Championship week rooting guide (long)

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
Just beat Florida. Do that and we are in and playing Bama on Friday for a chance to move up a seed line. Max for us is probably 9 I would guess. But a loss to the Gators is possible, and while it would make the next several days hard to watch, there are other results around the country that could help us out should we need it.

Remember tonight there are two tournament finals that we want to see specific results in. We want Oral Roberts to win the Summit League and Charleston to win the CAA. Those two teams have at large cases should they happen to lose their conference tournaments.

Start in the Big 10
1678227748831.png

Ohio State is talented but had a terrible season. They could do everyone a favor and end the Wisconsin talk tomorrow night. Even if the Badgers win, they probably still need to beat Iowa to feel good about getting in, and even that might not be enough. If Wisconsin wins three games, they will find their way in, so let's get rid of them sooner rather than later. Either Ohio State or Iowa needs to handle them.

Rutgers-Michigan feels like a First Four game already. I'm not sure how the loser could stake a claim to a bid. Rutgers MIGHT be able survive a loss but it would seem certain to be headed for Dayton at that point. Michigan probably still needs to beat Purdue to get in, so my very specific desire is for Michigan to beat Rutgers, then lose to Purdue. Best case for both of them would be Dayton at that point. I guess if we do lose to Florida then I would be for Rutgers to eliminate Michigan, but that game starts an hour before we tip off so I don't have that luxury.

Penn State has some momentum after back to back buzzer beating wins. A loss to Illinois keeps them in the neighborhood of the Last Four In (Dayton)/First Four Out (NIT). Beating Illinois probably locks up a bid for them.

It's not every year that the Mountain West is a key player in the buzz leading up to Selection Sunday, but here we are.
1678228143888.png

San Diego State is a lock. Boise State seems likely. Utah State and Nevada are the bubble teams. The sooner those two lose, the better. We just can't have New Mexico sliding in from the 6 spot to win the tournament, something they are capable of. (I don't think San Jose can do it.) Basically we are pulling against Nevada and Utah State on Thursday and against New Mexico on Friday. I just don't want to see New Mexico playing Saturday with a bid on the line. If that means Utah State beats them then I'll live with that. I guess the most ideal would be for New Mexico to beat Utah State and then lose to Boise State.

The PAC 12 question is are they a two-bid, three-bid, or four-bid league?
1678228650418.png

If Arizona State beats Oregon State, then the matchup with USC is sort of like Michigan and Rutgers, although USC seems to have a better case than Rutgers. Arizona State needs at least two wins and maybe three to get back in the discussion. I wanted Hurley to make it in, but he had his chances and didn't make it happen. Got to pull for USC, especially if we lose to Florida. The PAC 12 might like for Arizona State to beat USC and Arizona, because that's their only hope at four teams getting in (other than a bid thief of course).

The ACC is as much of a crapshoot as any of them.

1678229042156.png

Where to start? North Carolina is the biggest name. They likely need to win tomorrow against BC/Louisville, then against UVA (who they just beat a couple of weeks ago), and then against Clemson/NC State. We all know we don't want to be on the board against UNC on Selection Sunday. We need them to lose early and get it over with.

NC State is PROBABLY safe, but they can't screw around and lose their first one and feel good. I'd rather see the Pack keep winning so they can take care of Clemson (who has almost no case) and then handle business against UNC if it comes to that. My rooting order in the bottom half is all the double digit seeds, then Virginia, then NC State, then Clemson, then UNC.

In the top half, Pitt is sweating like we are. They feel like they need a win. Ga Tech already won their game with FSU, so that's who they play tomorrow. I like Jeff Capel too, but I don't want Pitt in over us. If they beat Tech, Duke needs to take them out.

The Big 12 is stacked.
1678229551098.png
Teams 1-6 are locks, and WVU probably is as well. The bubble team is Oklahoma State. Losing to Oklahoma tomorrow would all but end their hopes. Let's pull for the Sooners to take them out. If not, they have a shot to play their way in against Texas.

I don't care who wins the SEC as long as it isn't Vandy.
1678230139080.png

Seeds 1-5 plus Auburn and Arkansas seemed locked in to bids. The Vandy run needs to end sooner rather than later. I would think neither UGA nor LSU would provide much resistance, but LSU just beat Vandy last week. If Vandy does win that one, we badly need Kentucky to take them out.

This is so much more fun than paying attention to our baseball team.

Attachments

• 1678227445865.png
    1678227445865.png
    382.6 KB · Views: 2

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Oral Roberts looks like a team that will be an incredibly dangerous 11 or 12 seed. Feel bad for the 5 or 6 seed that has to deal with them.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Not often we get to say that, but today was perfect for State's chances.
quiet tim and eric GIF

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
So it looks like today’s significant bubble games are as follows (bubble team listed first):

Pitt vs Georgia Tech
North Carolina vs Boston College
NC State vs Virginia Tech
Wisconsin vs Ohio State
Oklahoma State vs Oklahoma
Arizona State vs Oregon State

Don’t get your hopes up too much on most of these as a lot of them are games against really bad teams. But if any of those six lose today then that’s a positive for us. I think your most likely potential for good news is Wisconsin/Ohio State and OK State/OU.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
So it looks like today’s significant bubble games are as follows (bubble team listed first):

Pitt vs Georgia Tech
Wisconsin vs Ohio State

Don’t get your hopes up too much on most of these as a lot of them are games against really bad teams. But if any of those six lose today then that’s a positive for us. I think your most likely potential for good news is Wisconsin/Ohio State and OK State/OU.
Exactly. Bubble teams are favored in all six, but if any of them lose, it's over for them. Would like to see 1 or 2 drop games today.

Based on what is going on in the other tournaments so far, I think we are in. Lose against Florida and we are probably headed to Dayton Tuesday or Wednesday. Win and we have a shot to avoid the play-in round with a win over Alabama or continued help from other conferences.

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006

Pitt vs Georgia Tech
Wisconsin vs Ohio State

Pitt (-8) vs Georgia Tech
North Carolina (-11.5) vs Boston College
NC State (-3) vs Virginia Tech
Wisconsin vs Ohio State (-2) Yes Ohio State is the favorite
Oklahoma State (-2) vs Oklahoma
Arizona State (-10) vs Oregon State

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Biggest impact games for us. Two monsters today. The other four are behind us and while important, do not matter if we beat Florida.

Georgia Tech over Pitt. 12:30. Odds 16%. Pitt is considered the third of the last four byes. We are the first of the last for in, so Pitt is 2 spots in front of us on the S Curve. A loss to a bad Georgia Tech team + a win over Florida and we might pass them on the S Curve. Tech has won four in a row since losing at Pitt. The Panthers have lost 3 of 5. Watch this one closely.

Virginia Tech over North Carolina State. 7:30. Odds: 42%. VT is the second of the last four byes so they sit 3 spots in front of us on the S curve. Virginia Tech is on a 3-game winning streak while NC State dropped two last week. NC State won the regular season game but it was early January.

Chance of both happening: 6.7%, Roughly 1 in 15.

One happening + win over Florida gives us a 73% chance of avoiding Play in game.
Both happening + win over Florida gives us a 93% chance of avoiding Play in game

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login