But why did Doc resign?

Bigohh

Feb 23, 2008
I think the folks pointing to the IHL as the root of the problem are dead on. Something's going on there detrimental to MSU. But why would Doc abruptly resign?
Here's my theory. Doc's a military guy, and they follow orders. However, there may come a time when you can not do that in good conscience at which point resignation is your only option. Then, when you're on the outside you can debate the issue.
Is that what happened here? Was Doc was told to do something, or something was being done, which was so objectionable that he felt his only option was to resign? And if that is the case, will he fight the fight when he is no longer in office?
I just don't believe Doc wasn't up to a fight. Four star generals who have ordered America's best into combat aren't going to get too worried about Faculity Senate or IHL issues.

TurfDog82

Mar 3, 2008
Some reasons/rumors running around campus have something to do with the LFL at Dudy-Noble. Not sure how much legs this has but Doc doing something like that would have made since.

seingeyedog

Mar 3, 2008
I think Doc would never resign over petty personality issues with groups on campus who have a problem with accountability. By the way, right or wrong, that is what I see as the root cause of all the hurt feelings on campus and in the faculty senate: certain folks, especially tenured professors, are not likely to accept being held accountable. However, when dollars are scarce and tightly contested, accountability must play a primary role in allocating funds. Anyway, I suspect that Doc was not the puppet to the IHL on certain matters, so he was pressured to resign. Sure, the on campus spats may have added to the problem, but ultimately it probably had something to do with Doc vs the IHL. Always wondered why Foglesong took the job in the first place when he could have taken a much more lucrative position as a defense contractor lobbyist or political lobbyist. Don't think he will be without a job for very many days once he officially steps down as our university president. It would be beneficial from a PR standpoint that he announce his next gig soon and that it be much more prestigious than the job he has now. I think he was good for Mississippi State the university. His sudden departure hurts us; the rumors and public statements released thus far do not reflect well on our university.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
you were most likely correct with this quote:
ultimately it probably had something to do with Doc vs the IHL
but the accountability of tenured professors? c'mon. what is he going to do, go see if they are in their offices during office hours; check to see if they are following their syllabus; see if they have typed an extra few pages on multi-year long research projects this week; prepped extra hard for their classes this week? people saying that doc is making professors accountable have heard this from others and haven't thought it through very well. he was only here at MSU for (almost) 2 years. that is nowhere long enough to hold any faculty members accountable. hell the tenure process takes a full 6 years at most schools.

from professrs what i have heard and seen it was his military style, changing of budgets to fund all of the projects on campus rather than raising money to fund the majority of the projects, picking stupid *** battles like flowers and shadow boxes, etc. of course staff types were held more accountable for their jobs because many staff jobs are typical "real world" jobs that can be directed like a business. the professors though....not so much.

the IHL issues are just another layer to add to why he is leaving....and as you have suggested it is the main reason in my opinion.

seingeyedog

Mar 3, 2008
Sorry if i didn't make it clear, but I was referring to accountability for funding. I seem to recall Foglesong demanding accountability before allocating scarce funds. I think he wanted the dollars to go where MSU would get the most bang for the buck. Of course this apparently didn't apply to daffodils.

SnakePlissken

Feb 24, 2008
DerHntr said:
picking stupid *** battles like flowers and shadow boxes, etc.
Who actually them stupid *** battles? The flower lovers and staff perhaps? Had they just not started petitions and made such issues out of those things it wouldn't have been a big deal. In the grand scheme of things.....They were flowers for heavens sake.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login