CDC Guidance for our student athletes

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapDawg.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
Not just blood clots. Blood clots in athletes. Which are usually in the healthiest category related to the general population.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Not just blood clots. Blood clots in athletes. Which are usually in the healthiest category related to the general population.

So which is it:

Option A: They have confirmation that the vaccine is going to push rates of blood clots up, particularly among the young and athletically fit and this is their ham handed way of trying to address it?

Or

Option B: They have really good data that the vaccine doesn't contribute to blood clots, and are trying to bait antivaxers and vaccine skeptics into making stupid claims so they can bash them rather than have an open debate?

I'm not sure which option would make me feel better/worse about the CDC.

Raiderdawg.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
Am I missing something? The tweet you linked to is using football images referring to the Super Bowl and then the only mention of athletes is that anyone, including athletes, can get DVT. The link in the tweet has absolutely nothing to blood clots in athletes, but send to a general info page about DVT and VTE.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
Blood clots killed a teen aged athlete who was in perfect health in my family several years ago. I know of a few more, including the ones pointed out above. It's not as rare as you think.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
A 35 year old mom in our community died about 2 weeks ago in front of her children from a blood clot. She had surgery around Christmas and was already back at work. Also a competitor of mine’s wife died during Christmas from a blood clot following routine foot surgery.

Last edited:

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
The tweet mentions 'the big game this weekend'. I dont see anything about student athletes. It specifically says 'athlete or fan'.

Its looks like just a PSA tweet. Holy 17.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Blood clots killed a teen aged athlete who was in perfect health in my family several years ago. I know of a few more, including the ones pointed out above. It's not as rare as you think.

I don't think it's a question of how rare it is. It's a question of why the CDC, which can't get basic competencies within its core mission correct (such as not screwing up testing and not standing in the way of other people developing tests) is emphasizing anything that gives an example of mission creep. They just badly fumbled the most deadly pandemic we've had in a good while while also acting politically. They should be taking steps to regain some institutional credibility.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
Has the CDC weighed in on the dangerous trucker boycott on the Northern Border yet?

Raiderdawg.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
I don't think it's a question of how rare it is. It's a question of why the CDC, which can't get basic competencies within its core mission correct (such as not screwing up testing and not standing in the way of other people developing tests) is emphasizing anything that gives an example of mission creep. They just badly fumbled the most deadly pandemic we've had in a good while while also acting politically. They should be taking steps to regain some institutional credibility.

How is talking about blood clot prevention mission creep? They have 4 Centers related non-infectious diseases. These groups don’t stop working in a pandemic.

I won’t defend the CDCs mistakes related to the pandemic. However, there are multiple centers in the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Efforts to prevent blood clots or make people aware of DVT, like this simple PSA, is 100% in their mission.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

'mission creep'...are you using that term correctly?

There has been confusing guidance during the pandemic. The CDC isnt the only group to fumble things. That doesnt excuse them or justify anything, but a good bit of what was fumbled and placed at the foot of the CDC was started by other individuals and groups.

I didnt realize the CDC needs to regain institutional credibility. How long does that process take? And why is releasing a PSA about something unrelated not acceptable during this credibility process?

Dawgtruc

Sep 8, 2018

Several very healthy soccer players have died. All had shots and/or shots plus boosters.
(I call them shots. They're not vaccines. The CDC had to change the wording in all of their documents)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login