Calm down people

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
First, to all saying put 2 people on Foster, you are morons. You don't put 2 people on a perimeter player up 2. Up 3 I could see it, but up 2? That would work until the Foster figured out he could simply pass it to the guy we left open.

Next, to all saying foul, you are also morons. You don't foul up 2 when they have shot well from the line.

Now, everybody calm down. How many expected to win this game? I sure didn't. That doesn't mean I'm not upset at the loss, and particularly the ridiculous way it went down. But, I also realize that the world isn't ending because we lost to possibly the best home court team in the conference, and did so in overtime with their lead scorer going off for 42, 3 of which came on a game winning shot. Think about that for a minute, we shot terrible being the arc and from the free throw line, but it took Foster going off in absolutely ridiculous fashion to beat us, and even then it took OT and a last second bomb. This is a heartbreaking loss, but it is a long, long way from a bad loss.

This doesn't hurt our seeding at all. It doesn't help it, but this wasn't a home loss to Auburn. We lost at Vandy. Just a few days ago we beat Florida, the team beating UT right now, on their home court. We had won 15 of 18 coming in. We didn't all of the sudden slide way down the seedings. We are still in good shape. We need to win Saturday, nothing changed. It'd be nice to win at least one in the SECT, nothing changed. Nothing changed tonight. It sucks to lose a game that you had control of and that you had opportunities to ice with free throws. It sucks to have one guy go off and win the game by himself. But, let's not go overboard here. The team is still in great shape. I swear, I don't know how some of you make it in life the way you overreact over every little thing that happens on here.

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
First, to all saying put 2 people on Foster, you are morons. You don't put 2 people on a perimeter player up 2. Up 3 I could see it, but up 2? That would work until the Foster figured out he could simply pass it to the guy we left open.

Next, to all saying foul, you are also morons. You don't foul up 2 when they have shot well from the line.

Now, everybody calm down. How many expected to win this game? I sure didn't. That doesn't mean I'm not upset at the loss, and particularly the ridiculous way it went down. But, I also realize that the world isn't ending because we lost to possibly the best home court team in the conference, and did so in overtime with their lead scorer going off for 42, 3 of which came on a game winning shot. Think about that for a minute, we shot terrible being the arc and from the free throw line, but it took Foster going off in absolutely ridiculous fashion to beat us, and even then it took OT and a last second bomb. This is a heartbreaking loss, but it is a long, long way from a bad loss.

This doesn't hurt our seeding at all. It doesn't help it, but this wasn't a home loss to Auburn. We lost at Vandy. Just a few days ago we beat Florida, the team beating UT right now, on their home court. We had won 15 of 18 coming in. We didn't all of the sudden slide way down the seedings. We are still in good shape. We need to win Saturday, nothing changed. It'd be nice to win at least one in the SECT, nothing changed. Nothing changed tonight. It sucks to lose a game that you had control of and that you had opportunities to ice with free throws. It sucks to have one guy go off and win the game by himself. But, let's not go overboard here. The team is still in great shape. I swear, I don't know how some of you make it in life the way you overreact over every little thing that happens on here.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
...but to say that fouling a team that was down by TWO when they hit a game winning THREE is a bad idea... well, I think you are crazy.

Who gives a %*%+*@$ **** if they make both FTs?? It's better to be in double OT than to lose!

ArrowDawg

Oct 10, 2006
.......might have been implying that we should have fouled Foster prior to the end of regulation, when we were up by 3. That's when I would have liked to see it, but certainly not up by 2 in OT.

Uncle Leo

Jun 30, 2006
Don't come to this board within 24 hours of a loss.

The overreacting retardation on here is baffling. I don't see how some of these people make it through a day.

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
You don't give the opponent a second overtime when you are leading with seconds to go, that's just stupid. You play defense. If the guy makes the 3, well they just beat you. You make the opponent hit the big shot. Give them credit, they did. We send them to the line and we have a second overtime on the road without Varnado. Yep, that's a great idea. Hindsight is 20/20. I guarantee you that if Stans had done exactly as you suggested, people would be bitching non-stop about how stupid he was. Sometimes you just lose a game. Want to blame someone? Blame Hans and Rhodes for not making some free throws. That's the only thing I'm upset about.

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
The fouling at the end of regulation, I understand. That's a valid point and a valid strategy. Perhaps we should have done that.

But, some people are also saying we should have fouled Foster at the end of overtime, pretty much giving up our lead and handing them overtime with the way they were shooting free throws. That is stupid and that is what I'm talking about. When up 2 you play defense, particularly on the road. Now, we shouldn't have been up by just 2, but we were.

Uncle Leo

Jun 30, 2006
To me, that's too much time left to employ such a strategy, especially given the way we were shooting FTs.

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
There's a guy in this thread arguing for fouling at the end of overtime. That's what I'm talking about. If you can't figure that out then perhaps this board is over your head.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
....it would've hardly been stupid, much less defeatist, to foul somebody before he got his *%!%%+# hands on the ball.

Why not nip it in the bud and take the chance that they might miss a shot?! We pissed away almost 30 seconds letting Foster set up for the game winner instead of having a chance at maybe taking it ourselves.

