Varnado

Bench
Randy
Ravern
Elgin
B. Johnson

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
Buy. We should be favored to win the West again and probably will be picked by a few people to win the SEC, IF Jamont comes back.

If he doesn't, and we don't get Hopson, I still think we make it.

bizZaX

Mar 22, 2008
Osby>shaky everyday starter... Overall will be a super small lineup, we will have to make HUGE shifts during offseason from a half-court team to a fast-break get out and go.

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
You are smoking NIT bound crack if you think Stansbury is going to sit a two year starter in Stewart for a true freshman. Absolutely smoking crack.

fishwater99

Jun 4, 2007
DawgatAuburn said:
You are smoking NIT bound crack if you think Stansbury is going to sit a two year starter in Stewart for a true freshman. Absolutely smoking crack.

</p> Well there is a big problem with Stans, if you don't sit Randy for a McDonalds all-american in Hopson, you are an idiot.
Osby is 6"8 and can play guard or forward, so he would be taking Randy's spot.
Randy has to become the sixth man.
But if J-Money doesn't come back or we don't get Hopson we will never know, will we?
I can only hope we have this problem...

Oct 14, 2007
No way do you sit a proven, experienced Jr. starter for an unproven true freshmens. I don't care what kind of stats he put up in HS. It's not how Rick works. In fact, I'll wager IF, and that's a big if, we sign Hopson, he doesn't play much next season, nor do any of the other freshmens, unless we have a rash of transfers or injuries and necessity dictates extended PT.

Coach34

Jul 20, 2012
Ravern is going to be on the floor somewhere...We probably go small and have Ravern playing the 4 spot alot next year

Oct 14, 2007
Jamont's situation was entirely different. Jamont and the Delks all started immediately because our entire 17ing team graduated. They had to play because there was no one else. Name one time when we've had a majority of our team returning, like we will next year, when Rick has ever given any freshmens significant playing time. I'll answer for you: never. It just doesn't happen. Rick's leash on freshmens is ridiculously short and bites us in the *** every year. This year Ravern, Bailey, and Augustus all should have seen extended playing time early in the season to get the ready and have them as quality depth during conference play and tourney time. All had the talent, but all played sparingly. Same for Bowers, Z, Frazier, pick your player. Rick doesn't believe in giving freshmens extended pt if he can avoid it. I hate it and think it's ridiculous, especially when most every team in America seems to have freshmens come in and have a big impact because they let them play early, but that's the way it is. Don't expect Hopson, Osby, et. al to play much next season. You'll just be disappointed.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
Hopson could be the best freshman we've ever brought in. He'd be going to the NBA instead of college if they hadn't changed the rules. The only we can possibly sign him is if we essentially promise him a starting spot and a lot of PT.
If we promise him that and don't give it to him, he's going to be extremely unhappy. Rick isn't that dumb.

Hanmudog

Apr 30, 2006
One of the reasons the Delks who were returning starters transferred was because Ben and Barry were taking their starting spots as freshmen. I really think that Barry would be twice the player he is now if he came off the bench for about 20-25 minutes a game next season.

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
Hopson will not come here to sit on the bench, I can promise you that. If he does come here it will only be for a year or two and he will be starting as long as he is here

Coach34

Jul 20, 2012
"If we promise him that and don't give it to him, he's going to be extremely unhappy. Rick isn't that dumb. "

Just wait and see how unhappy Ben or Randy is going to be if they go from starting to the bench. Its going to be interesting to say the least

jlat13

Nov 1, 2007
We have never gotten a freshman to come in with the ability that Hopson has. Anyone that thinks if Hopson comes will not start is an idiot. The #8 player in the country who like someone just said would go to the NBA if it weren't for the new rule, is not going to come off the bench at Mississippi State. Rick is a coach and any coach will put his best five out there and there is now way Randy would start over Hopson. I would go as far as to say the people that say Hopson will work his way into the starting lineup are lost as well. This kid is not going to come somewhere he is not going to start. He would be in the starting lineup from day one until he decides to leave, no question about it.

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
I'm not so sure about Ben, but he might handle it fine as well. Stewart seems to be very mature, and he would get his minutes. I could see him coming off of the bench and giving us a spark on offense and defense.

Dawgbreeze

Jun 11, 2007
I will guarantee you that the best five defenders will play and then it comes down to how much offense they bring to the table. I like going small if Jamont returns because he can play the 2 or 3 if he needs to and Bost is a great athlete as well. Nice problem to have but I do agree it is hard to keep everyone happy if we have that much talent and Rick might have to decide to full court pressure and use that reasoning to play a bunch of folks.

williecunningham

Mar 3, 2008
What has Stansbury done in his 10+ years at Mississippi State to make you think that he will press full court just to play a lot of guys?</p>

DowntownDawg

May 28, 2007
...Stansbury's tournament teams all have had one thing in common: a very good big man that provided double figure scoring. 2008 - Rhodes, 2004-5 - Roberts, 2002-3 Austin.

I like Varnado, but he's never going to be a great offensive player. Elgin/Johnson might, but not next year. They didn't get enough minutes this year.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login