Buy/Sell Nolan Richardson at Arky State is good for MSU

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
Nolan Richardson, former Arkansas Head Coach, is interviewing for the opening at ASU. If Richardson takes the job and upgrades to compete on the Div 1 level, this should have a direct effect on recruiting in the Hog state. Would this have an indirect benefit to MSU and UM?

C

Cains Major

Sell, This guy is a disease where ever he is. I don't think we recruit in the same circles as he will, no threat to us.

Todd04State

May 2, 2006
Arkansas State doesn't even register in that State. That's like asking if Delta State's basketball recruiting is going to affect MSU or Ole Miss because they hired Richard Williams.

theredflash17

Jun 3, 2007
Arkansas State isn't quite as bad as Delta State...
Arkansas is a D1 school that plays in the Sun Belt conference. Mississippi doesn't really have a counterpart for them, but if it did, it would be somewhere in between Jackson State and Southern Miss...

Anyway, I'll say soft buy just because if Nolan Richardson steals even one quality player away from the Hogs, it'll help us.

Agentdog

Aug 16, 2006
ASU is ignored in the state. Any recruit they go head up against the Pigs will be steered toward the Pigs.

If you ever really want to see a red-headed stepchild, look no further than Jonesboro. It is crazy the way they are ignored in state.

HD6

Apr 8, 2003
the last player we signed from Arkansas. However, maybe he can get the old Ole Miss pipeline I created a conspiracy theory about going.

drunkernhelldawg

Nov 25, 2007
I don't know what's going on there now, but they beat us a few times on the gridiron during the 80's. The fact that they've hired him shows that they're trying to come up.

Nolan is a strong personality with a system. Certain players may latch on to it. I wouldn't be surprised to see him build something there.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Edit to add: But I don't think he would count since he was a juco transfer from Three Rivers in Missouri.

orthodawg08

Feb 23, 2008
I agree that Delta State isn't really comparable to Ark State, but then to say they are somewhere between Jackson State and Southern Miss? I'll give you Southern Miss, but DSU regularly pounds JSU.

Todd04State

May 2, 2006
Let's just say that it would be like MSU losing players to South Alabama. The only way that happens is if they get pissed and transfer.

Arkansas State is not going to get all the talent in Arkansas just because of Nolan Richardson. HS kids in Arkansas are going to want to play for Arkansas, and if they get the chance they will, even if Rod Barnes is their coach.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login