CFP 6+6 or 5+7?

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
When will we know the 12-team CFP format?

If they stick with the original 6+6 format, the dissolution of Pac-12 essentially gives a second non-power conference a bid. 6+6 would mean a maximum of eight SEC/Big Ten teams. The first 12-team CFP could include Boise State and Liberty.

There was talk of moving to 5+7 after conference realignment, but they never reached an agreement on making that change. 5+7 would increase the maximum SEC/Big Ten bids to nine.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
How it should be...

- SEC, B12, ACC, B10- conference winners get bids.
- G5- top ranked 2 teams get bids.
- Remaining 6 bids are at large.

The argument that the 2nd G5 team has no chance to win and therefore shouldn't be included is pretty 17ing weak since the 10th ranked team also has no chance to win, yet they would still be included in my scenario.
A G5 team that's ranked 20th has the same general chance of winning it all as the 10th ranked team that's from one of th 4 power conferences. That's just the reality based on historical results.
Penn State and Mizzou were 9 and 10 this past season. Neither woulda won the CFP.
KState and USC were 9 and 10 in '22 and neither of them woulda won the CFP.
Might as well include a 2nd G5 team to see what happens.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
How it should be...

- SEC, B12, ACC, B10- conference winners get bids.
- G5- top ranked 2 teams get bids.
- Remaining 6 bids are at large.
This would also max the SEC/Big Ten bids at eight. I'm not saying that should or shouldn't be the case. Just seems noteworthy that the "Power 2" consists of 34 teams and could be limited to eight bids max.

Non-SEC/Big Ten teams in the final CFP rankings last year:
5-Florida State
14-Arizona
15-Louisville
16-Notre Dame
18-NC State
19-Oregon State
20-Oklahoma State
22-Clemson
23-Liberty
24-SMU
25-Kansas State

Some will say the above group should not get 1 out of 3 spots.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
This would also max the SEC/Big Ten bids at eight. I'm not saying that should or shouldn't be the case. Just seems noteworthy that the "Power 2" consists of 34 teams and could be limited to eight bids max.

Non-SEC/Big Ten teams in the final CFP rankings last year:
5-Florida State
14-Arizona
15-Louisville
16-Notre Dame
18-NC State
19-Oregon State
20-Oklahoma State
22-Clemson
23-Liberty
24-SMU
25-Kansas State

Some will say the above group should not get 1 out of 3 spots.
Yeah...I really dont care that it limits the 2 conferences to 8 max bids.
1- If this 'screws' the conferences, they did this to themselves.
2- If 8 of the 34 teams in the SEC and B10 get in, that means only 2 of the 33 teams in the ACC and Big12 made it. Perhaps that should be kept in mind.
3- I disagree that there is a 'power 2'. Utah, Cincy, Houston, KSU, TCU, TT, Okie State, FSU, Clemson, Lvl, and Stanford have all been really damn good in the last decade, and some are currently.
4- The 8th team that is chosen between the SEC and B10, if your scenario happened, wouldnt win the CFP so the 9th definitely wouldnt have won. Again, the confidence in that statement is based on historical results of the CFP and BCS as well as who was in and who was left out thru all those years. The 9-11thth ranked team just isnt a team that is going to Cinderella win it all.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Once the SEC and Big 10 break away (along with ND about probably a dozen more - we're still 5 years away from this), G5 should form their won entity and run a real playoff like the rest of the divisions.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
To my knowledge, the Pac-12 will still be a conference for at least one more season and have not yet lost their AQ/Automomy status. They have a 2 year grace period for backfilling their conference membership to be in good standing with the NCAA, but of course that’s different than the company that runs the CFP.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
To my knowledge, the Pac-12 will still be a conference for at least one more season and have not yet lost their AQ/Automomy status. They have a 2 year grace period for backfilling their conference membership to be in good standing with the NCAA, but of course that’s different than the company that runs the CFP.
So Oregon State and Washington State are playing a 12-game schedule with one conference game? Will they have a rematch in the Pac-12 Championship Game? Will the winner of that game be in the CFP if there isn't a second G5 champ ranked ahead of them?

patdog

May 28, 2007
So Oregon State and Washington State are playing a 12-game schedule with one conference game? Will they have a rematch in the Pac-12 Championship Game? Will the winner of that game be in the CFP if there isn't a second G5 champ ranked ahead of them?
They will play 7 Mountain West schools plus each other for their “conference games.” They won’t get an automatic bid to the playoffs.

Reactions: MSUDOG24 and Dawgg

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
According to this article from today, we should know next Tuesday:

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
According to that article I linked, they still have the Pac-12's voting rights on the CFP board. They're angling now to get a payout equal to the smallest AQ conference member's share and are likely using the Pac-12's AQ status as the bargaining chip.

Most likely outcome is that they're entered into the G5 pool and if they finish higher in the rankings than, say, Liberty or Tulane or whoever, they'll get the G5 spot.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login