Buy/Sell

1MSUDawgFan

Feb 23, 2008
LSU makes the dance if Pierre is the coach all year. I'll buy. He's a much better coach than Brady was. He has that team firing on all cylinders.

1MSUDawgFan

Feb 23, 2008
LSU makes the dance if Pierre is the coach all year. I'll buy. He's a much better coach than Brady was. He has that team firing on all cylinders.

RebelBruiser

Aug 21, 2007
LSU is still a very young team. I think Pierre might be a better coach than Brady, but I do think a lot of their recent run of better basketball can be attributed to younger players starting to come together.

They still would've taken a lot of bad losses early even with better coaching.

Aug 30, 2006
Brady has been to a Final Four. There is no way Pierre can compare.

</sarcasm off>

Sell. LSU started off the season as a young team & they had some injuries to their best players. I think they might have finished with a slightly better record under Pierre, but I still don't think they would be dancing

Coach34

Jul 20, 2012
Brady lost Tasmin Mitchell 3 games into the season and had to recover from that. Then, he lost Chris Johnson to a broken hand for 6 games a couple of games before conference play started that led them to an 8 game losing streak. They had started playing better when Johnson came back under Brady, and now Butch is just reaping the rewards of having the talent on the court playing together.

Nobody on this board would be saying anything about a terrible coaching job in Starkville had Ricky lost Gordon 3 games into the season and then Rhodes for a 6 game stretch. I think we all know how that would have turned out for us.

Aug 30, 2006
Nobody on this board would be saying anything about a terrible coaching job in Starkville had Ricky lost Gordon 3 games into the season and then Rhodes for a 6 game stretch.
No one except for Coach34. When it is Stans that faces obstacles, he is accused of not being a good coach because injuries are a part of the game that you just have to deal with. However, when Brady's players get injured, then injuries are a legitimate excuse for failure to perform.

Coach34

Jul 20, 2012
"Was that when they were 1-6 in the SEC? "

Since you dont know what you are talking about, let me help you. They were 1-2 with Johnson back in the line-up in SEC play. 0-4 without him. So, yes, they were playing better when he got back in the line-up

As far as Ricky goes, everyone was giving him a pass 2 years ago because we were "young". He got a pass last year because we were still "young"...and had he lost Gordon in the 3rd game of this season, he would be getting a pass as well. You are the one that is transparent moron

topdawg.sixpack

Nov 25, 2007
They fired Brady mid-season because they figured the team could come back and make this strong run, making it harder to fire him? From what I have heard down there Brady was not well liked, except by himself. I think this theory is very possible.

Oct 14, 2007
The team was so beat up early in conference play they were only dressing out 7 guys for a while. I don't see how you can pin a rash in injuries like that on Brady. He wasn't a great coach, but he was solid. He just rubbed too many people the wrong way, and it cost him.

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
I could see them as a possible NIT team. I'll tell you this, it would have been harder to beat them in BR than it was with Brady coaching them. They were a better team without Brady, I think that is obvious to almost everyone.

Coach34

Jul 20, 2012
if John Wooden had coached them when we played them in BR. They didnt have Johnson then. When he returned to the line-up in SEC play, they got a whole lot better. Its hard for any coach to win with 7 scholarship players dressing out...except for Ricky, he could do it.

Aug 30, 2006
As far as Ricky goes, everyone was giving him a pass 2 years ago because we were "young". He got a pass last year because we were still "young"...and had he lost Gordon in the 3rd game of this season, he would be getting a pass as well.
In your world, Stans is never allowed to have a down season due to having a young team or injuries to key players. However, you are defending Brady by saying he had to deal with injuries. The point is, every coach has to deal with youth or injuries or some combination of the two at some point. If you are going to excuse Brady's performance due to these things, then you should afford Stans the same criteria. You won't, but you should if you have any interest in being fair.

patdog

May 28, 2007
It also didn't hurt that they played Mississippi (at home), South Carolina, Georgia and Alabama all in a row, with only the USC game on the road either. Teams tend to play better when they're playing a stretch of games against the worst teams in the conference (and 2-14 on the road Andy Kennedy's Mississippi team fits that description when you get them at your place).

MSUCostanza

Jan 10, 2007
many times you do it, it never gets old watching you scramble to the defense of John Brady. Hilarious stuff. I think I'll start calling you Misty Champagne since you like to call me Meo.

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
He regularly blasts the most consistent coach in the West this decade and then defends coaches who are less successful and less consistent often using things in their defense that he uses to criticize Rick. Brady wasn't a good coach. He won when he had super talent all through his lineup, but when he had average talent he didn't do so well.

Coach34

Jul 20, 2012
and two years ago is really where all this really gained steam.

