can someone help me....

LOTRGOTDAWGFAN

May 23, 2022
had a conversation the other day with a colleague. He went to some college in the northeast but distinctly remembered the 1996 MSU basketball team run. He mentioned something about the team getting shirts or caps that said mississippi instead of MSU and richard williams threw a fit. i couldn't recall so if someone remembers more vividly, please enlighten me.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
had a conversation the other day with a colleague. He went to some college in the northeast but distinctly remembered the 1996 MSU basketball team run. He mentioned something about the team getting shirts or caps that said mississippi instead of MSU and richard williams threw a fit. i couldn't recall so if someone remembers more vividly, please enlighten me.
I remember Richard holding up a hat at a press conference that said Mississippi and not Mississippi State. He had a few words to say about it. Other than that I don't recall any other issues.

Reactions: KentuckyDawg13

Theconnormead

Jan 26, 2023
RW made a smart a$$ remark (in great way) about respect and how they couldn't even get our name right or something along those lines. It was a perfect comment at the time.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
RW made a smart a$$ remark (in great way) about respect and how they couldn't even get our name right or something along those lines. It was a perfect comment at the time.
tipping derek jeter GIF

Reactions: Theconnormead

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I love that GIF. I am so glad the camera man was pointing that direction when this absolute unit of a kid did this.
Apparently that's Jeter's nephew. That kid's probably already slain more poon than all of us combined.

bannerdawg

Aug 15, 2013
Hats. I tried to get Bart Hyche to sell me his.

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
I remember them all coming out for the Syracuse game in brand new, matching shoes - i think they were gold. Knew we were in trouble when I saw em.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
I remember that the preseason basketball poll for 1995-1996 had us 9th. we would’ve been 8th, but some writer got us confused with Ole Miss and voted for him instead. That was the first time I learned that the world doesn’t give a 17 about us

Feb 25, 2018
That final four run was epic, think I still have a tshirt buried somewhere in my closet. Around the time I’d be logging into AOL listening to my 56k modem connect….what a time to be alive. RW has great insights on the radio broadcast and I normally listen to the radio broadcasts while watching, although I did give up on syncing it. If it’s a little ahead or behind I’m good with it.

Reactions: Mr. Cook

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
It definitely happened and Richard was pissed about it at the pre tournament presser. It would have come off better had we shown up against Syracuse.

Reactions: Mr. Cook

dstatechamps

Oct 15, 2006
It definitely happened and Richard was pissed about it at the pre tournament presser. It would have come off better had we shown up against Syracuse.
It definitely happened and Richard was pissed about it at the pre tournament presser. It would have come off better had we shown up Marcus not been bought off against Syracuse.

FIFY

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
....or won the whole damn thing. We owned Kentucky that year. They were scared of us and relieved that they didn't have to face us.

dogmatic001

Sep 30, 2022

The night we beat Cincinnati to advance from the Elite 8 to the Final Four, the hats tournament organizers passed out to the team on the floor in victory had "MISSISSIPPI" embroidered on them.
Richard Williams remarked on it in the post-game presser. I can still picture him holding up one of the hats to show it to the camera.
His remarks were in the vein of "no one knows who we are," or something to that effect. It wasn't one of his more spectacular moments, but it happened.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login