Calipari says we are a 3rd round team

patdog

May 28, 2007
I remember when another Kentucky coach said when this MSU team gets it together, they’ll be dynamite. That said, 3rd roux all depends on the seedlings. If we’re a 9 seed, it’s gonna be hard to get that far.

Reactions: Msuirondawgs

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
Players just need to wash this game away. We played hard and good. Ky just made a few key shots in clutch situations. Could possibly see them again in the post season somewhere. We need to bear down and see if we can win a couple of these last 3 games......at least win one more. SC is gonna be really big IMO.

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
If State gets by the first round as a 7/10, or 8/9, the season will end against a 1 or a 2 in the round of 32. State will have to win 2 of the last 3, and win a couple in the SEC tourney to hopefully get to the 6 line. That is where they can make hay. State has to beat someone really good on the road or a neutral site to move up in seeding now.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
If State gets by the first round as a 7/10, or 8/9, the season will end against a 1 or a 2 in the round of 32. State will have to win 2 of the last 3, and win a couple in the SEC tourney to hopefully get to the 6 line. That is where they can make hay. State has to beat someone really good on the road or a neutral site to move up in seeding now.

There are 2 seeds we could beat and arguably even a 1 seed or two. I mean we already have a win against one of those caliber teams with the Tennessee win. Us getting a 7 or 8 isn’t necessarily a death sentence.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Tournament games arent home games. While anything can happen. I see the odds of us beating a 2 seed pretty low and a 1 seed (purdue, uconn, houston, zona) in a neutral setting.. extremely low..... if they were home games i'd be more optimistic.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
We're not going to make it out of the first weekend, because this team can't put two good games together (they came close this past Saturday and Tuesday, but close isn't enough)

Nevertheless, I've enjoyed this team all season.

Crossroaddawg

Oct 30, 2019
Have people forgot we are 6-0 on the neutral court this season? This team is made for March, Hubbard and crew are gonna be this years March darling. You can take that to the bank.

Reactions: Crazy Cotton

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Tournament games arent home games. While anything can happen. I see the odds of us beating a 2 seed pretty low and a 1 seed (purdue, uconn, houston, zona) in a neutral setting.. extremely low..... if they were home games i'd be more optimistic.

1 and 2 seeds do lose early, though. Happens just about every year in the 68 team era.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
1 and 2 seeds do lose early, though. Happens just about every year in the 68 team era.
Hey its called march madness for a reason.....BUT 1 seeds win round 2 games roughly 90% of the time, 2 seeds win round 2 games around 70% of the time.

Those are about the odds i'd give us,(match up dependant) playing any of those teams currently listed as projected 1 and 2 seeds on a neutral court.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
FWIW, Dave at Bracketville still has us as a 7 seed this morning. 26 overall on his seed list. Projects us playing 10 seed FAU and paired with North Carolina in Charlotte (admittedly that would be tough and not a very neutral site)

Reactions: HuntDawg

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
That is the biggest problem with being a 7 to 10 seed, I will concede. The 1’s and 2’s get geographic preference usually. Like in 2005, we were a 9 seed playing Duke in Charlotte, although that ended up being kinda funny because UNC was playing there too and all the UNC fans were at our game rooting for us.

Sometimes neutral is less neutral than other times.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Yes he was. 15 for Kentucky is better. He is a better overall player because he can defend better.
KY played D? Must have been a different game, and the NBA doesn't
Yes he was. 15 for Kentucky is better. He is a better overall player because he can defend better.
15 had 2 blocks and 2 steals, so yes that was good D compared to the rest of KY D. KY doesn't really play D this year other than the big Z guy. That has been exposed all year and will in the tourney.

If you can't see that the perimeter 3's that Hubbard makes when guarded are lightyears beyond the two set foot wide open 3's that Sheppard makes, I really do not know what to tell you.

Sheppard played a smarter more disciplined game and did great Tuesday night. To his credit, he took high percentage shots and that is something we need to improve on as pointed out about 50 times here ad nauseum. Hubbard went 7 for 14 from 3 and any coach in America would happily take that. The three 3's that Sheppard missed were when a player was guarding him. Sheppard made all 7 of his shots from inside the arc, even the quick toss floater shot from the free throw line to win it. It took that near perfect effort to win.