I know as much as anyone how hard it is to lose your veteran players and return a very young inexperienced team. I told the board repeatedly there was no way we could keep having the success we had had over the previous four years. And also why my famous "we'll start the SEC 1-8" prediction irked so many here. It was met with "Stans is too good a coach to let that happen", "we have young talent, Stans will coach them up and make the Tourney again". I was also called everything but a white man in that 5 page thread. And guess what? We started the SEC 1-8.

So dont tell me about how I would say this or that. I and everybody else knows what I said. I didnt get on Ricky for having a down year for playing so many Freshmens. I got on him for not balancing recruiting and having to be forced to play so many Freshmens. You need to focus on what I say as opposed to what you "think" I might say

Coach34

Jul 20, 2012
MSUCostanza said:
many times you do it, it never gets old watching you scramble to the defense of John Brady. Hilarious stuff. I think I'll start calling you Misty Champagne since you like to call me Meo.

facts are facts. You and Stormwhiner would be defending Ricky to the death had we lost Gordon in game 3 and been looking at a 11-19 record this year</p>

Aug 30, 2006
Brady wasn't a good coach. He won when he had super talent all through his lineup
He really recruited University High on the campus of LSU hard as well as the far corners of Louisiana to bring in that talent.

Coach34

Jul 20, 2012
your bias has been exposed enough as other people in this thread are smart enough to recognize their injury problems

patdog

May 28, 2007
Coach34 said:
MSUCostanza said:

facts are facts. You and Stormwhiner would be defending Ricky to the death had we lost Gordon in game 3 and been looking at a 11-19 record this year</p>

Yes. Facts ARE facts. And the fact is, since Stans took over, we've had the most successful, and most consistently successful, basketball program in the SEC West. And the only two in the East who have been more successful are Florida and Kentucky. Those are the facts. Another fact is, we've never been anywhere near an 11-19 record since Stans took over and it's not like we haven't been without players we were counting on during that time (more signed player who went directly to the NBA than any other school in the country, players declaring for the draft early who had no business doing so, injuries, etc.).</p>

