CFP picture coming into shape

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Despite some drama, everything was mostly chalk for the 8 teams in the CFP hunt entering the day. Its actually a pretty clear picture. Ohio State now looks to be the first team that’s out. 7 teams left in the hunt:

1) SECCG winner is now fully guaranteed a slot no matter what (Bama or UGA). UGA would be the guaranteed #1 seed if they win. Bama could possibly be the #1 with a win, but looks more likely they’d be in the #2/#3 game if chalk holds elsewhere.

2) PAC 12 CG winner is also fully guaranteed a slot (UW or Oregon). This will be the first CFP representative from the PAC 12 in 7 years. They seem to be destined to be in the 2/3 game, barring the very specific circumstances of UGA losing to Bama, UW beating Oregon, AND Michigan losing to Iowa.

2 of those 4 are in no matter what. That leaves 5 teams battling for the final 2 slots. These are listed below in order of likelihood:

3) Michigan - punches their ticket with a win over Iowa, in which they will be a heavy favorite. BUT, if they lose, they are likely out. #1 seed if they win and UGA loses. Otherwise, they’ll be in the 2/3 game against the Pac 12 rep in what will be the final Rose Bowl circle-jerk of all time between those 2 leagues.

4) FSU - With OSU dropping out, they will move up to #4 in the final CFP rankings release prior to the selection show. They beat Louisville, and they are in. If not, they are very likely out….but not 100% out (see below).

5) Texas - probably the biggest loser in today’s proceedings. FSU won to stay ahead of them, they lost a chance at getting to avenge the OU loss and get a 2nd quality win on their resume when Ok State came back to beat BYU, and to top it all off their 2nd best win - KSU - took one on the chin at home against Iowa State and will probably be no longer ranked in the CFP Top 25. They must win the Big 12 title just to stay alive, but it still may not be enough.

6) UGA (if they lose to Bama) - A 12-1 UGA has an argument against a 12-1 Texas from a resume standpoint, and has an even better argument over a 12-1 Michigan. Throw out the conference champ designation and UGA’s would be way better than Texas. But that conference title means a lot to the committee. For now I’d put UGA here. This is the lowest they can fall.

7) Washington (if they lose to Oregon) - similar to UGA above. Also has possible argument over Texas and a 1-loss Michigan based on the PAC 12 strength vs. the Big 12 / Big 10.

Oregon and Bama would join Ohio State as being out with losses in their championship games.

If anarchy were to ensue, and UGA / Washington both won, FSU lost, and Texas lost, there’s a possible path remaining for Ohio State, but even then you’d have to put them in over a 1-loss FSU that actually made their conference title game, and has a better resume (Ohio State has absolutely no wins better than the one over #18 ND). So I see them as being out under any scenario.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Four teams I saw most media say today, Oregon, Texas, Michigan and Georgia.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Four teams I saw most media say today, Oregon, Texas, Michigan and Georgia.
Media doesn’t know anything without knowing results of next week’s games. All they can do is predict the results of those games and then fill in the variables. The only thing that is certain at this point is that there will be an SEC team and there will be a PAC 12 team.

The scenario above, for example, would assume that Oregon beats UW, UGA beats Bama, Michigan beats Iowa, Louisville beats FSU, and Texas beats Ok State. That’s the scenario that yields those 4 teams. But if you know the results of the games, you’d know the CFP teams in all but a very few specific scenarios. And even then you’d still have a pretty good idea. Its very cut and dry this year…..there won’t be any controversy.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
I think the media is assuming Mich beats Iowa, Oregon beats UW, Texas beats Okla State and Ga beats Alabama.

I would guess all four of those teams would be favored to win.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I think the media is assuming Mich beats Iowa, Oregon beats UW, Texas beats Okla State and Ga beats Alabama.

I would guess all four of those teams would be favored to win.
Yeah but you’re forgetting that FSU also has to lose. Texas is not getting in over a 13-0 ACC champ. No chance. And after today, I’d be surprised if FSU isn’t a decent favorite over Louisville in that game.

I’d also expect Washington to possibly be favored (they won the regular season matchup), and I’d expect Bama / UGA to be close to a pick-em, or maybe even have Bama as a favorite.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
I think Texas gets in over FSU, Oregon beats Washington who barely escaped a bad WSU team , Georgia will beat Bama who barely escaped a bad Auburn team, and Michigan will trounce Iowa.

Most of the media reports I read today also picked those same four teams. they want big 12,:sec, BigTen and PAC representatives.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I think Texas gets in over FSU, Oregon beats Washington who barely escaped a bad WSU team , Georgia will beat Bama who barely escaped a bad Auburn team, and Michigan will trounce Iowa.

Most of the media reports I read today also picked those same four teams. they want big 12,:sec, BigTen and PAC representatives.
Again, Texas will get in over FSU if they win and FSU loses. That is the only way. Texas is already 2 spots behind FSU in the CFP rankings, and they aren’t even the highest ranked 1-loss team (Oregon is).

They can’t make up that ground with a win over #21 Oklahoma State when FSU also counters with a win over Louisville, who will be ranked higher in the #14-#17 range most likely after today’s loss. Its simply impossible for them to jump past them without FSU losing.

CEO2044

May 11, 2009
Yeah, I think they were assuming FSU would fall off the rails without Jordan Travis because he’s so good. They didn’t, though. In no world should they be penalized if they win out, especially with their QB looking pretty good.

Reactions: Perd Hapley
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login