The good news is that State played harder against UTenn and won and looked better against UTenn that Kentucky did. We did not bring that same intensity against KY. KY won because they shot a slightly higher percentage than we did from the floor and only missed 2 free throws when we missed 5. Not that the refs gifted a few of those free throw opportunities for KY... that never happens.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
sheppard hit 4 3's

1) off the dribble from the left slot. About 6-8 feet behind the line.
2) Off a pass contested, 2 feet behind the line
3) Off curl action that we run the exact stuff for Hubbard for.. 3 feet behind the line.. moving
4) Off a loose ball, moving to his left, 5 feet behind the line

5) He missed a wide open 3 in the corner
6) Took a bad three guarded off the bounce and missed
7) Shot a near mid court wide open 40 footer when we were in zone as a heat check and missed

He also rebounded, assisted, defended.

No question who the best player on the court was that night.

Last edited:
Reactions: patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
sheppard hit 4 3's

3) Off curl action that we run the exact stuff for Hubbard for.. 3 feet behind the line.. moving

7) Shot a near mid court wide open 40 footer when we were in zone as a heat check and missed

He’s a much better percentage shooter & a more complete player. Hubbard isn’t far behind. And not far behind that dude is damn good.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
He’s a much better percentage shooter & a more complete player. Hubbard isn’t far behind. And not far behind that dude is damn good.
Hubbard isnt far behind as a shooter. The rest of his game, he's got some work to do to catch up with 15 from kentucky.. and he'll likely never be the defender or passer that 15 is, of course he isnt asked to do much of that here.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016

15 had 2 blocks and 2 steals, so yes that was good D compared to the rest of KY D. KY doesn't really play D this year other than the big Z guy. That has been exposed all year and will in the tourney.

If you can't see that the perimeter 3's that Hubbard makes when guarded are lightyears beyond the two set foot wide open 3's that Sheppard makes, I really do not know what to tell you.

Sheppard played a smarter more disciplined game and did great Tuesday night. To his credit, he took high percentage shots and that is something we need to improve on as pointed out about 50 times here ad nauseum. Hubbard went 7 for 14 from 3 and any coach in America would happily take that. The three 3's that Sheppard missed were when a player was guarding him. Sheppard made all 7 of his shots from inside the arc, even the quick toss floater shot from the free throw line to win it. It took that near perfect effort to win.

The good news is that State played harder against UTenn and won and looked better against UTenn that Kentucky did. We did not bring that same intensity against KY. KY won because they shot a slightly higher percentage than we did from the floor and only missed 2 free throws when we missed 5. Not that the refs gifted a few of those free throw opportunities for KY... that never happens.
That guy is the #5 projected draft pick and the #2 college player. He is also about 5 inches taller than Hubbard.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
That guy is the #5 projected draft pick and the #2 college player. He is also about 5 inches taller than Hubbard.
I'm going to say that's not going to happen but I'm willing to be proven dead wrong

chuckster.sixpack

Mar 26, 2015
sheppard hit 4 3's

Here is a link to your happy place…

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Hubbard isnt far behind as a shooter. The rest of his game, he's got some work to do to catch up with 15 from kentucky.. and he'll likely never be the defender or passer that 15 is, of course he isnt asked to do much of that here.
He certainly passes the "eye test" and I'm going to love watching him improve

olblue

Mar 11, 2018

This tweet made you jealous, didn’t it?

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
Calipari always blows smoke toward the other team, especially when he beats them.
But, he is likely truthful this time.

olblue

Mar 11, 2018

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I’m not sure he remembers what a third round team looks like. He’s won one NCAAT game in five years.
I think we will see Sheppard guarded better in the tourney than we did. All that to say it is not easy to take 5-6 freshmen deep into the tourney. It is definitely good for the 1 and done "we ship you off to the leagues better and faster than anyone else" strategy... which is clearly a Cal strategy. That, as well as talking often about the "4 pillars" of KY basketball like the basketball genius that he is.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
For the conversation. And the haters. 1 of 2 SEC freshmen ever.

1709329874315.png

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I honestly believe this team is capable of a Sweet Sixteen run. If you make it there anything is possible. That's the ceiling.

Southern University made it clear where the floor lies.

Reactions: onewoof

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
Judging from Kentucky’s game today, I guess Arkansas is a Final Four team.
I might puke and laugh if the arky pole smokers are able to pull out a win today, but it's very clear they are playing 5 on 8 and the crowd is full of idiots.

We missed a golden opportunity a few days back.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login