Buy/sell?

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
Kyle Whittingham would be a good coach in the SEC.

I’m buying. The guy has seven 10+ win seasons, including a 13-0 season capped by a win over Saban, and 3 conference titles. Plus, his teams’ style of play seems tailor-made for the SEC. I’ve always wondered if he’s ever been pursued.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
No doubt he could win big here but he’s probably in a good spot. The SEC is full of hate and bad blood.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016

I’m buying. The guy has seven 10+ win seasons, including a 13-0 season capped by a win over Saban, and 3 conference titles. Plus, his teams’ style of play seems tailor-made for the SEC. I’ve always wondered if he’s ever been pursued.
I'd say not enough info to make an educated decision. The PAC ain't the SEC. It's a totally different world. His teams look physical against other PAC teams. A one off game in a bowl when the opponent wanted to be elsewhere isn't a great measure. I'd think he has probably had his opportunities to take a job in the SEC. IMO he is a good coach, but given how bad the PAC has been since he has been in it, he isn't a sure thing elsewhere. Now if our job came open I'd be cool with giving him a shot is he was willing.

3407Dewey

Jun 4, 2014

Buy. His teams always appear well coached and he gets the most out of the talent they have. Hard nosed, disciplined football. I’m sure he’s had opportunities to leave Utah. He must just love it there.

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007
Buy.

I don't put much stock into the notion that coaches are highly regionalized, e.g. he'll never succeed in the SEC because he's a West Coast or Big Ten guy. It's mostly an excuse brought up when a coach comes into the SEC and fails to rationalize why it happened. Like it's commonly brought up that Bryan Harsin and Jim McElwain failed because they were west guys and had cultural issues, but for every couple of them there are guys like Will Muschamp and Jeremy Pruitt (failures with long-time SEC ties) and Nick Saban and Urban Meyer (no SEC ties before winning a title at their first SEC job).

If someone fails coming from outside the SEC to inside the SEC, it's because the competition is better and what got them the job as a SEC head coach may not be enough for them to keep their job. It's the same when a coordinator jumps to the head job, where many fail and a few succeed.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
He's 63 so he's prolly gonna retire from Utah. I wouldn't wanna do a Ben Howland deal again.

Reactions: Dawgg

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
He is a good coach. It wouldn't matter where he was coaching. See earlier post and add Kelly to that list, add JWS to that list, and probly a few more. The whole idea that an outside the SEC coach can't coach in the SEC is ridiculous

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022

Utah is basically State under Mullen, but in a bad conference. Utah would be a middle of the pack SEC at best most years. Higher this year.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login