Buy/Sell: MSU with best backfield in the SECW

Mag51

Aug 16, 2007
With the power running of Dixon and Ducre, combined with explosiveness from Elliott and Bonner, the backfield will be as deep as ever before. Honestly, I don't know that much about Bonner but Elliott should compete for some serious PT.

If we could only throw the ball semi effectively to keep 8 and 9 out of the box, we could gain some huge yards on the ground.

Mag51

Aug 16, 2007
With the power running of Dixon and Ducre, combined with explosiveness from Elliott and Bonner, the backfield will be as deep as ever before. Honestly, I don't know that much about Bonner but Elliott should compete for some serious PT.

If we could only throw the ball semi effectively to keep 8 and 9 out of the box, we could gain some huge yards on the ground.

Oct 17, 2007
I'm sure one of Bonner/Elliot will pan out, if you were saying SEC overall no, but SEC West is a definite buy

RebelBruiser

Aug 21, 2007
Not going to buy or sell one way or another, but when you look at the rest of the SEC West, there really isn't a backfield that stands out to you like they have in the past. Obviously LSU has been stacked for years at RB, but outside of Keiland Williams and Holliday (who is more of a receiver), they are fairly unproven. Auburn has had some great backfields, but no one stands out for them this year. Arkansas has always had great RBs too, but they are completely unproven this year as well.

By default, MSU may have the best backfield in the SEC West, though I might put LSU slightly ahead, because I like KW better than Dixon, and I'm sure guys like Charles Scott and others will step up and be studs for them as usual.

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007
Georgia has the best with Moreno/Whoever else.

In the SEC.

What the hell, I'll go with a buy for the SEC West.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
OM is the dark horse. Enrique Davis is, by all accounts, a stud. If they could get one of the Meridian guys to start living up to the hype they could have a great backfield.

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
I still think Ducre and Dixon are a solid group but not really special. They will have their good games and their bad games. We don't know how Bonner and Elliot are going to pan out. Our backfield my end up being great, so in the tradition of Peaches I'll say that if they do just that I didn't really mean that sell.

Henry Kissinger

Aug 30, 2006
no way they have the best backfield in the west next year. and if they do somehow, feel free to pull this post back up and blast me. i'd deserve it.

patdog

May 28, 2007
LSU has better RBs than we do. Even without Coach's man-crush. Seriously. Richard Murphy averaged 6.6 yards per carry. And he's only FOURTH amoung their returning running backs who saw significant action last fall.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Quote:_________________________________________________I still think Ducre and Dixon are a solid group but not really special_________________________________________________
I couldn't agree with you more.

G

Goat Holder

1) Auburn - Lester, Fannin, Davis, Tate
2) LSU - Williams, Murphy
3) MSU - you know who
4) Alabama - Grant, Coffee
5) Ole Miss - ??
6) UPig - nobody

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
When was the last time their backfield wasn't at least decent? Same with Auburn, they put a lot of good RBs through that program.

thunderclap

Feb 25, 2008
particularly because we don't have a home run hitter in the backfield. Hopefully Elliot will be that, but it's yet to be seen.

dudehead

Jul 9, 2006
in their new O. They may have the best backs - I don't know. But they aint going to be running the ball as much as the AU RBs of the past.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Auburn ain't going to throw the ball much with Kodi Burns. Now they may bring in someone else to run the offense, but if Burns is playing QB they're going to be running the ball a lot.

Edited to add, last year Burns ran the ball 54 times for 203 yards and threw it 26 times for 145 yards.

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
Quote:_________________________________________________Now they may bring in someone else to run the offense_________________________________________________
They did, Chris Todd, and he is already hurt, allowing Burns to be a fairly solid #1 at this point in the spring. I get the feeling if they can get Todd healthy though, they would feel more comfortable with him in at least the Leak role, with Burns playing Tebow.

dudehead

Jul 9, 2006
who knows whether they'll be good at it. They got a QB to walk on (I forget his name) because he ran this O in high school.

They are going to a wide open no huddle spread with a 9 to 10 receiver rotation (much to the dismay of many old AU faithful, I might add). Whether they presently have the talent to that or do it well is another question.

patdog

May 28, 2007
They can plan to throw it all they want, and if they get a different QB they very well may do that. But with Burns, they'll figure out real quick that it's a lot better to run option than to keep punting on 3-and-outs that run 30 seconds off the clock.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login