Buy/Sell: Jeff Flagg should be a permanent staple in our lineup.....

G

Goat Holder

at least when we are facing a left-handed pitcher.

G

Goat Holder

I think he can consistently hit for decent average with some bombs if he's given the opportunity. If you play him sporadically, like this year, you take away his effectiveness. He's always a threat to go yard, you just have to give him the at-bats.

I think Nappi should be in the outfield, and Flagg should DH. Sit either Ryan Collins or Andy Rice, whoever's in a slump.

Columbus Dawg

Feb 23, 2008
He's struck out 7 times in 15 AB's. We need guys who can put the ball in play. Ryan Collins is batting .364.

G

Goat Holder

If he gets consistent ABs, he produces. If not, he never gets it together. Last year when he was playing consistently he hit plenty of bombs and right around .300.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
he should DH or play first. He had some of our biggest hits last year and hit .312 overall in his first significant action.

Tyler Moore is struggling and striking out at about the same rate Flagg did last year.

Columbus Dawg

Feb 23, 2008
Last year, Flagg struck out 24 times in 93 AB's.
As a freshmen, he struck out 10 times in 11 AB's.

Polk has said that Flagg hits much better when he plays a position. He's just not a very good DH. So I could buy Flagg over Moore at first. At least a trial run of 4 or 5 games.

G

Goat Holder

...'til I looked up his stats. The couple of times I watched him I saw him hit bombs, and he's started every game, so I just figured he was cemented as a starter. Moore that is. Polk is hardheaded like that, probably will let him keep playing like Bunky Kateon.

For whatever reason, I don't think Flagg has ever gotten a fair shot. I thought he shouldv'e started 2 years ago.

MSUArrowCS

Dec 19, 2006
Use him to put some pressure on Moore at 1B, who's been slumping, not to penalize Ryan Collins. I could almost see him playing in RF, but only against lefties.

But he'd be like Andruw Jones on the Braves last year ... until he proves he can hit for a better average, you'd need to bat him 6th or 7th, not in the 4 or 5 spot.

MSUArrowCS

Dec 19, 2006
at 1B/DH/OF the last couple of years, so hard to argue with that. I do think he deserves a shot at 1B right now.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
last year so for a power guy his average is fine. It's really nonsensical to not find a spot for him. Sit the guys that are batting below .250 and striking out a higher rate than Flagg did last year.

But Polk stuck with Andy Rice and he'll stick with Moore.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
he just got hurt. That's where his playing time went.

MSUArrowCS

Dec 19, 2006
but right now he's batting 200 with 7 Ks. Even if it is in limited action, it's not the kind of thing you want batting cleanup - all I'm saying is bring him in from the bottom up.

I think Polk will be less likely to put him in the OF everyday because of the LH/RH matchups, but against left-handers, there's no reason not to play Flagg over Rice.

G

Goat Holder

dude only gets to bat once every two games or so. Hard to judge what somebody can do by that. Must be something else going on at practice.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
"but right now he's batting 200 with 7 Ks"

He was worse in limited at bats in 06 and we saw how well he did last year.

The guy can hit. Polk needs to stop being stubborn and just give him some ABs. What's the worst that can happen...he hits .246?

MSUArrowCS

Dec 19, 2006
I'm not disagreeing with either of you, I'm just making the point that we shouldn't put him in the middle of the order unless he's hitting a higher average. Is that an outlandish statement? Is it anti-Flagg? I don't intend it to be ... just saying that we do have power hitters already hitting for a higher average, so he wouldn't have the pressure of batting cleanup or 5th for example, until he was ready for it. Me = not a Flagg burner.

G

Goat Holder

I just want him in the lineup, probably at 7th or 8th.

I like guys that hit bombs. LSU was the most dominant team for the longest time because they out-homered people. I realize it was roids, but **** we have guys that can hit it out of the park, roids or not. Play them. Especially when their competition is hitting sub-.250 or dropping fly balls in the outfield.

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
Buy. I say give him a shot at first. Use Moore as a defensive replacement.

I just figured Flagg wasn't getting a lot of PT because he had hurt his wrist. He may be healthy now.

awalkerdog

Feb 18, 2007
I agree, he should be playing first and batting somewhere in the middle of the line up. Polk has got to give Flagg some more at batts, he may be only batting 200 but that is in inconsistent at bats at the plate. Put him in the line-up for a couple of weeks and I think he could prove his worth.

State82

Feb 27, 2008
definitely only against a lefty. He makes me very nervous playing defense in right.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login