Buy/Sell.....the SEC isn't as "down" this year as

G

Goat Holder

we all thought. We have a dominant, true NC caliber team, and at least 5 other good teams. And the bottom part of the league can knock you off on any given night.

G

Goat Holder

Finebaum would never admit it though, because we all know that if Alabama, Auburn and LSU aren't at the top, the SEC is "down".

olemissbydamn

May 24, 2006
I've said it all along...the SEC isn't down. Of course when we were playing well in non-con and yall weren't playing up to your standards, nobody wanted to hear that.

The talking heads always say the SEC is down during the regular season. Especially when one of your traditional powers is having some troubles. The fact is, the SEC always plays well in the tournament. That is the true test of the strength of the league.

1MSUDawgFan

Feb 23, 2008
The SEC doesn't always play well in the tourney. I remember a few years ago, no team from the SEC made it past the 2nd round. We have our ups as a league, but we also have our downs as a league.

Edited to say I buy that the SEC isn't as down as the media portrays this year.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The SEC isn't a bad league, but compared to what it usually is, it's definitely down. Not as much down as some have been saying, but it's not as good as it usually is either. Tennessee is the only team I see having a shot at getting past the Sweet Sixteen.

Hanmudog

Apr 30, 2006
I think that top to bottom the SEC is not as strong as usual but the top half of the league is as good as nearly any conference in the nation. The teams that do make the NCAAT have potential to go pretty deep into it.

On a side note: I am completely dumbfounded how Ole Miss playing the Presbyterians has hurt them more in the RPI than losing 8 games in the SEC, half of which to the worst teams in the SEC.

Oct 14, 2007
Like you said, the top half of the league is still pretty strong, and the bottom half has a chance to knock you off on any night. The main reason the SEC is "down" according to the experts is that UK isn't dominating, although they're 9-3 in conference play right now and looking like they might make the Big Dance after all. I guarantee very few teams want to see an SEC team as an opponent in the Dance because of the style of ball we play. Tremendous on-ball pressure D that creates havoc for other conferences who aren't used to that style of play. At least one team, most likely UT, will make a deep run this season.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login