Chances the season ends above, at, or below .500

Ozarkdawg

Apr 1, 2017
I think chances are greater we end reg season at .500 baring a rainout. Surely there will be 1 win in the next 2 weekends, but who knows.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
Not sure on that but definitely starting to think we aren’t going to Hoover. Looking like we’ll be tied with Kentucky for the last spot after today.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
100 percent below .500 for SEC. We will probably win the midweek games against the girls schools.

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
What a frustrating weekend. Was there Friday and Saturday, and we haven’t quit, but our pitching is less than impressive. Actually, it sucks. I don’t like to be negative. These are young men, but some of them are not SEC caliber.

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
What a frustrating weekend. Was there Friday and Saturday, and we haven’t quit, but our pitching is less than impressive. Actually, it sucks. I don’t like to be negative. These are young men, but some of them are not SEC caliber.

Sad. This is the closest to a lemonis team that we've saw since he got here, and it's the worst team he's had. Next year appears to maybe be even worse.

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
I'd say chances are pretty good that we're below .500. I predicted a couple of months ago that Howland would have a better winning percentage this year and got some flack for it (don't really care about that). We looked like a really average team with no reliable hitters and limited pitching. We didn't look all that good against weak teams we beat. We don't have any consistent hitters batting above .300. We do hit a lot of homers, especially solo home runs. And next year is gonna be a challenge. Just in the West, A&M is better, Ole Miss has some young talent and LSU is already good and has a really good recruiting class and a coach who isn't afraid to quickly yank a pitcher. Looks like the other SEC teams are really focusing on baseball, the one sport we're usually good at. We better get some high quality transfers and hope a few guys stick around and get better. We have a Natty and a great stadium and fans. But how much does that stadium matter to recruits looking at other schools?

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Agree. The pitching just isn't good enough, for obvious reasons. It's really just that simple.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Sad. This is the closest to a lemonis team that we've saw since he got here, and it's the worst team he's had. Next year appears to maybe be even worse.
This is utterly ridiculous. But nothing I say will shut you up, so carry on. All the facts are right there for you.

Next year won't be worse. Guaranteed. You'll still be here bitching when I am right.

deltadawg63

Aug 23, 2012
Stadium and fans are great but going forward it’s going to be NIL/money in baseball too because other schools have so much alumni money/resources that if the athletic admin wants to emphasize baseball they will get players like Tennessee this year.

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
This is utterly ridiculous. But nothing I say will shut you up, so carry on. All the facts are right there for you.

Next year won't be worse. Guaranteed. You'll still be here bitching when I am right.

Which team since lemonis got here has the most lemonis recruits?

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
Which team since lemonis got here has the most lemonis recruits?

The MVP of the College World Series last year was a Lemonis recruit. The narrative of that he only won with other coaches’ recruits is misleading. And even if it were true, it’s not like it’s a slam dunk that you win big when you walk into a great situation. See Joe Moorhead and Nikki McCray-Penson.

This year has sucked but there’s a lot more proof that Lemonis is a very good coach than there is proof that he’s not.

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
The MVP of the College World Series last year was a Lemonis recruit. The narrative of that he only won with other coaches’ recruits is misleading. And even if it were true, it’s not like it’s a slam dunk that you win big when you walk into a great situation. See Joe Moorhead and Nikki McCray-Penson.

This year has sucked but there’s a lot more proof that Lemonis is a very good coach than there is proof that he’s not.

Well we'll certainly see how his recruiting is going next year bc he's got to fill several spots.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021

You expect mstate7 to use critical thought?? LOL

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012

Please list the Lemonis recruits that you have been disappointed with this season.

Feb 23, 2008
We have 8 of his recruits hitting under .250. Granted, some are limited chances. Pitching wise, I've been disappointed in many but Jack Walker and Walling were our 2 biggest signees. Walker has an ERA over 9 and Walling has a whopping total of 2 appearances. Walker only has 6 for that matter. You expect the player of the year in Louisiana to come in and be better than that.

Last edited:

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I think the last 3 were likely just fliers trying to fill gaps. I doubt those are guys he would target in the long term recruiting game.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Off the top of my head, tullar, Corder, seibert, Talley, and Davis.

So….

-A platoon CF transfer from UAB who has matched his production from CUSA competition last year, but done it against SEC competition this year. Really 17ing unsure how he hasn’t met your expectations.

- A couple of position players who never play

- A couple of JUCO roll of the dice pitchers who were end of the roster fill-ins due to recruiting gaps left by the previous staffs….who both also hardly ever pitch in critical situations in spite of us being thin as hell in the bullpen due to injuries.

This is downright comical. You call this the “most Lemonis team yet”, and the guys you say who aren’t getting it done is one transfer who is doing exactly what we brought him here to do, and 4 guys who don’t play. Literally not a single everyday starter, weekend rotation pitcher, midweek starter, or top bullpen guy listed anywhere.

Last edited:

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Agree. The pitching just isn't good enough, for obvious reasons. It's really just that simple.

I'm less concerned by our pitching than our hitting. Our pitching was a little thinner than you'd like, but Cade has looked good, and PJ has looked good. You give us a Friday night ace and two more bullpen arms, and we are fine (actually better than fine). It's disappointing that we really couldn't afford one pitching injury (which you're basically always going to have now), but your'e going to have years where you are thin.

