Buy or Sell - a way to combat what NIL is doing is to bring back...

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
SELL - NIL groups would just pay them while they sit out and would it even stand up to a legal challenge?

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
What's the legal challenge? The transfer rule would be up to the NCAA. The legalities are around NIL I thought.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
I honestly don't know.. it just seems whenever athletes decide to challenge an NCAA rule in court they win.

I could see the argument being made that the NCAA is illegally hindering their rights to earn money by not letting them play when coaches don't have to sit out when they change schools.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Coaches have a contract. There is protection for both parties if the contract isn't fulfilled by both sides.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I partially blame the NIL money givers for not creating a pay structures not revolved around some sort of performance.

But yes, the sit out rule is a quick fix.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
I know I'm in the minority on this.. but the sooner players are under contract too this will all settle down. It's time for college athletics to face the fact that players are simply employees. I no longer care what their major is, how their grades look or even if they're attending class.

In the immortal words from the drunk in the green shirt in Roadhouse..

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/943878a8-4097-4b27-ba0a-030d9f11d97d

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
The scholarship is essentially a contract and it’s for 1 year. What is wrong with a player deciding to leave after that?

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I partially blame the NIL money givers for not creating a pay structures not revolved around some sort of performance.

But yes, the sit out rule is a quick fix.

I agree but boosters are only interested in getting that kid on campus and keeping him off the campus of their rival. We are going to see the biggest spending spree in the State of Texas since the oil boom. I am talking stupid money being spent stoopidly. That's why Saban is so worried. Their booster are willing to spend money but they don't have stoopid money like those weirdo's in Texas.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Might want to go ahead and facture how the player's union is gonna react to this... **

patdog

May 28, 2007
Easy buy. Rule should be if you transfer, you sit out a year. No exceptions. First transfer, the year you sit out doesn't count towards your 5 years to play 4, so you get a 6th year to play your 4. Doesn't penalize the player in any way, but it would cut down some on transfers.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I guess you could. But coaches benefit from being able to tell a kid to transfer too. Lemonis is turning over a large portion of the roster that wouldn’t be possible with 4 year contracts/scholarships.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
I'm fine with the current transfer rule and NIL within reason. Kids should be able to go to school where they want, when they want. They also should be paid, but that should have a more specific figure or cap. Pros have a salary cap per team. Once the players unionize and some others are making money on it, then we'll see a cap IMO. Nothing we can do about money on the side from outside world though. Maybe create a free agency pool of some kind, since colleges are now employers.

Last edited:

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Easy buy. Rule should be if you transfer, you sit out a year. No exceptions. First transfer, the year you sit out doesn't count towards your 5 years to play 4, so you get a 6th year to play your 4. Doesn't penalize the player in any way, but it would cut down some on transfers.

I wonder would cutting down transfers would hurt, help or have no effect on us?

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Depends on what you're talking about. It would be team specific, and sport specific.

Sell, in regards to MSU football. Portal levels the field. It allows us to obtain talent from the G5 (who want a step up) and the P5 elites (talented guys on the bench, looking for PT). Take that away and we're just at the bottom of the pack. And we rarely have that 'star' who would get a chance, and actually want, to transfer out. Most starters at an SEC school won't take that chance.

Generally, I think you can probably say the same thing. The elites will still get the top guys, but at least their foundation will erode a little bit. At the end of the day, players want to play. The ones motivated simply by NIL likely won't last.

I think the NIL and portal go hand in hand.

DAWG61

Feb 26, 2008
You combat NIL by making the schools actually pay the athletes since ya know they've been profiting billions off them for 40 years now.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
I know I'm in the minority on this.. but the sooner players are under contract too this will all settle down. It's time for college athletics to face the fact that players are simply employees. I no longer care what their major is, how their grades look or even if they're attending class.

I can see it now....Harvard and Yale return to their football glory years😀 not many with more money than those schools and alumni base. If the "student athlete" becomes just an employee and these richly endowed schools give a rip then they could be back on top again....now that would be rich!! Harvard vs Yale for the Natty

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
So student-athletes be university employees with all the benefits and consequences?

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
The scholarship is essentially a contract and it’s for 1 year. What is wrong with a player deciding to leave after that?
Agree. Soaring coaching salaries drove us to NIL, and the fact that coaches cut players routinely at the end of each year (and can leave anytime) drove us to the portal.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021

Yeah, I see your point, but disagree. I think NIL and portal is the better way to go. Players are only in school for 4-5 years, I think any talk of 'employment' at a school, for a student, is kind of silly.

A few years from now NIL/portal will just be the norm, rather than some doomsday deal. Should have happened slowly over the years, like coaching salaries and TV contracts, but since it didn't, here we are.

There's always a tipping point.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
So student-athletes be university employees with all the benefits and consequences?
You won't get an answer to those tough questions. I think it's mostly just virtue signaling when people talk about player employment. We already have that option - the NFL. And CFL, XFL, etc. If you don't like those options, might be best to invest in other careers (which is best done at college last time I checked).

You can't just 'make' things happen. The market dictates that.

DAWG61

Feb 26, 2008
It's not a tough question. No I don't think student athletes should be university employees just like I don't think the headline band that plays during Super Bulldog Weekend should be a university employee.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
It's not a tough question. No I don't think student athletes should be university employees just like I don't think the headline band that plays during Super Bulldog Weekend should be a university employee.
Like I figured, you in no way answered his question. If you don't have a solution, it's not a real answer.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
First transfer no sit out penalty. Second transfer is a year sit out. Subsequent transfers are two years riding the pine. Allow them to change once if they find out they're truly not happy at a school or any other circumstance. After that got to pay the piper.

coachnorm

Jul 23, 2015
What's the legal challenge? The transfer rule would be up to the NCAA. The legalities are around NIL I thought.

On issue, the NCAA and conferences have been de fanged and declawed by SCOUS. Any effort to end run SCOUS intentions by a pittance NCAA rule will be quashed. A transfer rule would be seen as a contempt of SCOUS and will be litigated as such.

DAWG61

Feb 26, 2008
Are you referencing the same post? No is an answer last I checked. My first post in this thread is my solution. You need me to repeat it for you or can you manage to read it for yourself?

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
This is what got us here. Every NCAA rule was put in place to favor the school and place a limitation on the students even about things that had nothing to do with the school. They always stated it was to give no special privileges to athletes, but it ended up restricting athletes more than any other scholarship student at that school. The students had absolutely no say in any of it. The schools refused to be reasonable.

They could currently outlaw and refuse to talk to any booster concerning players. This way NIL providers would be hesitant to make offers to kids they don't know the coaches are interested in. NIL contracts are not suppose to have any conditions on school attendance. The boosters could take a chance, but after getting burned a few times, it might quiet down. When the Alabama money pays for an Auburn or Georgia player, it will be more like imagined where you get the NIL after you show up.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login