Cell tower camera project

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Project Update...

Not one state Senator, our governor, or lt. governor responded. Discouraging to say the least, but not giving up. Ok the contrary, I'm upping the ante. Time to go big or go home. I saw tonight that Senator Wicker has sponsored the TORNADON Act. A summary is as follows:

"The TORNADO Act I introduced would direct NOAA to update their models and use the full resources of today?s technological capabilities to improve warning systems. It would also require NOAA to improve its post-storm assessments to increase our understanding of the signs that precede bad weather. These changes will help raise the quality and speed of our tornado alerts."

The bill has 10 cosponsors in the pic below. Tonight, I emailed Wicker and will be emailing the others tomorrow. If you would like to support this, Monday morning, email those 11 senators and ask them to include this in the bill...especially if you live in any of these senators' jurisdictions. Mention that they have received an email over the weekend from North MS Storm Chasers and you would like them to support this measure. I truly believe this could save lives which is why I am pushing for it so hard and not giving up.
IMG_0987.jpeg

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Tell the Wicker camp you are Fox News contributor HBP and they damn well better respond or you'll just have to primary his cotton headed, peanut butter smiling åss next year.*

Fun fact, Roger Wicker has a son-in-law with the first name Manning. Yes. A human with the first name Manning who works as a lobbyist and is the son-in-law of a US senator. A senator who has been in the house and senate for a combined 28+ years.

Another fun fact. In recent polling, 86% of republicans, 84% of independents, and 80% of democrats favor term limits on congress.

Maybe you tell the Wicker camp next time you're on Fox news you are going to highlight the fact that ole Senator Wicker must be so busy greasing wheels for his lobbyist son-in-law, that he doesn't have time to help save the lives of his constituents with a dirt cheap project. Then point out Wicker is yet another reason term limits are so popular in the US.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
Project Update...

Not one state Senator, our governor, or lt. governor responded. Discouraging to say the least, but not giving up. Ok the contrary, I'm upping the ante. Time to go big or go home. I saw tonight that Senator Wicker has sponsored the TORNADON Act. A summary is as follows:

"The TORNADO Act I introduced would direct NOAA to update their models and use the full resources of today?s technological capabilities to improve warning systems. It would also require NOAA to improve its post-storm assessments to increase our understanding of the signs that precede bad weather. These changes will help raise the quality and speed of our tornado alerts."

The bill has 10 cosponsors in the pic below. Tonight, I emailed Wicker and will be emailing the others tomorrow. If you would like to support this, Monday morning, email those 11 senators and ask them to include this in the bill...especially if you live in any of these senators' jurisdictions. Mention that they have received an email over the weekend from North MS Storm Chasers and you would like them to support this measure. I truly believe this could save lives which is why I am pushing for it so hard and not giving up.
View attachment 342159
You're going to have an uphill battle getting the state to pay for anything that falls under NOAA purview. They don't want the liability that comes with it.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
You're going to have an uphill battle getting the state to pay for anything that falls under NOAA purview. They don't want the liability that comes with it.
This wouldn't necessarily fall under NOAA purview although the NWS would benefit from it, but this may have a better chance of gaining traction at the national level since it already has bipartisan sponsorship. And if this attempt falls through we'll regroup and think of something else. We're not politicians or lobbyists. We have no clue how things work at the state or federal level. We're just crazy people that like to get close to severe weather and report what it's doing. That's what I'm good at. The rest I'm figuring out as I go. That's why I post these updates here and on ED. I know there are people on these boards that of have a clue and I appreciate the feedback. And also trying to build support for it to help convince the powers that be to take us seriously. Why I hope that maybe Wicker and Smith will stalk our team Facebook page and see we have over 70k followers there and maybe that helps sway things. Or maybe I'm delusional.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
Have you considered working with MS Dept of Transportation? They already have a network of traffic cameras. Maybe use the approach of dual purpose cameras for traffic and weather.

Matt Laubhan @ WTVA is using those traffic cameras on the reg during severe weather TV coverage.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Have you considered working with MS Dept of Transportation? They already have a network of traffic cameras. Maybe use the approach of dual purpose cameras for traffic and weather.

Matt Laubhan @ WTVA is using those traffic cameras on the reg during severe weather TV coverage.
The limitation of those is that they are primarily in cities and therefore limited in use. By the time one of those sees something it's already in a populated area. We're wanting to get these out in extremely rural areas where there aren't already cameras to give a good heads up before they get to populated areas and to also alert those that live in those rural areas better warnings.

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
Contact Benni Thompson. He is all about the Delta region, plus he is the Homeland Security chief in the House. I guarantee if you frame it in a way that it is good for Delta inhabitants, h we will at least do what he can to make it go through.

Reactions: aTotal360

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I wish you were getting more success. I think this needs to be a government-funded program; as much money, as they are around these days, we can spare some for some cameras on cell towers across the country to monitor the weather and other possible issues like wildfire. There are other forms of weather that can affect our lives other than just tornadoes.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Contact Benni Thompson. He is all about the Delta region, plus he is the Homeland Security chief in the House. I guarantee if you frame it in a way that it is good for Delta inhabitants, h we will at least do what he can to make it go through.
It actually would be very good for the Delta. Most of that region is in a radar gap this would help fill and the part of the state I wanted to do this the most. I think I will email him and make him aware of what's being pushed on the senate side.

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
He
It actually would be very good for the Delta. Most of that region is in a radar gap this would help fill and the part of the state I wanted to do this the most. I think I will email him and make him aware of what's being pushed on the senate side.
He, in the position he is in, is your key. I would bet that will at least earn an audience with him in 3-6 months. I meant to add frame it in a way that homeland security would benefit by providing aid in logistics in times of civil emergencies. Severe wx events are part of that.

Reactions: Hugh's Burner Phone

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
just throwing this out there, as someone who'd dealt with it. a LOT of strings come attached to federal dollars. And a crap ton of ongoing hoops to jump through, as well.

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
just throwing this out there, as someone who'd dealt with it. a LOT of strings come attached to federal dollars. And a crap ton of ongoing hoops to jump through, as well.
You are correct. Used to the CDBG grants were the way to go. Not sure if those are still available or if they could be used for this. I may be confusing that with state grants.

One other idea is to work with MSU meteorology department and, another, possibly with Raspet Research. They get a ton of federal funds through contracts and such. Someone at State is surely a good point person for this.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login