Buy or Sell

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
With NIL and the portal, the days of State or Ole Miss signing players like Chris Jones, Jeffrey Simmons, AJ Brown or other top in-state talents are over. The top players will be looking for pay days that the two in-state schools can’t offer.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
With NIL and the portal, the days of State or Ole Miss signing players like Chris Jones, Jeffrey Simmons, AJ Brown or other top in-state talents are over. The top players will be looking for pay days that the two in-state schools can’t offer.
Tell that to Perkins from Raleigh
ETA and to think that these players you are talking about weren’t paid for is naive. They are just paid more now, as there are more resources, and publicly.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Slight Sell - I don’t know how much it’ll matter with MS / AL kids.

But, I do worry about holding onto players from Atlanta, New Orleans, Dallas, etc.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Sell.

State moved away from signing top in-state student athletes before NIL.

I go into this a little bit in my responses to Goat in The Athletic Mississippi Recruiting Confidential thread I started last year:

Link

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
We will sign them. Just not a 44 man two deep like Bama, Georgia and others. That's the next level we won't be at

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
We will just pick them up out of the portal when they bolt Alabama or UGA

was21

May 29, 2007
Sell

patdog

May 28, 2007
Tell that to Perkins from Raleigh
ETA and to think that these players you are talking about weren’t paid for is naive. They are just paid more now, as there are more resources, and publicly.

He’s a 4*. Neither us or Mississippi have a 5* committed.

MeridianDog

Sep 3, 2008
My hope is recruiting will stay about the same, since schools can only sign up so any players. When they hit their limit of signees (all 5 star players at Bama, GA, aTm, etc) schools like MSU wil recruit from the leftovers.If they develop for us, some 5-star school will take them second or third or fourh year through the "portal of theft". Perhaps we will get some of their castaways through that same portal. Sadly I see not that many three and four star players staying with the rich programs all four years. Many will be forced out and go looking for a new school. Maybe we wil get some of them.

It will be a given that players we sign will leave to follow the money if they wind up being high value players after a year or two of training at MSU or hte schools like us.

Hopefully it will sort itself out eventually, but the "Good Old Days" are gone forever, just like Len Lew's, and the Crossroads.

Sigh.

Reactions: Pilgrimdawg

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Sell. I think that you may see more players taking a chance on a school because they know they can move at will.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
If a 4 or 5* is offered $100-200k by us and one of the blue bloods offers $500k we will lose out. Not all high star players will be offered top $$ tho as some of those players have baggage or simply are not as good as the rating.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Sell.
Jeffrey Simmons was offered a lot more money to go somewhere else than he got to come to Mississippi state.

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007
Buy, kinda.

The kinda is that we'll lose out on them coming out of high school, but might get them in the portal. If the NIL deals are front-loaded or have the same value year-to-year, we could pick up good quality players who aren't getting much playing time. Yeah $200k/year is a lot for a college player, but if you have one year of eligibility left, aren't getting the PT you want, and still have NFL dreams, you might give up that $200k for a shot, even if it means transferring to a school that could only give you $50k max.

I think it will end up like the MLB draft where college seniors get screwed on signing bonuses. You'll be able to get good athletes with one year of eligibility left without having to provide much of your own NIL money (not that they can't figure out how to get extra on their own).

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
He’s a 4*. Neither us or Mississippi have a 5* committed.
And the topic said nothing about 5* players. It even listed a 4* in AJ Brown. We’re talking about the top players in the state, and Perkins is the top player in MS

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login