Came Across Larry Bird Baseball picture

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
I came across this picture of Larry Bird played Baseball for Indiana State in a double header. The Jersey looked like something that Mississippi State could pull off. The same font of our 80s jersey and we have all seen the state outline with a star at Starkville. I kinda like it.

View attachment 442956
Man. I miss the NBA of the late 80’s and 90’s when I was a kid.

Bird. Magic. Dominique. Jordan. Isiah Thomas. Drexler. Barkley. Malone and Stockton. The Bad Boys of Detroit. Showtime. The Knicks and Pacers rivalry highlighted by Spike Lee and Reggie Miller.

yea yea yea. Get off my lawn.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020

Bird. Magic. Dominique. Jordan. Isiah Thomas. Drexler. Barkley. Malone and Stockton. The Bad Boys of Detroit. Showtime. The Knicks and Pacers rivalry highlighted by Spike Lee and Reggie Miller.

1699368699610.gif
This was called a common foul. No technical. No ejection. Flagrant fouls didn’t exist.

Reactions: Mjoelner

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010

I was watching some YouTube highlight videos of that era last night. The way they fouled without getting ejected is almost comical compared to now.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I came across this picture of Larry Bird played Baseball for Indiana State in a double header. The Jersey looked like something that Mississippi State could pull off. The same font of our 80s jersey and we have all seen the state outline with a star at Starkville. I kinda like it.

View attachment 442956
There's actually a funny story behind him playing in that double header.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022

Have you watched "Winning Time" on HBO? The comedy/drama series that shows the behind the scenes antics of Jerry Buss and the Showtime Lakers. It will take you back to the good old days, and I thought it was awesome. John C. Reilly as Buss was incredible.

edited to add: Plus there are quite a few titties.*

Last edited:

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

View attachment 442956
Had no idea.

Bruce, did you play other sports growing up or just baseball? What are your thoughts on proper age, if any, for sports specialization?

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
Have you watched "Winning Time" on HBO? The comedy/drama series that shows the behind the scenes antics of Jerry Buss and the Showtime Lakers. It will take you back to the good old days, and I thought it was awesome. John C. Reilly as Buss was incredible.

Yep. Good show indeed.

finally got to watch “the last dance” featuring the bulls and Jordan on Netflix not long ago. That brought back some memories too.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Had no idea.

Bruce, did you play other sports growing up or just baseball? What are your thoughts on proper age, if any, for sports specialization?
I played Basketball, Tennis, Golf, Bowling. I never played organized Football, just with my friends. My HS FB team was not that great and I didn't want to get injured for no reason. I was All-Division and averaged 21 points a game in HS Basketball. Bowling I averaged 203 in the league I bowled in. Golf when I was young I was an 70s-80s type player and Dad kinda wished I concentrated on that. Tennis I made the team in HS, but had no time to actually play. In the Northeast you couldn't play Baseball all year.

When I got to State almost all those guys were multi sport athletes in HS. I did more practice in Baseball than any other sport starting at about 13. I still played the other sports with a good amount of Basketball in the colder months. I still think during your growing years trying to concentrate on mechanics is problematic due to the constantly changing size and strength of your body. I played Varsity Baseball all 4 years of HS but my freshman and sophomore years were totally different from how much I grew in those 4 years. ( I was 13 when I started HS) I wasn't in full power mode those first 2 years just because I was smaller and weaker. Each year I went through some major changes in my approach due to those physical changes. So I went from a .350 singles type hitter to a .580 power hitter in those 4 years. So mechanics and even mental approach had to change due to physical changes.

Therefore I don't believe in early exclusive concentration in a single sport. I did not play organized baseball until I was 8. That was the earliest league available in my town. I didn't really face pitching in "hardball" until then. Only playground stickball and wiffle ball did we actually pitch to each other.

Burnout is real and discovery of other sports helps prevent that. The diversity and socialization you can get from playing multiple sports is beneficial. My Dad was much more involved with my Baseball, Golf and Bowling and more in the background on my other sports. With that said I was pretty good in almost any sport I tried. I had a few options and maybe that is not realistic to all people so concentration could happen earlier.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I played Basketball, Tennis, Golf, Bowling. I never played organized Football, just with my friends. My HS FB team was not that great and I didn't want to get injured for no reason. I was All-Division and averaged 21 points a game in HS Basketball. Bowling I averaged 203 in the league I bowled in. Golf when I was young I was an 70s-80s type player and Dad kinda wished I concentrated on that. Tennis I made the team in HS, but had no time to actually play. In the Northeast you couldn't play Baseball all year.

When I got to State almost all those guys were multi sport athletes in HS. I did more practice in Baseball than any other sport starting at about 13. I still played the other sports with a good amount of Basketball in the colder months. I still think during your growing years trying to concentrate on mechanics is problematic due to the constantly changing size and strength of your body. I played Varsity Baseball all 4 years of HS but my freshman and sophomore years were totally different from how much I grew in those 4 years. ( I was 13 when I started HS) I wasn't in full power mode those first 2 years just because I was smaller and weaker. Each year I went through some major changes in my approach due to those physical changes. So I went from a .350 singles type hitter to a .580 power hitter in those 4 years. So mechanics and even mental approach had to change due to physical changes.

Therefore I don't believe in early exclusive concentration in a single sport. I did not play organized baseball until I was 8. That was the earliest league available in my town. I didn't really face pitching in "hardball" until then. Only playground stickball and wiffle ball did we actually pitch to each other.

Burnout is real and discovery of other sports helps prevent that. The diversity and socialization you can get from playing multiple sports is beneficial. My Dad was much more involved with my Baseball, Golf and Bowling and more in the background on my other sports. With that said I was pretty good in almost any sport I tried. I had a few options and maybe that is not realistic to all people so concentration could happen earlier.
Thanks for the response. I think that beyond burnout, because of several factors listed above, an early focus could potentially cause someone to miss out on their best sport. To your point above, I felt like I could directly attribute some of my kid's sports low points to their hand/eye coordination being off after a growth spurt. I makes sense that it is hard to develop consistency when your hand is constantly moving further away from your body and you are getting taller.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bulldog Bruce

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006

I've told people that when I'm at an MSU football game, I stand and cheer like a normal fan but when I'm watching from home, I'm more like Jerry West beneath the stands when they are playing the Sixers. If you've seen the show, you'll know what I mean.

• Haha
Reactions: Darryl Steight

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I've told people that when I'm at an MSU football game, I stand and cheer like a normal fan but when I'm watching from home, I'm more like Jerry West beneath the stands when they are playing the Sixers. If you've seen the show, you'll know what I mean.
bro same.gif

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login