Calls last night

ugabully

Feb 10, 2012
I suspect that it's my lack of football knowledge, but I don't really understand how why Shapen's fumble was a live ball. It looked to me that he was both down at the time the ball came out and that his arm was moving forward, which I thought meant that it wouldn't be a ball that could picked up and run in. You can see it for yourself again here. What are the actual rules about fumbles?

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
It was close enough for a review for sure.

Ozarkdawg

Apr 1, 2017
I suspect that it's my lack of football knowledge, but I don't really understand how why Shapen's fumble was a live ball. It looked to me that he was both down at the time the ball came out and that his arm was moving forward, which I thought meant that it wouldn't be a ball that could picked up and run in. You can see it for yourself again here. What are the actual rules about fumbles?
Thought about that. And did the defender actually have possession of the ball in bounds at the goal line? Then I realized we would be punting and our D wasn't going to stop them at all in the half so they probably get at least 3 of those 7 points anyway.

Reactions: onewoof

ugabully

Feb 10, 2012
It was a fumble. He wasn’t down before the ball came out. He also lost control of the ball before his arm came forward which makes it a fumble. You have to have control of the ball when your arm comes forward to consider it a pass.
I think his knees are down before the ball comes out. Maybe I need to find a frame by frame slow motion replay. Agree that the ball isn't controlled like a pass.

ChinaDogSunflower

Aug 26, 2012
It was a fumble. He lost control of the ball before any part of his body hit the ground.

But what was up with the ref standing in bw our center and qb and making them wait 5 seconds to run a play? I thought that was only supposed to happen to allow substitutions (of which ASU players took their sweet time, barely even jogging off the field) but they did it a lot.

What rule change did I miss this off season?

Last edited:

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
It was a fumble. He lost control of the ball before any part of his body hit the ground.

But what was up with the ref standing in bw our center and qb and making them wait 5 seconds to run a play? I thought that was only supposed to happen to allow substitutions (which also took their sweet time, barely even jogging off the field) but they did it a lot.

The refs were definitely awful. I expect we brought our conference refs, which would add up.

Their coach was allowed to run on the field multiple times. That early PI call was ridiculous. The fumble at least deserved a review because it was very close. And then we had several times where we’d get a big gain, you’d see an ASU player hold or something, then it’s illegal motion on us or something terrible. And let’s not forget the timeout granted to ASU after the ball had been snapped and we got a first down.

17ing terrible.

Aug 22, 2012

But what was up with the ref standing in bw our center and qb and making them wait 5 seconds to run a play? I thought that was only supposed to happen to allow substitutions (which also took their sweet time, barely even jogging off the field) but they did it a lot.

The refs definitely eliminated our entire offensive philosophy of going fast. Several times the ref held up the snap because a defender was substituting which shouldn't be allowed since we didn't substitute. Refs made it an uphill battle.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
The refs definitely eliminated our entire offensive philosophy of going fast. Several times the ref held up the snap because a defender was substituting which shouldn't be allowed since we didn't substitute. Refs made it an uphill battle.
I noticed this too… I wondered if we were substituting. I also wondered if we weren’t substituting why lebby was not throwing a fit about the ref slowing things down.

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021

Don't think there is any new rule, just smart folks taking advantage of the substitution rules. Seems like a new "fainting goat" tactic to combat hurry up offenses. First noticed it in the OSU/AR game. Think it was AR that had to take a TO because the play clock had run so far down.
I did chuckle when we said 17 it and snapped the ball and the poor ref about got run over. Don't think you can do that guys.

Agree, lost control of the ball before his knee hit. Why he was doing what he did is another subject for another thread.

ChinaDogSunflower

Aug 26, 2012
Don't think there is any new rule, just smart folks taking advantage of the substitution rules. Seems like a new "fainting goat" tactic to combat hurry up offenses. First noticed it in the OSU/AR game. Think it was AR that had to take a TO because the play clock had run so far down.
I did chuckle when we said 17 it and snapped the ball and the poor ref about got run over. Don't think you can do that guys.

Agree, lost control of the ball before his knee hit. Why he was doing what he did is another subject for another thread.
Except that isn’t how the substitution rule works as far as I understand it. If the offense makes a sub then the refs have to allow the defense time to make a sub.