I'm more concerned about the offense. I know recruiting is a long game in baseball, but I would have thought that in his fourth year, especially with some limited drafts, that we would not have huge holes in our lineup or fielding at this point.

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
So….

-A platoon CF transfer from UAB who has matched his production from CUSA competition last year, but done it against SEC competition this year. Really 17ing unsure how he hasn’t met your expectations.

- A couple of position players who never play

- A couple of JUCO roll of the dice pitchers who were end of the roster fill-ins due to recruiting gaps left by the previous staffs….who both also hardly ever pitch in critical situations in spite of us being thin as hell in the bullpen due to injuries.

This is downright comical. You call this the “most Lemonis team yet”, and the guys you say who aren’t getting it done is one transfer who is doing exactly what we brought him here to do, and 4 guys who don’t play. Literally not a single everyday starter, weekend rotation pitcher, midweek starter, or top bullpen guy listed anywhere.

Meanwhile look at the contributions of the young players at Tenn. Their top 5 pitchers are all Vitello recruits. I was hoping our young guys would be making big contributions like Hines

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Meanwhile look at the contributions of the young players at Tenn. Their top 5 pitchers are all Vitello recruits. I was hoping our young guys would be making big contributions like Hines

So you think we should have 3 or 4 true freshmen playing at Hines’ level? Okay. Sounds like you again have a problem with ridiculous expectations. And even if I could guarantee you that Alford and Downs each would hit, say, .280 with 6 or 7 HR’s and be respectable in the field, who’s spot are they taking in the lineup? James? Hancock? Yeager? Cumbest? Clark? No, no, no, no, and….no.

Also not sure why you are comparing us to Tennessee, who had totally different personnel circumstances when Vitello took over than what we had when Lemonis took over. But since you did, our best pitcher last year was a Lemonis recruit who is unfortunately no longer with us because he got picked in the damn 1st round. 3 of our top 5-6 guys this year are also Lemonis guys - Kohn, Auger, and Preston Johnson.

The biggest problem with this team is lack of top end talent amongst the veterans in our pitching staff. That’s a problem caused by gaps from Cannizarro. Whether its because we got burned by the draft or he didn’t commit enough solid arms in the first place, it doesn’t matter. We have two - TWO - veteran arms who were guys we signed out of the HS ranks that are playing - Cade Smith and Brandon Smith. Literally everyone else is a freshmen, a JUCO or G5 transfer, or is injured.

Because of all that, Lemonis and Foxhall have had to scramble for 3 years and sign every JUCO / transfer they could get their hands on with a functional shoulder and elbow on at least one arm. Some have developed and some haven’t. The hit rate has been plenty good enough that we would have a serviceable staff right now if not for injuries. That’s not going to be an issue going forward.

Last edited:

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
So you think we should have 3 or 4 true freshmen playing at Hines’ level? Okay. Sounds like you again have a problem with ridiculous expectations. And even if I could guarantee you that Alford and Downs each would hit, say, .280 with 6 or 7 HR’s and be respectable in the field, who’s spot are they taking in the lineup? James? Hancock? Yeager? Cumbest? Clark? No, no, no, no, and….no.

Also not sure why you are comparing us to Tennessee, who had totally different personnel circumstances when Vitello took over than what we had when Lemonis took over. But since you did, our best pitcher last year was a Lemonis recruit who is unfortunately no longer with us because he got picked in the damn 1st round. 3 of our top 5-6 guys this year are also Lemonis guys - Kohn, Auger, and Preston Johnson.

The biggest problem with this team is lack of top end talent amongst the veterans in our pitching staff. That’s a problem caused by gaps from Cannizarro. Whether its because we got burned by the draft or he didn’t commit enough solid arms in the first place, it doesn’t matter. We have two - TWO - veteran arms who were guys we signed out of the HS ranks that are playing - Cade Smith and Brandon Smith. Literally everyone else is a freshmen, a JUCO or G5 transfer, or is injured.

Because of all that, Lemonis and Foxhall have had to scramble for 3 years and sign every JUCO / transfer they could get their hands on with a functional shoulder and elbow on at least one arm. Some have developed and some haven’t. The hit rate has been plenty food enough that we would have a serviceable staff right now if not for injuries. That’s not going to be an issue going forward.

I'm done arguing about it. Next will tell us how well or how poor lemonis has recruited. I hope you're bumping this thread calling me a dummy.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
We have 8 of his recruits hitting under .250. Granted, some are limited chances. Pitching wise, I've been disappointed in many but Jack Walker and Walling were our 2 biggest signees. Walker has an ERA over 9 and Walling has a whopping total of 2 appearances. Walker only has 6 for that matter. You expect the player of the year in Louisiana to come in and be better than that.

There are actually only 5 of his guys hitting under .250 - Skinner, Corder, Alford, Downs, and Legget. 3 guys who, again, were JUCO role player fill-ins who don’t play regularly, and two true freshmen who also don’t play.

As for Walker, its unfortunate he wasn’t ready to step up as a true freshmen, but he wasn’t the first and won’t be the last. He certainly has the talent….so you can’t put that on Lemonis as some recruiting miss. We’ll see what he’s got next year. Hopefully he stays healthy and uses summer ball to work on some things. As for Walling, I don’t know anyone considering him a “top signee”….especially over Kohn and Walker. Dude barely pitched in 2 years at Oregon State, then went to a JUCO and put up pretty pedestrian numbers for that level of competition. Dude was just overhyped from the get go.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login