Aug 30, 2006
Here is our 2004-2005 roster (3 years ago):
<table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" width="100%"> <tbody> <tr> <td class="recruitingTableHeader">No</td> <td class="recruitingTableHeader">Name</td> <td class="recruitingTableHeader">Pos</td> <td class="recruitingTableHeader">Ht</td> <td class="recruitingTableHeader">Wt</td> <td class="recruitingTableHeader">DOB</td> <td class="recruitingTableHeader">Yr</td> <td class="recruitingTableHeader">City (High School)</td> </tr> <tr class="recruitingResultRow" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #eeeeee"> <td>3</td> <td>Billy Begley</td> <td>PG</td> <td>6-1</td> <td>190</td> <td>09/26/1983</td> <td>SO</td> <td>Fitchburg, MA (Notre Dame Preparatory School)</td> </tr> <tr class="recruitingResultRowBaseline" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff"> <td>20</td> <td>Michael Boler</td> <td>SG</td> <td>6-5</td> <td>190</td> <td>06/11/1983</td> <td>SO</td> <td>Greenwood, MS (Pillow Academy)</td> </tr> <tr class="recruitingResultRow" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #eeeeee"> <td>50</td> <td>Marcus Campbell</td> <td>C</td> <td>7-0</td> <td>270</td> <td>03/11/1982</td> <td>SR</td> <td>Albany, GA (Westover HS)</td> </tr> <tr class="recruitingResultRowBaseline" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff"> <td>12</td> <td>Seth Cannon</td> <td>PG</td> <td>6-0</td> <td>195</td> <td>02/04/1982</td> <td>SR</td> <td>Florence, MS (McLaurin Attendance Center)</td> </tr> <tr class="recruitingResultRow" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #eeeeee"> <td>5</td> <td>Jamall Edmondson</td> <td>PG</td> <td>5-9</td> <td>185</td> <td>01/21/1983</td> <td>JR</td> <td>Montgomery, AL (Jefferson Davis HS)</td> </tr> <tr class="recruitingResultRowBaseline" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff"> <td>11</td> <td>Gary Ervin</td> <td>PG</td> <td>5-11</td> <td>170</td> <td>08/09/1983</td> <td>SO</td> <td>Milford, CT (Milford Academy)</td> </tr> <tr class="recruitingResultRow" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #eeeeee"> <td>23</td> <td>Winsome Frazier</td> <td>SG</td> <td>6-4</td> <td>180</td> <td>08/02/1982</td> <td>SR</td> <td>Miami, FL (Miami Northwestern HS)</td> </tr> <tr class="recruitingResultRowBaseline" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff"> <td>31</td> <td>Ontario Harper</td> <td>SF</td> <td>6-5</td> <td>215</td> <td>07/03/1979</td> <td>SR</td> <td>Clinton, MS (Clinton HS)</td> </tr> <tr class="recruitingResultRow" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #eeeeee"> <td>2</td> <td>Jerrell Houston</td> <td>F</td> <td>6-8</td> <td>210</td> <td>06/17/1985</td> <td>FR</td> <td>Memphis, TN (East HS)</td> </tr> <tr class="recruitingResultRowBaseline" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff"> <td>25</td> <td>Wesley Morgan</td> <td>C</td> <td>7-3</td> <td>245</td> <td>04/29/1983</td> <td>JR</td> <td>Gallatin, TN (Gallatin HS)</td> </tr> <tr class="recruitingResultRow" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #eeeeee"> <td>21</td> <td>Shane Power</td> <td>SG</td> <td>6-5</td> <td>210</td> <td>07/31/1981</td> <td>SR</td> <td>Merrillville, IN (Andrean HS)</td> </tr> <tr class="recruitingResultRowBaseline" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff"> <td>1</td> <td>Charles Rhodes</td> <td>F</td> <td>6-8</td> <td>235</td> <td>06/25/1985</td> <td>FR</td> <td>Jackson, MS (Lanier Senior HS)</td> </tr> <tr class="recruitingResultRow" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #eeeeee"> <td>4</td> <td>Lawrence Roberts III</td> <td>PF</td> <td>6-9</td> <td>240</td> <td>10/20/1982</td> <td>SR</td> <td>Houston, TX (Lamar HS)</td> </tr> <tr class="recruitingResultRowBaseline" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff"> <td>42</td> <td>Walter Sharpe</td> <td>PF</td> <td>6-9</td> <td>235</td> <td>07/18/1986</td> <td>FR</td> <td>Birmingham, AL (Parker HS)</td> </tr> <tr class="recruitingResultRow" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #eeeeee"> <td>22</td> <td>Dietric Slater</td> <td>SG</td> <td>6-3</td> <td>195</td> <td>07/14/1984</td> <td>SO</td> <td>Waynesboro, MS (Wayne County HS)</td> </tr> <tr class="recruitingResultRowBaseline" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff"> <td>41</td> <td>Piotr Stelmach</td> <td>PF</td> <td>6-9</td> <td>240</td> <td>02/23/1984</td> <td>SO</td> </tr> </tbody> </table>
  • Jamal Edmonson turned out crappy, but we did not know that at the time b/c he was Juco
  • Ervin transferred after this year, not much could have been done to predict that when recruiting for 05-06, would have been a JR.
  • Jerrell Houston transferred out, would have been a SO
  • Walter Sharpe transferred out, would have been a SO.

So, Stans completely screwed up recruiting because he had a guard that turned out to suck that would have been a SR, a guard that would have been a JR that transferred out b/c he turned out to be an *** hole that didn't like to be told what to do, a forward that would have been a SO and provided 5 minutes or so a game as a backup at least that transferred out, and a SO to be forward that probably would have been a starter that turned out to be a basketcase that thought he was more important than the team that transferred out (too bad you weren't around to straighten him out). Yes, his recruiting could have been better, but he lost 8 scholarship players which is tough to account for when you only have 13 on scholarship anyway.

The whole point of this discussion is that you have constantly excused anything Brady has had to deal with as part of the game and criticized Stans for anything you can think of. If you were equally critical of all coaches, no one would care.</p>

Coach34

Jul 20, 2012
we have been more consistent in conference. But as afr as achieving nationally, not so much. Last season is a good example. 8-8 and NIT is not a successful season. Not being one of the top 65 teams is not successful. Winning games against other lesser teams left out of the Tourney is not successful . But yet, it was SEC West successful .

Ricky has definitely been consistent though. No doubt about that. But had we lost Gordon in game 3, this season would have been a disaster and you know it.

patdog

May 28, 2007
You can debate all you want, but the facts don't support you.</p>

Coach34

Jul 20, 2012
i'm not debating that. LSU has had alot of injuries the last two years that caused alot of their problems however. I tend to view injuries with a little more leniancy than I do mistakes in recruiting- those you can help. Injuries you cant.

Coach34

Jul 20, 2012
patdog said:
You can debate all you want, but the facts don't support you.</p>

</p>an SEC West title doesnt really mean all that much when it doesnt get you into the NCAA Tourney

patdog

May 28, 2007
Last year's SEC West title may not have gotten us much, but it did get us more than either Brady or Gottfried got last year.</p>

Brutius

Aug 5, 2004
John Brady isn't the second coming of Dean Smith like Coach34 thinks and John Brady isn't the second coming of Ed Murphy like Constanza thinks.

