Buy/Sell

BriantheDawg

May 24, 2006
Had Croom hired another Offensive Coordinator with a different philosophy than the Gulf Coast Katrina Offense, Garrett would still be comitted to MSU.</p>

BriantheDawg

May 24, 2006
Had Croom hired another Offensive Coordinator with a different philosophy than the Gulf Coast Katrina Offense, Garrett would still be comitted to MSU.</p>

jlat13

Nov 1, 2007
It probably would have helped, but I don't see what people don't understand here. I grew up just as big of a fan as MSU as him, but if its my life we're talking about here and I have a chance to play at LSU in that atmosphere and with their recent national exposure I would do the exact same thing.

Aug 30, 2006
I seriously doubt the offense was the only consideration. Additionally, it would depend on what kind of relationship the new OC could build with Garrett, who he was (i.e. a big name or known for being innovative etc.). Keeping McCorvey may have made Garrett's decision easier, but replacing him would not have guaranteed that he stayed committed once LSU came calling.

Coach34

Jul 20, 2012
top prospects today dont just think of college, but the NFL as well. They look at programs that can help get them there.

If you will notice, due to our offense, all we can sign are guys happy to be in the SEC. They dont care what offense we run. But your top guys pay alot of attention to that. Mustain at UPig is a great example. He went to UPig because they were supposed to open up the offense, when they didnt, he left.

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
I do think that's part of it, but I don't think it's all of it. If he was good enough, he could overcome our playcalling- see Eli at Ole Miss.

Columbus Dawg

Feb 23, 2008
Bad example using Eli. Eli knew he was going to be under the tutelage of David Cutcliff who worked with and helped develop Peyton. Our head coach and offensive coordinator have worked with great RB's, QB's not so much.</p>

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
Could it have helped? I don't know. I highly doubt he'd have chosen us over LSU regardless of who ran the offense. Say we are coming off our 2000 offense, which put up some good numbers - FSU offers our top QB prospect. We have put up some good numbers and have had several years of bowl games, but this is one of the best programs in the nation and a recent national champ we are going against. A better coordinator may have helped but I doubt it would be enough to outweigh a chance to lead a program to a national title. Let's also not forget two things: 1) LSU recently had a QB go #1 in the draft and 2) MSU has a long sad history at QB.

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
gets too much credit for "developing" Peyton and Eli.

I'm sure Archie had nothing to do with it. Nonetheless, Eli had the ability to overcome Cut's play calling. I'm sure Peyton would have to. Cooper, not so much. Yes, I know he had some kind of spinal canal injury or syndrome, but he was a WR for a reason. You either have it or you don't.

saddawg

Jun 25, 2006
In fact I would try to corner the market.

thunderclap

Feb 25, 2008
didn't mention our anemic offense to Garrett and family is insane. Auburn changes OCs, creates a buzz, and takes offensive recruits from us. If we had done the same, we'd at least have something new to sell, a way to capitalize on a winning year. But we didn't and we don't and we lose another offensive recruit.</p>

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
I made the point immediately after McCorvey's extension/raise/whatever was announced that it could have serious negative repercussions when it came to recruiting. What decent QB or WR recruit, in their right mind, would choose to play in the craptastic ******** that we call an offense unless we were their only D1 offer?

With that said, I do think all these "how could Croom not get this guy" posts are a little overly dramatic. It seems like Garrett's decision had more to do with LSU and the potential there and less to do with how well Croom did or did not recruit him. As others have pointed out, it's no stretch to say that playing QB at LSU >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> playing QB at MSU.

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
Sell. I just dont think that was all of it. he has a chance to go play for a team that is constantly named in the National title race year in and year out. I think that had more to do with it than anything

patdog

May 28, 2007
the fact is Mississippi wasn't even in Eli's final two until they hired Cut, and then they jumped both Virginia and Texas to #1. And it may be a coincidence or not, but Erik Ainge sucked donkey balls until Cut went back to Tennessee.

RebelBruiser

Aug 21, 2007
That's a true point. Prospects these days make decisions looking toward their professional chances, much like students make college decisions often based on the majors offered and what it can offer as far as preparation for the pros. Look no further than the Memphis bball program for an example. Calipari, due to his time in the NBA and his connections in the NBA, has been able to recruit nationally to Memphis, a program in an awful basketball league. He's been able to sell players on the idea that he can get them better prepared for the NBA. They aren't at Memphis because they like the college or they like the city. They are at Memphis because they think it gives them the best shot at becoming a top draft pick and making money in the pros.

You still have some that make college decision based on other things, but I think more athletes today are doing exactly what you're talking about and trying to go to the school that they feel gives them the best shot at the NFL. It always helps to be able to point to a top draft pick that has come out of your school and done well in the pros at the same position as a given recruit.

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
that the Manning's are the only QB's that he has developed that have had success in the NFL.

As far as Ainge, his o-line was unbelievable, plus he was a senior. I predict that he will suck in the NFL.

B

Bulldoghair

garrett is a statue, he can't run or move worth a crap....if anyone cant see that moore and russell are 10 times better is blind.</p>

patdog

May 28, 2007
Yeah. Tennessee's line sucked Ainge's first two seasons. He also coached Heath Shuler, who was one hell of a college QB. And really, as a college football fan, I couldn't give two ***** whether our coaches develop great NFL players. They're being paid to develop great college players.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login