Buy/Sell - When is an opponent to small

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
North Dakota State (D1 school) played Oak Hill Christian College of Bemidji, MN in basketball yesterday and beat them 108-14. Oak Hill is 2-9 with two wins over Sisseton Whapeton College with a total victory margin of 3 points. The NDSU web site has the victory as the top news story of the day. Fun facts about Oak Hill - enrollment 100 students, they field teams in 3 sports, non-scholarship. Tuition & board for this school is $25K a year. And you wonder way student debt is rampant in the US.

Should large D-1 universities play these check receiver schools? Seems to be the only people that benefit from this matchup are the kids on the smaller school's roster who are excited to play the big school.

Last edited:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
North Dakota State (D1 school) played Oak Hill Christian College of Bemidji, MN in basketball yesterday and beat them 108-14. Oak Hill is 2-9 with two wins over Sisseton Whapeton College with a total victory margin of 3 points. The NDSU web site has the victory as the top news story of the day. Fun facts about Oak Hill - enrollment 100 students, they field teams in 3 sports, non-scholarship. Tuition & board for this school is $25K a year. And you wonder way student debt is rampant in the US.

Should large D-1 universities play these check receiver schools? Seems to be the only people that benefit from this matchup are the kids on the smaller schools roster who are excited to play the bid school.
I'm more curious how these small schools stay in business by charging 25K? It's not like they have name cache like an Ivy League school.

I was shocked when I saw how much like Belhaven, MC and Milsaps was. Sheesh. What students actually pay that bill?

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Off subject but how did all those Dakota schools both north and south get so good in FCS football?

patdog

May 28, 2007
Off subject but how did all those Dakota schools both north and south get so good in FCS football?
Partly because every time a southern school gets good at I-AA football, they move up to I-A. But yeah, 3 Dakota schools and Montana in the final 8 is pretty crazy.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Partly because every time a southern school gets good at I-AA football, they move up to I-A. But yeah, 3 Dakota schools and Montana in the final 8 is pretty crazy.
And that geography is the reason they stay FCS.

The power FCS schools are in the Midwest while their BCS counterparts are to the south.

Reactions: patdog and Dawgg

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Montana State has also had a pretty good run the past 2-3 years. Yeah, kind of a fun little pocket of FCS up in that region.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I think maybe it is a function of not having FBS football and being geographically large enough and remote enough that they are going to have decent teams with the players from home?

There are nine states without an FBS school, and outside of the Dakotas and Montana, I think they all have reasons that they might not be as good?

Alaska - besides the lack of population obviously not a great sport for football climate wise.

Delaware - I think they've had some good teams (did Flacco go to Delaware?), but also they are so small geographically it's not hard for better football players to get scouted and get out.

Rhode Island - Same explanation as Delaware. No reason for good players to stay put to the extent they are there.

Vermont and New Hampshire - Maybe have the same explanation as Delaware? Right there next to Massachusetts?

Maine - I guess maybe that explanation is starting to stretch it, but maybe it's just general apathy towards football for the far north new england states helps explain Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine?

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

Should large D-1 universities play these check receiver schools? Seems to be the only people that benefit from this matchup are the kids on the smaller school's roster who are excited to play the big school.

I think I'm more interested in how this game hit your radar?

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Delaware - I think they've had some good teams (did Flacco go to Delaware?), but also they are so small geographically it's not hard for better football players to get scouted and get out.

Delaware announced a couple weeks ago that they’re joining Conference USA in 2025.

(And yes, Flacco did go there— transferred there from Pitt)

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
I'm more curious how these small schools stay in business by charging 25K? It's not like they have name cache like an Ivy League school.

I was shocked when I saw how much like Belhaven, MC and Milsaps was. Sheesh. What students actually pay that bill?

Many top-notch K-12 and high schools cost about that same amount, some "elite" ones even more.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login