Can Prime win the PAC 12 with the JSU team he had last year?

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Apparently, that's his plans and is why so many guys jump into the portal. I think they are up to 41 since he took over. That's almost a self-imposed penalty.

Reactions: MaroonSadness99

FormerBully

Sep 2, 2022
They will only win about four games in year one, but I think it works. The roster was in bad shape to begin with. I think he telling most of the guys leaving to go somewhere else. He has the top-rated portal class and top 30 recruiting class. Building a winning program takes time.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
They will only win about four games in year one, but I think it works. The roster was in bad shape to begin with. I think he telling most of the guys leaving to go somewhere else. He has the top-rated portal class and top 30 recruiting class. Building a winning program takes time.
That's what people like Sly Croom said. And all the people that competed against him, shockingly** agreed with him.

That was 19 years. Things have changed a little bit since then. Good coaches show at least visual improvement in year 1, then measurable improvement in year 2. Especially now with the portal. Long term, things fluctuate, yes. But we'll see very quickly if Prime can succeed in high stakes college football.

It's different taking FBS dropouts down at an FCS school. We'll see if he can actually take real transfers from the big boys.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
His mouth and NFL clout recruited better talent than the other SWAC schools and that is why he was successful. He now has to recruit and be able able to coach kids up against equal competition. I like Deon but I don't think he gets it done. Once things go South a time or two he will start blaming everyone but himself.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I don't think he's going to be able to 'out-talent' the Pac the way he did the SWAC and he couldn't even finish that job and get a Celebration Bowl victory, even with a huge talent disparity.

This year is going to be rough playing TCU, Oregon, USC, UCLA, Oregon State, and Utah, but you also have to think about where Colorado and/or the Pac are going to be in the next 2-3 years. I think it goes one of 5 ways:
1. The Pac remains intact and backfills USC and UCLA with SDSU and, I dunno, SMU or UNLV
2. Oregon, Washington, Stanford, and Cal bolt for the Big Ten and the Pac remains otherwise intact and backfills with SDSU, SMU, SJSU, and UNLV
3. The "four corners" schools (including Colorado) and maybe Washington State & Oregon State bolt for the Big 12
4. Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, Washington State, and the four corner schools go to the Big 12
5. The Pac remains as-is with only USC and UCLA leaving.

I think the only scenarios where Colorado enjoys any sort of success are 2 and maybe 3. They win in a watered down Pac and have glimpses of success in the patchwork Big 12. If things remain as they are, I think Deion is going to consistently lose against Washington, Oregon, and Utah and will be a toss-up against Oregon State, Washington State, and Arizona. He probably does well against Stanford, Arizona State, and Cal because they are now or are going to be in rebuilding mode for the next 2-3 years.

I'm only looking at things in terms of a 2-3 year future because I think that's the length of time he's going to be at Colorado. He's either going to win enough that God leads him to get a job at a "name" university (or the NFL) or he's going to lose enough that God leads him to have his contract bought out.

Baddog11

Aug 28, 2013
After going 1-11 last year, getting Colorado to a bowl in year one would be success. They had more fans at the spring game than had been to a Colorado spring the past 12 seasons COMBINED.

im happy they took the espn1 spring game tv spot away from alabama. They are most definitely trending up. Deion will be back to a warm weather school within 3 years.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
If they do then that's three more than last year. There is a reason he is doing what he is doing. That being said I don't think he can put talent the PAC, not even after USC and UCLA depart.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login