Cam Tullar in the Portal

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Good luck to him but he's a Sr pitcher w/ a 10.12 ERA that gave up 33 hits, 27 runs and 16 walks in just 24 innings.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I’ve seen too many pitchers make night and day jumps one year to the next to be happy a pitcher leaves the program. Sometimes something just clicks for these guys and I’d rather them be wearing maroon when it does. Last years ERA doesn’t necessarily predict future success or lack there of. Right now we need bodies, especially on the pitching staff.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I’ve seen too many pitchers make night and day jumps one year to the next to be happy a pitcher leaves the program. Sometimes something just clicks for these guys and I’d rather them be wearing maroon when it does. Last years ERA doesn’t necessarily predict future success or lack there of. Right now we need bodies, especially on the pitching staff.
Agree, and it seems like only our fans are negative enough to not understand this.

THAT said.....man Tullar couldn't even throw strikes. I'm not sure he's ever coming around. And I'm starting to wonder about Fristoe too.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

Shouldn't be happy to see him leave, but we have to get better pitching, and I don't know how we rebuild our bull pen and maintain a decently balanced roster without some pitchers leaving.

And I'm not sure Tullar has the type of raw talent that if he figures out control, he's suddenly going to be dominant. If you're going to carry somebody that can't throw strikes in hopes that they can figure it out as a senior, you really need to feel like they are going to be really good if they figure it out. Like Fristoe for example (not that he is a senior, but I assume he's at least showed enough potential to be on Team USA).

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Him announcing he is leaving now, this late after our season was over, makes me wonder if we are picking up someone we were not expecting. Maybe he was asked to transfer to make room for someone.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
LSU just signed another portal guy, a stud pitcher from UCLA. We better pick up the pace.
If you think we're going to keep up with LSU you may as well give up.

And further, it really doesn't matter what they do. So what if they have an all-star stud team. When's the last time the #1 seed won the whole thing?

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
O.K. I hope to be not too far behind and good enough to make a regional and super regional and preferably host. Oh, and I don't know.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
O.K. I hope to be not too far behind and good enough to make a regional and super regional and preferably host.
We can do that without spending a million dollars in the portal like LSU. Sort of like we did.....last year.

Oh, and I don't know.
Not surprising.

Gets old having to continually explain this. There's more than enough players to go around in college baseball. Wish we could all accept facts so we can move on to discussing more interesting things.

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
Time to bring in a high ranked transfer.

Lemonis just passed me on Hwy 45 south doing about 90 mph**

Per Kendal Rogers
TRANSFER NEWS: @SouthernMissBSB RHP Hurston Waldrep has entered the Transfer Portal and is now on the @d1baseball Transfer Tracker. Waldrep struck out 140 and walked 33 in 90 innings of work for #USM this past season. Tough loss for the Golden Eagles.

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
Apologies. Don't want you to prematurely age. I'll do better and actually pay attention to your posts one day. Promise. Anyway, lemme guess. 2003? 2014? 1998? Was I close?

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Him announcing he is leaving now, this late after our season was over, makes me wonder if we are picking up someone we were not expecting. Maybe he was asked to transfer to make room for someone.

I'm as clueless as the next guy but this reeks of the shoulder nudge.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Gets old having to continually read your post like you are somehow smarter than every single person on the planet.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I bet they always knew this spot would be open. I don’t think anyone expected him to return.

A few weeks back when we had several other announce they were leaving, Steve said he didn’t expect anymore. Now obviously Steve is not the final authority on this but he spoke pretty confident about it.

Junction John

Oct 22, 2014
Today was the deadline for portal entry, so everyone needed to wait and see whether a few remaining guys went in or not.

I have found in my experience (or old age) two things to be true:

1. Unless you're one of the guys actually in the office making calls, on the field coaching, or in the house recruiting - there is not much you can do about it so no need to get stressed or anxious. Chill bro. Trust the process. Patience, Grasshopper. Or whatever cliche you want to use, but it's 100% true when it comes to this.

2. Except in one way: if you want to get involved with MSU athletics, actually affect the outcome, help State get/keep the best players and succeed on the field - contribute to the Bulldog Initiative, even just a little. This is totally new in that the masses out here in message board land can help in a real way. Don't just talk about it, do it.

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
If you think we're going to keep up with LSU you may as well give up.

And further, it really doesn't matter what they do. So what if they have an all-star stud team. When's the last time the #1 seed won the whole thing?

Your expectations of what the expectations should be suck; be better than that

The saying “the cream rises to the top” applies here - if my team is continually a number 1 seed, number 1 recruiting class, number 1 in development, etc., my chances over time exponentially increase to be standing last each year.

And you would rather not be a number 1 seed because they haven’t won it all recently - got damn kid, get your mind right

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
And there it is

Nixon led Texas with nine saves in 27 appearances in 2021, finishing with a 2.12 ERA, 36 strikeouts and a .211 opponent batting average across 34 innings. That was good enough to earn freshman All-American status along with an All-Big 12 honorable mention.

But Nixon took a surprising step back as a sophomore in 2022 while dealing with command issues. Though he did strikeout 38 in 30 1/3 innings pitched, the 6-foot-1 righty also issued 25 walks, hit five batters and threw four wild pitches. Nixon ended his second and final season at Texas with a 1-3 record, five saves and a 5.04 ERA.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Nixon led Texas with nine saves in 27 appearances in 2021, finishing with a 2.12 ERA, 36 strikeouts and a .211 opponent batting average across 34 innings. That was good enough to earn freshman All-American status along with an All-Big 12 honorable mention.

But Nixon took a surprising step back as a sophomore in 2022 while dealing with command issues. Though he did strikeout 38 in 30 1/3 innings pitched, the 6-foot-1 righty also issued 25 walks, hit five batters and threw four wild pitches. Nixon ended his second and final season at Texas with a 1-3 record, five saves and a 5.04 ERA.

Texas fired their pitching coach.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login