Can't help but wonder in the Vandy boards are having a similar meltdown...

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
like ours seem to be. With Vandy being only one game ahead of us in the SEC, I'm sure their fans are calling for an overhaul after a "dumpster fire" season.

Maybe we can hire Tim Corbin when they let him go********

Not saying - just saying

SLUdog

May 28, 2007
Tim Corbin is a great coach...

I wish we hired him 10 years ago because he could have done a lot at MSU. I'm not melting down, but I'm disappointed. I think we'll be a good team next year. And I won't give up on the season until the last out.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Vandy doesn’t have fans….

like ours seem to be. With Vandy being only one game ahead of us in the SEC, I'm sure their fans are calling for an overhaul after a "dumpster fire" season.

Maybe we can hire Tim Corbin when they let him go********

Not saying - just saying

So, it’s doubtful.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Pre-season rankings may have considered some players that are out injured right now…

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Corbin has one of the best situations in college sports.

I wish we hired him 10 years ago because he could have done a lot at MSU. I'm not melting down, but I'm disappointed. I think we'll be a good team next year. And I won't give up on the season until the last out.

Baseball is one of the few sports that the state of TN is pretty damn good at, and Vandy can use their endowment to pick up what the players can’t financially to make up a full scholarship.

I’ve never seen anything extraordinary about Corbin’s coaching.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
-Does Vandy have boards?
-Do Vandy have fans give a damn? I mean they're in a major metropolitan city and they're stadium seats 3000 and is seldom if ever full so out of those 3000 how many actually care?
-I'd much rather be a member of a fan base that sets high standards and expects the same from the team rather than a fan of a bunch of baseball ignorant, golf clapping, woke liberals. You can sit on your hands in the back corner of the room reading Genes Page if you want but that's not the way this board seems to roll

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
As happens with all college baseball teams we definitely should have been undefeated until after our first major injury at least.

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
As happens with all college baseball teams we definitely should have been undefeated until after our first major injury at least.

The buck stops with... someone other than whose in charge I suppose. This team was trash from the start, and they shouldn't have been

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
The buck stops with... someone other than whose in charge I suppose. This team was trash from the start, and they shouldn't have been

This team isn’t and wasn’t trash. It was a good but not great team that was immediately rendered below average (by SEC standards) by a bunch of crippling injuries to the pitching staff. A 2-seed was probably the ceiling even with a healthy Sims and Simmons, given our horrible scheduling and lack of opportunity to impress the committee without winning 19-20 SEC games. Without them, we won’t finish .500 in SEC play.

It sucks, but in the statistics world they call it assignable cause variation. This coaching staff is a proven commodity. They can’t just **** out better players when injuries and underperformance occur. There’s no magic button for a team full of fence swingers that strikes out way too much, and can’t hit in the clutch. Throw in the pitching injuries and the schedule, and it was just the perfect disaster recipe.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
And in fairness to the staff we got totally fooled by Stinnett shutting down TT which led to a key loss at Georgia and No chance at Ark

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
This team was always going to be less than last year. But we haven't recruited and developed players either, especially pitchers. Hitting numbers are terrible with scoring opportunities, but overall, hitting is better than last year, numbers wise other than Ks. Lots of Ks with runners on. Baserunning numbers are way down. Ks by pitchers are way down due to injuries and lesser talent.
Next year will be ugly unless we get some great transfers. Has the potential to be the worst team in a long time.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Vandy has a proven head coach and won multiple Natty’s with no fan base and hasn’t dropped $70 Million on a baseball field.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Is there another program that gets to hand out a full scholarship to every baseball player legally? It's really simple.

Unofficially Tennessee has been handing them out for 2 years.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
This team was always going to be less than last year. But we haven't recruited and developed players either, especially pitchers. Hitting numbers are terrible with scoring opportunities, but overall, hitting is better than last year, numbers wise other than Ks. Lots of Ks with runners on. Baserunning numbers are way down. Ks by pitchers are way down due to injuries and lesser talent.
Next year will be ugly unless we get some great transfers. Has the potential to be the worst team in a long time.

Our pitching recruiting has been more than fine…its been borderline outstanding, actually. If you have a problem with Landon Sims, Christian Macleod, Cade Smith, KC Hunt, or Brandon Smith, I’d first tell you that you’re expectations are absurdly unrealistic because that’s a really talented list of guys. But even still, your beef would be with Cohen / Cannizaro, because they brought those guys in.

As far as Lemonis, he’s brought on the following:

Will Bednar - 1st Round pick

Houston Harding - vital member of the natty title staff (eventual 3rd starter in Omaha). Also drafted.

Stone Simmons - really solid before the TJ injury

Preston Johnson - has ranged from solid to occasionally dominate for most of the year, despite being forced into a role where he is ill-suited. One of the league leaders in strikeouts.

Parker Stinnett - has been average, but has talent and velocity.

Cam Tullar - hasn’t been great, but some baby-step improvement lately

Pico Kohn - Very solid for a true freshmen….has the look of a potential Friday night guy in the future

Brooks Auger - was our most reliable bullpen arm before his injury.

Jackson Fristoe - elite arm talent who will be a first day draft pick perhaps this year. Unhittable when he’s clicking, but has had trouble between the ears. We’ve seen this story play out a thousand times with other players on previous staffs. Its disappointing that he hasn’t been more consistent, but in no way is he a recruiting miss.

Andrew Walling - never was a proven commodity, but hasn’t panned out for whatever reason

So, if you want to point to Fristoe / Stinnett / Tullar / Walling and say the current staff sucks at recruiting and/or development (while ignoring the overwhelmingly positive results from the other 6 guys), then be my guest. Its an extremely absurd argument, but you do you.

The truth is that Lemonis had to go very pitching heavy very early in his tenure to cover roster gaps from Cohen and Cannizarro. The guys they brought in were great quality, but not enough in quantity for this season or even last season. This particularly led to a lot of JUCO and transfer signees, of which we’ve had mostly good results with some not so good. That’s par for the course for JUCO guys. He was dealt a tough hand for getting us a deep staff set up for this year, but he almost pulled it off before the injuries set in. I’ve got no worries whatsoever about the long term recruiting capability of this staff.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login