Brady was hurt by injuries early in the year, I don't care who the coach was it's hard to win with 7 scholarship players. On the other hand, he was extremely lucky in the final four run to have 2 NBA players. Again, hard to screw that up.

Much like coach34 always says about Stansbury, John Brady was always a very average floor coach. He won with NBA talent and lost horribly when anything went wrong with injuries or not having sufficient talent.</p>

Sorry for trying to be the voice of reason in a sea of ineptitude, but I had to try.</p>

Your friend,</p>

Brutius</p>

1MSUDawgFan

Feb 23, 2008
Brutius said:
John Brady isn't the second coming of Dean Smith like Coach34 thinks and John Brady isn't the second coming of Ed Murphy like Constanza thinks.

Brady was hurt by injuries early in the year, I don't care who the coach was it's hard to win with 7 scholarship players. On the other hand, he was extremely lucky in the final four run to have 2 NBA players. Again, hard to screw that up.

Much like coach34 always says about Stansbury, John Brady was always a very average floor coach. He won with NBA talent and lost horribly when anything went wrong with injuries or not having sufficient talent.</p>

Sorry for trying to be the voice of reason in a sea of ineptitude, but I had to try.</p>

Your friend,</p>

Brutius</p>

</p>I'd bet that in 2004, Stansbury would have still won alot of games with only seven scholarship players. Come to think about it, really that's all that ever played that year.

1MSUDawgFan

Feb 23, 2008
Coach34 said:
we have been more consistent in conference. But as afr as achieving nationally, not so much. Last season is a good example. 8-8 and NIT is not a successful season. Not being one of the top 65 teams is not successful. Winning games against other lesser teams left out of the Tourney is not successful . But yet, it was SEC West successful .

Ricky has definitely been consistent though. No doubt about that. But had we lost Gordon in game 3, this season would have been a disaster and you know it.

</p>Yeah, a #2 seed in the tourney and a top ten ranking isn't much nationally. Riiiiight..........

What I want to know is when Stansbury does make a Sweet 16, what's going to be your measuring stick for how you can bash him.

And you say if we lost Gordon in game 3 this season would have been a disaster. Maybe. I guess we'll never know. Injuries happen and it's part of being a good head coach. Stansbury has adjusted and NEVER made an excuse about players leaving to the NBA, hihgh schoolers leaving to the NBA, players transferring out, quitting, etc. Say what you will, but you will be hard pressed to criticize Stansbury on anything when we make the Swseet Sixteen.

And this year, you'll have no excuses as to why you have to stop calling him "Ricky". Remember, my post said no excuses such as bad draw, etc. You agreed. Well, you also agreed last year when I said to give credit for Stansbury if we won the West (we were like 2-6 at the time) and you backed out of that one. I guess I can't count on you to keep your word. I guess that's why I don't value your word at all anymore.

MSUCostanza

Jan 10, 2007
I'm not disputing that LSU had injury problems. That is obvious. However, Brady had enough healthy bodies to not be 1-6 in the league and getting blown out every night. You know that as well as I do. What is laughable is that you refuse to credit any of LSU's turnaround to Butch Pierre. You just pawn it off on them getting healthy in a feeble excuse to stand by your man. You are sad, Misty.

BigErnMcracken

May 23, 2006
Charles Rhodes missed 3 games and was hurt for about 10.....Ben missed several games and played the entire season with mono and a brocken hand.

We dont have depth, lost these guys and won 12 in the SEC. Nice excuse though. I love how other teams can be young or unhealthy but we cant.

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
11-19, even without Gordon, would be unacceptable to me. I wouldn't be ready to run Rick out of town, mind you, but I also wouldn't be giving him a total pass on the season.

Amd let's not pretend everything has lined up perfectly for Stans this year either. He entered the year after losing the Delks, which I posted a lot about when it happened and thought it would hurt us. I was right, we would be looking at a much better seed with them. So, he had to ease Stewart and Ben into starting roles with no experienced guards behind them. Then, he lost Rhodes to an injury and later Hans to mono. I didn't excuse the bad start, I thought it was unacceptable. But, again, you jump to conclusions and exaggerate.

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
We've had to play through injuries, sickness, and inexperience this season and still won 12 SEC games. Give Brady this team and he would have been lucky to win 8. No way he would have won at SC or Florida, Vandy would have been a blowout, and he would have probably lost to Arky at home. Brady was successful when Collis Temple was handing him a great team full of Louisiana supertalent. When those players were gone you got to see what he was made of. At least in Stansbury's down year (note the word year is singular) the team was still in contention for a NIT bid.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login