Buy/Sell: Lovie Smith knew he was getting fired

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I've always liked the guy. Don't understand how he went from being so good with the Bears to struggling so much.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I've always liked the guy. Don't understand how he went from being so good with the Bears to struggling so much.
To be fair, the Texans were a mess already. They fired their previous coach, David Culley, after one season and I'm not sure what they were expecting Smith to do with one season.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I feel like most NFL coaches are good enough that it's primarily about the players. If you are a good coach and have a competent front office and don't get hit too badly by injuries, you will look good. If you are a good coach and have an incompetent front office and/or get unlucky with injuries, you won't look good. Probably a few coaches bad enough to look bad regardless and a few coaches good enough to compensate for a bad front office or bad injury luck to an extent, but mainly you just have to be really good as a coach to just not hurt your team.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
He should have gone for 2 anyway because he’s a football coach who is supposed to be trying to win football games. If the front office didn’t want him to win, they should have made him send the scout team out there to play the game.

NFL’s draft pick system is 17ed. There should never, ever be an incentive for a coach or team to lose a game. They need to institute a lottery.

Turfdoc992

Oct 3, 2022
So, he intentionally went for 2 to ensure the Texans would lose the #1 pick as a final "17 you" on his way out the door.

I'm leaning 'Buy'.
Some teams don't like that #1 overall pick. Everyone remembers that pick, especially if it does not work out so well. Few remember #2.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login