Cajun food in Cajun country

Bigleachguy24

Apr 11, 2022
Going to LSU/Baton Rouge for the first time. I want some good Cajun food tonight - where should I go? Specifically if you have gumbo recommendations, but I'll take anything.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I've always wondered this, but strictly speaking, BR isn't Cajun Country is it? I'm no expert but I thought that was basically west of the Atchafalaya River? Yes there are some Cajuns in the area but I don't think they are the majority.

The strong French/Creole/etc. we associate with NOLA and LSU isn't exactly "Acadian" or Cajun. People just call it that.

Last edited:

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Louisiana defines it as being west of the Mississippi. So while the City of Baton Rouge isn't in Cajun country, West Baton Rouge Parish across the river is.

Link: Here.

Palmettodog

Aug 22, 2012
THis is true. As a resident of Lafayette for 7 years and my wife being from New Iberia, BR and New Orleans are not considered cajun country.

That being said, Parrains in BR is some pretty good cajun food, but my favorite spot in BR is Mansurs on Corporate Blvd......that's some good ****.

Arthur2478

Oct 17, 2010
I thought that was basically west of the Atchafalaya River?

That's a terrible boundary for that distinction. Pierra Part, Houma, Amelia, Thibodaux, etc, etc are all east of the Atchafalaya. If you'd said west of the Mississippi River, I could have gotten on board with that but not the Atchafalaya.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
That's a terrible boundary for that distinction. Pierra Part, Houma, Amelia, Thibodaux, etc, etc are all east of the Atchafalaya. If you'd said west of the Mississippi River, I could have gotten on board with that but not the Atchafalaya.
West of there is where they ultimately first settled. If you look at that link Maroon Eagle supplied, you see the darker red there.

There's no question that Cajun people then migrated to different areas.

But there is a distinct difference in the Acadians and the French you see in areas east of there.

Last edited:

Bigleachguy24

Apr 11, 2022
By cajun country I just meant Louisiana. I figure some of them would have come over to BR and made restaurants

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
By cajun country I just meant Louisiana. I figure some of them would have come over to BR and made restaurants
Yeah didn't mean to sidetrack....was just a question I had ever since I went to Ft. Morgan in 2020 and there were a lot of Lafayette people there, so I got to talking with them about Acadiana, I found it interesting that true Cajuns weren't exactly what I thought. But all the food is good so....back to the thread.

was21

May 29, 2007
If you're offered food from their tailgaters, don't ask what it is....just eat it.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Some will say south of 10 and west of ms river but that excludes some Cajun country in western Louisiana.

Where I live is GNOA and most of a coastal not many Cajuns around here. There are a lot of Creoles still. But mostly just coastal culture and New Orleans culture of its own. South east Louisiana is different than south Louisiana and north Louisiana. North Louisiana is more like central Mississippi and the delta

Bud.sixpack

Aug 24, 2012
Those boys that come hunting from the Monroe area will tell you with a quickness they're not coonasses. They don't care for coonasses

Aug 23, 2012
Louisiana Lagniappe
Mike Anderson’s
Parrians
French Market
Jubans
not sure how Cajun any of those really are but they should all be good eating.

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
You'll get a good meal at any of these places. Have no idea if you'll get a seat. I bet you can get good gumbo from some friendly, non-******* LSU fans at one of the tailgate parties.

Louisiana Lagniappe
Mike Anderson’s
Parrians
French Market
Jubans
not sure how Cajun any of those really are but they should all be good eating.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Every time I look at a thread like this I google the resteraunts, look at them, and hate this **** town I live in more.

turkish

Aug 22, 2012
Roberto’s River Road
Mike Anderson’s in a pinch
Chimes ain’t bad. I’d rather go to Hot Tails in New Roads.
Drago’s maybe, but I honestly haven’t been there.
Parrains is considered authentic Cajun by out of towners — wouldn’t recommend it.
Jubans and Mansurs are fine dining. Been years since I’ve been to either and both were very underwhelming.
Best Cajun food isn’t in BR.

Oh and don’t stray far away from the beaten path after dark in BR. It’s a war zone.

And I almost forgot. LA Lagniappe is the best in the town. Seafood, not super Cajuny, but very very good. Classy joint!

Last edited:

turkish

Aug 22, 2012
Every time I look at a thread like this I google the resteraunts, look at them, and hate this **** town I live in more.
I don’t know where you live. Maybe it’s Mobile. I don’t care. Wherever it is…

It is better than BR.

Dec 5, 2013
I lived in New Orleans for 7 years and I’ve lived in Ville Platte/Mamou area for about 5 now. The best actual cajun food you’ll ever have you can’t buy at a restaurant. Out here in rural cajun country, the Cajun restaurants won’t survive because people can and will cook something better at home on an outdoor gas burner. Both of my brother in laws always tell stories about their times as students at LSU where they would cook a “sauce” all afternoon on a Friday with their friends, drinking before going out to Bogie’s etc. I did a lot of social stuff at MSU, but never cooked like they did etc. Wish I would have. Would have made it even more fun.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
Roberto’s River Road
Parrains is considered authentic Cajun by out of towners — wouldn’t recommend it.
Jubans and Mansurs are fine dining. Been years since I’ve been to either and both were very underwhelming.

Oh and don’t stray far away from the beaten path after dark in BR. It’s a war zone.

And I almost forgot. LA Lagniappe is the best in the town. Seafood, not super Cajuny, but very very good. Classy joint!

Been to the all - go to parrains for good food

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
New roads. A place you have to be going to in order to get there.

I do like chimes it's pretty good. I like the environment

SyonaraStanz

Mar 5, 2010
Roberto’s River Road

This man knows what he speaks of. Top of his list….

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
This random thug violence happens every single day against totally innocent victims. And nobody wants to talk about it. They'd rather defund the police.

Not going to stop until decent people start shooting first without giving the benefit of the doubt to thugs

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login