Buy/sell: the most important quality in a home plate umpire

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007
Is how good of a performance they put into signaling an out.

There's nothing worse than seeing a tag out at home after the right fielder launches the ball from the warning track only to see the umpire give a lazy fist up. The ump needs to call the out with a performance commensurate with the play on the field. He has to first hesitate, like he's thinking to himself how 17ing awesome that play was and he's the one person in the universe who will get to signal the out. Then there's the wind up. If it's a quality out, there has to be leg or hip movement. Finally, the delivery. The crowd needs to be anticipating it and then boom! Punch the air like you're reaching back through time to kill baby Hitler.

At the same time, it's a bit embarrassing when they punch like Mike Tyson when a batter below the Mendoza line swings at a dirt ball or looks at a lazy fastball down Broadway for strike three. Go with the simple fist up.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Sell - Knowledge of the rules is most important. Second most important is consistency. Presentation - which goes into what you're talking about - would be third.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Personally I find the game boring if the ump doesn't do the moonwalk after a strike out.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Sell. I only care about watching the players perform not the umpires.....

Is how good of a performance they put into signaling an out.

There's nothing worse than seeing a tag out at home after the right fielder launches the ball from the warning track only to see the umpire give a lazy fist up. The ump needs to call the out with a performance commensurate with the play on the field. He has to first hesitate, like he's thinking to himself how 17ing awesome that play was and he's the one person in the universe who will get to signal the out. Then there's the wind up. If it's a quality out, there has to be leg or hip movement. Finally, the delivery. The crowd needs to be anticipating it and then boom! Punch the air like you're reaching back through time to kill baby Hitler.

At the same time, it's a bit embarrassing when they punch like Mike Tyson when a batter below the Mendoza line swings at a dirt ball or looks at a lazy fastball down Broadway for strike three. Go with the simple fist up.

The most important quality in a plate ump is consistent accuracy with balls and strikes. Out/safe calls at the plate are important but they probably only make a close one every 10 games so it is way down the list of importance to me.

I am not a fan of show off umpires and to use a Jack Cristil word, gesticulating wildly when making a call does not enhance my confidence in their decision nor does it add to my enjoyment of the game. But that is just me.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
If an umpire is doing his job correctly then you forget the's even there. He just sort of blends into the background.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Personally, I prefer umpires that yell at a Senior after he hits a home-run in his last game in his home ballpark. I mean just look at this man work. Such professionalism, such class, poetry in motion, if you will.*

Junction John

Oct 22, 2014
...AND who had just been snubbed in the draft, AND whose grandfather had just died. That ump still needs to get pelted with rocks the next time he's here.

My favorite things about this video are (I think it's) Plumlee's great shocked reaction with hands on head, and one of the announcers at about :28 in says, "Just let 'em..." Even the guys in the booth knew what a cool moment this was for Mac and the fans. So they just sat there in silence and let us enjoy it. Meanwhile you've got this asshat trying to hurry him up around the bases. LOL

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2018
In all fairness, it's not the Ump's job to know what's going on in a player's personal life. If anything, it's probably better that don't as to avoid any biases. So you can't really hold that one over his head.

Dawg_4_lifes

Sep 17, 2016
I was going to say eyesight. But i do love a good breakdance or moonwalk when calling the old STIIIIRRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIke 1

patdog

May 28, 2007
Most important quality for a home plate umpire is a good & consistent strike zone.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login