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
if we had done as you suggested and gotten slaughtered in the 2nd OT, you'd be bitching at Stansbury for handing away our lead with seconds to go in the 1st OT. Regardless of how well a guy is hitting from behind the 3 point line, sending someone to the charity stripe up 2 on the road when they hadn't missed one all night from there would have been totally stupid and would have earned Rick a ton of grief from this board. I forgot though, this board is heavily into overreaction, hindsight, and our coaches are damned if they do damned if they don't.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
you always make the other team beat you from three if you are up by two at the end of the game. there is no rule that if someone is hot you foul them when they get the ball in that situation. it doesn't happen. no coach does it and stans won't do it. we got beat by foster with a really great shot, on his home court, on senior night and by not hitting free throws.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
We lost in OT in the absolutely most predictable way possible, according to how the 2nd half and forward was dictated.

Letting them run the clock all the way down and then letting their guy that couldn't have missed if he'd wanted to have the game winning shot did what it should have.... it got us beat.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
The guy only scored more points in the 2nd half on than any one of our individuals did in the entire game... but, I'll let that irrelevant point slide.

Afro Dawg

Jan 23, 2007
But Eckie, are you actually suggesting that we should foul a team that is perfect from the free throw line with a 2-point lead in the final 10 seconds of overtime? That just bypassed five worth of stupidity to quickly become one of the stupidest things ever posted on this board.

Also, in regulation, I don't think fouling Foster was a good strategy either. With 14 seconds left, up 3, you put Vandy on the line who hasn't missed a FT. If they make both, they're down 1 and immediately foul. So you've effectively turned the last 10 seconds into a free throw shooting contest. That wasn't a good strategy. Obviously, playing straight up didn't work and that sucks.

But we just went into a building where a team was 18-0 on the year and did everything but win the game. If we shoot free throws at all, we win. I realize it's easier for the same circle of posters to make the same comments they make every time we lose, but anyone with any ability to objectively look at tonight shouldn't be in meltdown mode.

In two straight road games against tough opponents, we've played very well and we have gotten our act together at the right time of the year. That's the big picture.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
You're arguing that it's better to lose the game on a last second 3 to the player that you knew was going to take, and pretty much inevitably make, than to give your own team a chance at taking the last shot.

Vandy staying perfect at the FT line would've still given us a shot at winning tonight. Letting a player that was as hot as Shan Foster was tonight take the game winning shot wouldn't have, and most certainly didn't.

I'm not saying that you want to execute this plan on any given night in the same situation. But, this was an extraordinary game that we lost in the most predictable of circumstances.

TexasHoopCoach

Mar 3, 2008
Uncle Leo said:
Don't come to this board within 24 hours of a loss.

<span style="text-decoration: underline; font-weight: bold; font-style: italic;">The overreacting retardation on here is baffling. I don't see how some of these people make it through a day.</span>

What he said............</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
your and idiot.

Beautiful hindsight you have there. In all the years I have watched basketball, I am having trouble recalling someone intentionally fouling in that situation. You make them make the shot to beat you. They did. Next game is LSU.

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
if we foul there this board gives Stans a ton of grief, including eckie. I can see it now: "the recruiter strikes again." "Outcoached again." "No other coach would have fouled there." "You gave up the lead Stans, good job." The man cannot win with some of you.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
...you need to quit putting words in my mouth.

I've been a bigger fan of Stansbury's coaching than I've been of his recruiting. I don't think that anybody has a legit claim that the man isn't a "floor coach" or any of the other ridiculous lemming catch phrases that stick to him on this board.

But, I've already stated how I would've felt had we given ourselves a chance at the last shot tonight. I have no reason to state it again. Where's the obtuse buster when I need him?!

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
Yes, JR, that's who you need to agree with you. That's about the level of intelligence that would buy into your strategy.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
And you've, by no means, added anything to this conversation.

+1 for me, too!!</p>

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
...is conjecture that I would be bitching about us fouling at the end. Even though I've adamantly said that I would've preferred us to foul at the end and have been about as clear as to why I would feel that way as I can possibly be.

You really don't have anything substantial to add, do you?

+1

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
The majority of this board would have lost it if Stans had told his guys to foul there. Have you noticed that only 3 other posters agree with you on the fouling thing, and one or two of them have an axe to grind with Stansbury? Most people have said fouling there is a very bad strategy.

The fact is we never should have been up by 2 there. We missed free throws that could have, at worst, had us up 3.

wpnetdawg

May 1, 2006
If we foul in regulation, Vandy makes both to go down by one.

There is plenty of time for them to foul us. Based on how we are hitting FTs, we likely go 1 for 2. We go back up by two.

Assuming Foster remains flawless, he hits a three and we lose in regulation instead of overtime.

Based on how things went down in the game, I think it is very likely how everything would have went down had we fouled in that situation.

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
we were right not to foul. You can't foul with 14 seconds left in regulation up 3 with the way both teams were shooting free throws.

Stansfield

Apr 3, 2007
The bastard was hitting 3s just as much as they were hitting there free throws. You foul him at the end in OT and at least tie it up to go to double OT. You don't let him shoot the three at the very end when he was hitting every three that he put up, that was stupid.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login