Buy/Sell - Penalties can alter a college or pro football game winner

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Football has been called "The Game of Inches". Teams go for it on 4th down and win or lose. No team has been the victim of incorrect calls more than MSU. Just last season the Mempho and Arky games were turned into losses by the officials. There is even a history of MSU losses to Alabama where officials later apologized for their wrong calls. Well placed penalties after big plays can turn a win into a loss.

I'm a strong buy on this one. I've seen it happen way too many times where a team is favored by the officials. Especially during intraconference games where the officials are from one conference.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
I don’t know how anyone could have watched the Saints/Rams NFC title game from 2019 and not thought the missed pass interference call decided the outcome of that game. And that was a game with a trip to the dang Super Bowl on the line.

Aug 22, 2012
What makes that non-call in the Saints/Rams game so egregious and interesting is that the away team benefitted. There have been studies that show the real advantage of home field is that refs are affected by it. And yet, they kept their flags in their pocket on an obvious pass interference AND targeting call. If you wanted to be a conspiracy theorist, which I don't really go for, you wouldn't need much more ammo than that call.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
I used to buy, but am selling lightly on the way down. The advent of instant replay on every 3rd play and the clarifying of rules -- particularly those with judgement call classifications - will imporve with time.

"Crooked zebras" will be be identified by analytics and the eyes in the skies.

BASKETBALL, however, is a different matter, IMHO....

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Didn't help with Mempho or Arky

I used to buy, but am selling lightly on the way down. The advent of instant replay on every 3rd play and the clarifying of rules -- particularly those with judgement call classifications - will imporve with time.

"Crooked zebras" will be be identified by analytics and the eyes in the skies.

I don't think holding is reviewable. Can be called on every play to nullify TDs or big plays.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
#Truth

All I'm saying is that I believe officiating efficiencies will happen with time. Maybe I'm the optimist, but continual fuzzziness of the rules will not be good for the game -- especially the casual fanes

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I don’t know about the outcome being changed

But the line can be easily affected. Especially NBA. With the way so many guys are automatic from free throw line, a whistle basically equals a point or two at the right time. They already had one ref go to prison for it, I don’t believe he was acting alone. Now with sports gambling being bigger business than ever, I’m guessing there are more refs involved in cheating than ever before.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Of course it is a buy....

You yourself gave a number of examples. Of course unless a bad call is made on the last play of the game it is impossible to say with 100% certainty that an officials call made the difference in winning and losing but logically it absolutely does. Take the saints/rams NFC playoff game for example. If the officials make the right call there the saints have 1st and goal they could have ran the clock down and kicked the FG to win with no time for LA to do anything. No guarantee they would have done it but their chances were probably more than 90% if they get a correct call.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
It's a buy, for obvious reasons, because it affects what happens on the field. But over the long haul, one common trend always emerges. The perceived 'better' team will get the calls, it's just a natural bias that no one can escape. I personally don't think the home team plays into it all the time, maybe in the NFL. In college you often get away bias, at least in non-conference games. Maybe if all things are equal, the home team will get the calls.

To go further, if the perceived better team isn't actually PLAYING well, the bias then goes to the other team. So many things impact it.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Arky for sure changes

But the line can be easily affected. Especially NBA. With the way so many guys are automatic from free throw line, a whistle basically equals a point or two at the right time. They already had one ref go to prison for it, I don’t believe he was acting alone. Now with sports gambling being bigger business than ever, I’m guessing there are more refs involved in cheating than ever before.

4th down flop that should not have been a penalty. We take over on downs game over.

josebrown

Aug 4, 2008
The business known as the NFL is classified the same as the WWE, an entertainment business, not a football business. With that comes pre-determined outcomes in games involving the two Super Bowl to be teams and other games dependent on maximizing viewership and attendance. The NFL uses their own referees to make sure these pre-determined winners get it done. Kinda like the WWE referee with the ear piece in for comms. When Pat Tillman comes walking back thru that door soon, I believe this is one of the biggest reasons why he left the league and then us, only to reappear the public eye like very many other celebrities will do soon. There are certain truths the public needs to know about some of our favorites, especially when they cost us so much money and time we’d rather use for other things knowing these truths.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
You are absolutely right. They are not a sport which would require them to live by strict rules. People need to understand that when they tune it they are actually really watching WWE with 11 players tag teaming.

You do know that you have hurt a lot of people's feelings on here?

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
The business known as the NFL is classified the same as the WWE, an entertainment business, not a football business. With that comes pre-determined outcomes in games involving the two Super Bowl to be teams and other games dependent on maximizing viewership and attendance. The NFL uses their own referees to make sure these pre-determined winners get it done. Kinda like the WWE referee with the ear piece in for comms. When Pat Tillman comes walking back thru that door soon, I believe this is one of the biggest reasons why he left the league and then us, only to reappear the public eye like very many other celebrities will do soon. There are certain truths the public needs to know about some of our favorites, especially when they cost us so much money and time we’d rather use for other things knowing these truths.

Running down Pat Tillman is garbage. Big thumbs down.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Are you speaking in tongues? What in the hell is this?

jblailock

Feb 26, 2013

The fixing of sporting events is usually not done by people gambling legally. The legalization of sports gambling might actually reduce this crap with strange huge bets being "on the books" now.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012

You’re saying the NFL had some cloak and dagger agenda to fix the games to maximize the appeal of the Super Bowl….and the outcome of that agenda was the Bengals vs. the Rams? GTFO. Just complete nonsense.

Aug 22, 2012

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login