Last night the refs would just allow them to sub while we were running hurry up without subbing

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
The offensive PI against us was terrible.
Also, the 1st down that their center had a 15 yard penalty assessed after the line to gain was reached should have resulted in 1st and 25 for them
That was a 10-14 point swing. We were moving the ball, that would have put us on their 30 i think, so we get a field goal/td out of that. Instead it backs us up and we get the scoop and score.

That db initiated the contact by reaching out and grabbing our guy's jersey, because he knew he was beat. Our guy pushes his hand off and we get the call. Awful.

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
Except that isn’t how the substitution rule works as far as I understand it. If the offense makes a sub then the refs have to allow the defense time to make a sub.

Last night the refs would just allow them to sub while we were running hurry up without subbing
Agree on the rule, I was more commenting on what looks like a new tactic to slow roll the D subs and taking their sweet time assuming the O has subbed. Particularly if the O subs late.
I wasn't paying close enough attention to our subs but assumed we had and why they were holding things up (or moving the chains, making sure the clock was reset, etc.)

Reactions: ChinaDogSunflower

Dawg1969

Aug 22, 2012
That was a 10-14 point swing. We were moving the ball, that would have put us on their 30 i think, so we get a field goal/td out of that. Instead it backs us up and we get the scoop and score.

That db initiated the contact by reaching out and grabbing our guy's jersey, because he knew he was beat. Our guy pushes his hand off and we get the call. Awful.
The announcers said it was a good call, but i agree with you , it was not a good call. Refs control to much of the game with marginal PI calls.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
As usual the refs didn’t do us any favors, or even just call everything squarely, but that’s just part of being Mississippi State. Our role in the SEC is to just shut up and take our check. It’s happened for so many years I just expect it. I have been watching us get screwed by sec refs since 1961 and it never changes. With that being said, we had much bigger problems than sec refs last night and wins are going to be hard to come by this year unless we show some dramatic improvement up front and both sides of the ball.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
To that point, take that fumble back and the missed extra point State could have possibly won the game.

bulldognation

Jan 26, 2004
It’s almost as if the refs wanted ASU to get that first ever win over an SEC team. So they stood over the ball, threw a weak PI flag, allowed their coach to run out on the field, etc. I’m not saying they’re the only ones to blame, but BS like that keeps us from getting in a rhythm at big moments in the game.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
On the second possession Shapen threw a pass to a receiver on the right side that was hit well before the ball arrived. No flag. It set the stage for ASU defenders.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
The offensive PI against us was terrible.
Also, the 1st down that their center had a 15 yard penalty assessed after the line to gain was reached should have resulted in 1st and 25 for them
Not unless the foul was after ready for play. 1st and 10 is correct.

60sdog

Oct 9, 2010
Y’all ought to be still deliberating the fake fumble in the 2020 EB, you know, the one we played with only 47 players, and could have declined to play because of Covid rules. The fumble by Austin Williams right on the Mississippi goal line, which was returned all the way back nearly to the Mississippi goal line and gave them a 14 point lead, which resulted eventually into, only a seven point win. That was a bogus fumble call. Should have been called an incompletion on the one yard line. We would have won that game.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

ugabully

Feb 10, 2012
We're a better team than them. Play 10 games and we win 6 or 7. The bad offensive PI was the biggest play of the game by far.
I only saw the first half, but I don't think this claim is true. I think there were some calls in the half I watched that helped them out, but they were playing much better than MSU. Maybe it's more like if we played 10 games, we win 5 because you get the 2nd half teams vs the first half teams.

patdog

May 28, 2007
We're a better team than them. Play 10 games and we win 6 or 7. The bad offensive PI was the biggest play of the game by far.
No we’re not. Not even close. We’re just not. We might win 2 of 10 vs them. And they’re not a good team.

ChinaDogSunflower

Aug 26, 2012
Agree on the rule, I was more commenting on what looks like a new tactic to slow roll the D subs and taking their sweet time assuming the O has subbed. Particularly if the O subs late.
I wasn't paying close enough attention to our subs but assumed we had and why they were holding things up (or moving the chains, making sure the clock was reset, etc.)
Absolutely noticed their guys almost walking off the field during substitutions. Guess we need to make another rule that doesn't allow people to take advantage bc if there isn't a specific rule, people are gonna be human and take advantage as best they can.

Reactions: MSUDOG24
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login