Camping at the horse park - football

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
Does anybody camp there using a pop up or small trailer or is it mainly big rigs and fifth wheels?

it has been 7 or 8 seasons since I camped there in a travel trailer and I have since downsized to a hard wall pop up.

From what I remember the gravel is really really thick there. Also, not sure I want to be there in my small camper among a sea of $200k+ rigs if there aren’t other small guys out there.

Reactions: rockydawg1013

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
National Lampoons Christmas Vacation GIF by Max

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
It is thick gravel but I'd camp there in a tent if I wanted too. 17em if they don't want to park next to me.

Reactions: Rupert Jenkins

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
It is thick gravel but I'd camp there in a tent if I wanted too. 17em if they don't want to park next to me.
But you don't want to be parked next to one of them either smelling fumes and hearing the noise when they all start cranking generators, air conditioners, diesel heaters, etc and run them all night if you're in a pop up either, or I wouldn't

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Horse Park has electricity and water hook ups so nobody should be running generators. I've been RVing for years, you're going to find more inconsiderate A holes in $10k travel trailers than you will in $200 motor homes. That guy in that MH has been there and experienced it. He started with a pop up or a small travel trailer and knows what not to do.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
After getting the ridiculous quotes from the hotels this season, I'm considering a camper trailer for Starkville and to use on other summer adventures.

I just need to figure out the numbers.

Reactions: Killawatt

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
This a hole is looking for a place to park his $15K rig for an extended time (until I buy a house). Any good places with a reasonable price?

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
This a hole is looking for a place to park his $15K rig for an extended time (until I buy a house). Any good places with a reasonable price?
There is a RV park/ storage place on old 25 somewhere. It opened a couple of years ago. I’ve never stayed there but I’ve talked to people who have stayed there for games. Can’t remember the name of the place.

Reactions: The Cooterpoot

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
There is a RV park/ storage place on old 25 somewhere. It opened a couple of years ago. I’ve never stayed there but I’ve talked to people who have stayed there for games. Can’t remember the name of the place.
It is very nice. Easy access. They keep expanding it.

Reactions: The Cooterpoot

bolddogge

Aug 23, 2012
It's Moreland's storage. I ditched the horse park several years ago when they announced they'd open up with special covid rules and have been using Moreland's ever since. They don't have the convenience of the shuttle to campus for the games that the horse park has, but Moreland's has several things that the horse park doesn't. Their spots are spaced farther apart so the noisy neighbors aren't so annoying. All their spots are concrete pads with full hook ups (50A electric, water and sewer). When the wife takes long showers, full hook ups are a necessity. They do offer long term rates. The times I've stayed there, I've noticed a few rigs (of all types) in the same spots for quite a while. Some appear to be students, others retirees.

goodknight

Jan 27, 2011
After getting the ridiculous quotes from the hotels this season, I'm considering a camper trailer for Starkville and to use on other summer adventures.

Guess you didn’t check the Tangerine Motel in Crawford!

Baddmann

Sep 20, 2015

This is what got us into RVing. We moved the youngest daughter in and my wife decided she wanted to go to all the football games that fall. (We had no tickets and hotels were already booked.) So I found the Horsepark and bought a camper. We had a great time (Only drawback is if it rains. Make sure you have a rug you can throw away!)

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
(Only drawback is if it rains. Make sure you have a rug you can throw away!)
Get an outdoor RV rug. They're made with a weaved plastic that cleans up super easy. Comes with a carrying case and corner stakes. You can hose it right off in minutes while you are camping if it quits raining or when you are packing up.

$80-$110 on Amazon for 9*12 or 9*18 respectively.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
It's Moreland's storage. I ditched the horse park several years ago when they announced they'd open up with special covid rules and have been using Moreland's ever since. They don't have the convenience of the shuttle to campus for the games that the horse park has, but Moreland's has several things that the horse park doesn't. Their spots are spaced farther apart so the noisy neighbors aren't so annoying. All their spots are concrete pads with full hook ups (50A electric, water and sewer). When the wife takes long showers, full hook ups are a necessity. They do offer long term rates. The times I've stayed there, I've noticed a few rigs (of all types) in the same spots for quite a while. Some appear to be students, others retirees.
That the one around where the old VFW building was?

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
This is what got us into RVing. We moved the youngest daughter in and my wife decided she wanted to go to all the football games that fall. (We had no tickets and hotels were already booked.) So I found the Horsepark and bought a camper. We had a great time (Only drawback is if it rains. Make sure you have a rug you can throw away!)
It’s kinda how we started as well. I had a big goose neck equipment trailer for sale and a guy wanted to trade me a toy hauler travel trailer for it. I’d never owNed one nor had the desire to but going to Sturgis SD was on my bucket list so we traded. My wife was like, what are we going to do with it in the mean time. It was August and I called the BDC and somehow got a spot on campus. This was back when all the RVs were in the Hump parking lot. We’re on our fifth RV and I still haven’t been to Sturgis. Met great friends and had a blast tailgating.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login