Men’s basketball. College baseball can’t even be mentioned in the same breath as those two, especially football. No, it’s not an intramural level sport. But nationally, it’s much closer to College Hockey than College Football.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
It’s a big deal compared to Cross Country and Volleyball. But in college athletics, there are only 2 big deals in Football and Men’s basketball. College baseball can’t even be mentioned in the same breath as those two, especially football. No, it’s not an intramural level sport. But nationally, it’s much closer to College Hockey than College Football.
It’s in no way closer to hockey, lacrosse or any of the club sports like that. ESPN dedicated a showcase for every baseball regional, and every World Series game is televised in its entirety. You have to have some absurd channel to keep up with hockey, and only the finals of lacrosse are on TV.

Again, I’m at a loss for how you veered onto this. You’re no better than the other guy at this point.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login