By keeping Lemonis we are…

JWSDawgs

Mar 16, 2021
proving that we are ok with accepting mediocrity. Do you think a real blue blood baseball program would retain a coach after what he’s done the past 2 seasons? I hate to say it but we are proving right now that we are not a blue blood program. It’s like we finally reached this top of the mountain and now who really cares. It’s sad and unacceptable.

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
We aren’t a blue blood. We had an elite run from 2016-2021 and it tricked our fan base

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Give Up GIF by STARZ

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
We aren’t a blue blood. We had an elite run from 2016-2021 and it tricked our fan base

Historically this is a lot closer to the truth than people want to admit. We have as many Omaha trips in the last 5 years as we had in the previous 20.

We have awesome fan support and facilities and certainly are a high potential program. But we’ve arguably never maximized that potential outside of 2016-2021 and perhaps 2013.

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
Historically this is a lot closer to the truth than people want to admit. We have as many Omaha trips in the last 5 years as we had in the previous 20.

We have awesome fan support and facilities and certainly are a high potential program. But we’ve arguably never maximized that potential outside of 2016-2021 and perhaps 2013.
You can’t have the run of underachieving that we had as a program from 1990-2010 and pretend that we’ve always been elite

patdog

May 28, 2007
You can’t have the run of underachieving that we had as a program from 1990-2010 and pretend that we’ve always been elite
Bama football underachieved from 1983-2006. They didn't stop being elite though. All it took was the right coach. Same for Texas football from 1984-1997 and again from 2010-present. All it takes is the right coach.

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
Bama football underachieved from 1983-2006. They didn't stop being elite though. All it took was the right coach. Same for Texas football from 1984-1997 and again from 2010-present. All it takes is the right coach.
They also had national championships prior to their run of mediocrity.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
My definition of a BlueBlood program is one that has 2 or more CWS Championships under their belts and numerous CWS appearances. Until we win a 2nd CWS, I don't consider us a BlueBlood program. We do have a BlueBlood fanbase though. Of course LSU, Vandy, OK, TX, and South Carolina fit that definition. I think Texas has won 4, but not totally sure.

BlueBloods that come to mind quickly for me are Southern Cal, LSU, Fullerton, AZState, AZ, Texas, Minnesota, Miami, Vandy, Oklahoma, etc. There are some more.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
My definition of a BlueBlood program is one that has 2 or more CWS Championships under their belts and numerous CWS appearances. Until we win a 2nd CWS, I don't consider us a BlueBlood program. We do have a BlueBlood fanbase though. Of course LSU, Vandy, OK, TX, and South Carolina fit that definition. I think Texas has won 4, but not totally sure.

BlueBloods that come to mind quickly for me are Southern Cal, LSU, Fullerton, AZState, AZ, Texas, Minnesota, Miami, Vandy, Oklahoma, etc. There are some more.

There's not a high school baseball player anywhere today who was even born the last time Southern Cal was remotely relevant in college baseball.

Minnesota????

You've got teams with impressive histories long ago often because of a single great head coach or maybe two mixed up with blue bloods who may have short down periods, but are never gone from the national landscape for decades at a time.

Mississippi State has been to the CWS under 6 different head coaches.

We are a blue blood program, full stop.

Last edited:

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
yes and 8 figures each year, correct

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
There's not a high school baseball player anywhere today who was even born the last time Southern Cal was remotely relevant in college baseball.

Minnesota????

You've got teams with impressive histories long ago often because of a single great head coach or maybe two mixed up with blue bloods who may have short down periods, but are never gone from the national landscape for decades aa time.

Mississippi State has been to the CWS under 6 different head coaches.

We are a blue blood program, full stop.

Blue blood probably isn’t the right terminology for college baseball. It’s not like football or basketball where the best teams from 40 years ago are still the best teams now. There has been a lot of “new money” in college baseball in the last 20-30 years.

We are a very strong program historically but didn’t come close to maximizing the head start we once had on the rest of the southeast. Both things can be true.

2016-2021 is our best run of consistent success in program history and I don’t think it’s close. I think we sometimes misremember what we actually accomplished in the 80’s, 90’s, and 2000’s. There were highs but there were lots of missed opportunities.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008

I guess the Black Land Bear Sharks are a blue blood football team w/ all those mythical National Championships under Johnny Reb Vaught?

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
proving that we are ok with accepting mediocrity. Do you think a real blue blood baseball program would retain a coach after what he’s done the past 2 seasons? I hate to say it but we are proving right now that we are not a blue blood program. It’s like we finally reached this top of the mountain and now who really cares. It’s sad and unacceptable.
Mediocrity? These last 2 years have been way below mediocre.

dogmatic001

Sep 30, 2022
In a lot of our minds, we won national championships with Clark, Palmeiro, Thigpen & Company. In truth, we know we didn't. But it truly feels like we did. That, coupled with listening to our own story about Polk/State and Bertman/LSU putting college baseball on the map when no one else cared about it, has convinced us we're bluebloods. And maybe we are. Or not. But I think that's where the attitude comes from.

The point is frequently made here that college baseball is only interesting to a relative smattering of schools. Relative to football and to pro sports at least. Sort of like men's college lacrosse. Where it's popular, it's the biggest thing going, so it's easy to hear your own echoes and take them for the cheering of the world.

It's certainly a different world now. So many things about it all are different. Not the least of which is this: Those of us who saw Clark et al in person are old now, and getting older every day. So we'll call ourselves bluebloods.

Now that we actually have a NC trophy, debatable bluebloods still feels better than definite blueballs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Old Fart Dawg

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Blue blood, elite, whatever. It really does not matter what label anyone thinks we are or are not or what we call ourselves. Furthermore there is no set way a 'blue blood' is supposed to act. What matters is what WE want and what we think is best for our program. To that end if we wind up keeping Lemonis I can assure you that it will be far from a unanimous decision. There will be PLENTY of strong dissent in the fan base and 2024 will get ugly quick for more than just Lem if we start down the same path we've trod the past two seasons.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login