Chadwell

ShelBitty

Oct 11, 2022
Would anybody else be disappointed if it's not him at this point? I get Elko is doing great things at Duke but he doesn't seem to be as much of a home run as Chadwell right? Chadwell is really the only sexy splash hire we could make right? I don't at all get the Gus hype. And Odom is a good coach but I don't see that being just a great hire either. Chadwell or one of the guys from Kansas would be about the only ones I could see really being excited about.

Old Dawg

Jan 7, 2020
Would anybody else be disappointed if it's not him at this point? I get Elko is doing great things at Duke but he doesn't seem to be as much of a home run as Chadwell right? Chadwell is really the only sexy splash hire we could make right? I don't at all get the Gus hype. And Odom is a good coach but I don't see that being just a great hire either. Chadwell or one of the guys from Kansas would be about the only ones I could see really being excited about.

I don't see recruits jumping up and down about Odom.

Nov 20, 2023
I like Fritz if it’s not Chadwell. It can’t be easy to go 12-2 at Tulane and beat USC with Caleb Williams in the Cotton Bowl. I don’t necessarily know much more about him but sure doesn’t sound like a bad option to me. Maybe Leipold I’m not sure if he’s an actual candidate(think someone already said he wasn’t or I think it was him at least could be wrong)… why not more people interested in Fritz?

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I like Fritz if it’s not Chadwell. It can’t be easy to go 12-2 at Tulane and beat USC with Caleb Williams in the Cotton Bowl. I don’t necessarily know much more about him but sure doesn’t sound like a bad option to me. Maybe Leipold I’m not sure if he’s an actual candidate(think someone already said he wasn’t or I think it was him at least could be wrong)… why not more people interested in Fritz?
Fritz’s only drawback is his age. He’s 63, which is 2 years older than Leach was when he passed, and 3 years older than Jackie Sherrill was in 2003 when he coached his last game. He’d be 7+ years older than 12 of the other 15 SEC coaches, and at least 2 years older than every SEC coach but Saban.

I do think he can coach. If you can get 5 years from him, its definitely worth it. Hard to expect more than that from anyone these days, no matter how young or old. But at MSU we’re always going to have to gamble on some aspect of a hire. I think a candidate being too old is a more preferred risk to take than one who doesn’t have enough experience, or otherwise isn’t a great fit for some other reason.

Bullldawg78

Aug 30, 2018
I'm going back to what I've always said, we need someone not looking for a stepping stone or riding off to retirement. I also don't give a 17 about if the coach is offensive minded or defensive minded. I want a Coach who can run a team and bring in top notch coordinators and then when they are not up to expectations or move on replace them. Look at the CEO types Saban/Smart they run a program they aren't calling plays!!!!

Nov 20, 2023
Fritz’s only drawback is his age. He’s 63, which is 2 years older than Leach was when he passed, and 3 years older than Jackie Sherrill was in 2003 when he coached his last game. He’d be 7+ years older than 12 of the other 15 SEC coaches, and at least 2 years older than every SEC coach but Saban.

I do think he can coach. If you can get 5 years from him, its definitely worth it. Hard to expect more than that from anyone these days, no matter how young or old. But at MSU we’re always going to have to gamble on some aspect of a hire. I think a candidate being too old is a more preferred risk to take than one who doesn’t have enough experience, or otherwise isn’t a great fit for some other reason.
Thanks for replying to my post and I tend to feel about the same as you, actually I agree with you. However I see now why he isn’t the top target, I can’t believe I didn’t realize his age I thought he was younger for some reason.

Nov 20, 2023
I really think it’s a matter of time before Chadwell is announced as our next head coach. Just saying, and I hope I am right. It will like others have said be right after he finishes their season and bowl game is the only thing that sucks. I really believe we will get him. Which doesn’t mean jack crap just a feeling. Him Leiopold, or Elko. Maybe Fritz or Sumrall if not them. This is no prediction just hoping for Chadwell. What say y’all percentage wise we get Chadwell? How confident are y’all?

Captain Ron

Aug 22, 2012
I doubt we would have to wait until a bowl game to announce. I would imagine they would not announce until after the CUSA Championship game though.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Fritz age doesn't bother me too much. It took him a while to finally get these 2 good years at Tulane. He did the same at his other 2 stops. A lot of mediocre years and then 2 or 3 really good years.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Whoever you prefer between Elko and Chadwell is just a matter of opinion, both are very good coaches. Elko has a decade’s worth of P5 experience where Chadwell has none, whereas Chadwell has the longer track record as a head coach. If we end up with either one of those guys then Selmon has nailed it.

Fritz is not a bad coach but I think him going 2-10 in 2021 after he’d been there a while has a lot of people kinda freaked out on him. He’s another that hasn’t been in the P5 before as well.

There are enough options out there where we should end up with someone solid. But I think most are hoping for more than solid, we’d like a game changer that breathes new life into the program like Jackie and Dan did.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Fritz record is not good. Yes...every 5 or 6 years he jumps up for 2 years and goes back to 6 and 6 or whatever. Which if we could get to that before he retires might be okay but seems like we could get something more promising. Elko was a good DC and as far as head coach he had a 9 and 3 year and this year not so much. Chadwell has not done it in the big leagues but he has turned every program into an instant winner. And I don't mean 7 and 5. I mean 10 and 11 wins and sustained it. He is far and away my number one. A proven commodity that has not failed so far. Nobody is a sure bet but thats as close as you can get. Then the 2 Kansas guys Elko then Sumrall. Just my opinion. I have soured a little on Kinne and Herman is out

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
And also let me add for you guys that "know football" a lot of times you see a new coach come into a program and have a much better first year and then kinda flatten out. It's like a new coach bump. The players initially like him and play harder and then it just fades away. I don't buy into one good year.

Reactions: Bullldawg78

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
Outside 2 to 3 coaches that I don’t like I will drink the maroon kool-aid and will be excited about whoever. I guarantee that next August I will be at the sports book betting the season over and since it didn’t hit this year I will double this years bet. LFG

Reactions: paindonthurt

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Oh yeah. Regardless of who it is or what I previously posted, as soon as I see him in maroon he will be my favorite coach. At least until around game 5 next year...lol

Bully1972

Jan 2, 2020

Some might be disappointed because they truly think he is the best candidate based on experience and results but the reality is many would be disappointed simply because we didn’t get the first guy they heard mentioned. It happens in every coaching search and sometimes the candidate was not ever actually a true option. Chadwell might be the best option but like literally any other coach he is not a guarantee. Building a program at Coastal Carolina and Liberty is not the same as being a head coach at MSU. So the truth is we just don’t know if he is a good fit or not. We would only know over the next couple of years if is hired. The truth is there is not a single coach out there that will please everyone. Think about it. There isn’t a single MSU head coach that you could get the majority of us to agree on that he was a great coach. Sherrill is the only coach to
take us to the SECCG but people will point to those last years and the dismal records while under investigation. Mullen had the longest and most consistent success but once again he has a ton of critics. So the bottom line is not everyone is going to be pleased with the hire no matter who it is before or after his time at MSU and that displeasure is not always going to be based on the reality of the situation.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login