Change of subject - have fall enrollment numbers come out?

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Not out yet (usually in November).

Mississippi Today had a recent article about the USM Gulf Park campus enrollment dropping by over 50 percent from 2011 - 2021:
The general state of the 52-acre campus even drew condemnation from Tom Duff, a USM alumnus and the IHL board member leading the university’s ongoing presidential search. He told the audience at the listening session that when it comes to Gulf Park, USM “needs to do better.”

“I’m going to be blunt enough to tell you that one of the great travesties that we are concerned with at IHL is our lack of representation on the Mississippi Gulf Coast,” he said. “Frankly, we are embarrassed by it, and we want that corrected because this area is too important.”

I would not be surprised if the above is one of the reasons why Bennett left. If you’re not able to grow student population at a campus located at the largest population base closest to you & the IHL Trustees Prez is a Billionaire Businessman/Alum…

Last edited:

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Not out yet (usually in November).

Mississippi Today had a recent article about the USM Gulf Park campus enrollment dropping by over 50 percent from 2011 - 2021:

I would not be surprised if the above is one of the reasons why Bennett left. If you’re not able to grow student population at a campus located at the largest population base closest to you & the IHL Trustees Prez is a Billionaire Businessman/Alum…
Does USM even have residence halls at the Gulf Park campus?

Edited to add: I just read the article, and I have to question Duff's leadership based on this quote from the article:

"Duff noted that the Coast is home to NASA, the country’s largest oil refinery, multiple military bases and a booming hospitality industry – all industries that USM should be seeking to provide with college graduates."

1) NASA is not the only presence at Stennis, and they primarily serve as landlord.

2) MSU owns the engineering space in the State of Mississippi and our (MSU's) engineers end up in Houston especially if they are in petrochemicals space (don't even get me started about the dismantling of the Petroleum and Nuclear Engineering Programs at MSU)

3) Not sure how many military bases are hiring new college grads, but that seems like wee bit of a stretech.

4) Hospitality? Really? I missed the window where Biloxi became Vegas

Sounds like the Governor better appoint some folks to IHL who actually have experience in higher education instead of relying on those donating their way into positions of power at IHL. Alss, perhaps IHL should work with the MDA on an economic development plan to stop the "brain drain" in the entire state of Mississippi and start recruiting industry to the state to put those grads to work in Mississippi. Quit puffing an pontificating.

(Oh, and Goat still wants a Target in Starkville. Get busy.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Maybe USM needs to partner with MGCCC like Ole Miss did with NWCC (University of Mississippi -Desoto Center)
Not a bad idea and maybe they can do that since Gulf Park & the Gulf Coast Research Lab extends their realm in the coast much like how MSU Meridian helped State get a downtown presence in the city with the Riley Center.

I also would not be surprised if State would want to make Meridian into its own little version of what Clemson does with Greenville, SC.

The big difference between MSU & Clemson though is that Greenville is growing and Meridian’s population is decreasing.

Starkvegas Dawg

Mar 26, 2019
Maybe USM needs to partner with MGCCC like Ole Miss did with NWCC (University of Mississippi -Desoto Center)
MSU and MGCCC have a partnership for engineering degrees on the coast. MSU has faculty on the coast to teach the engineering courses. Students in this program never leave the MGCCC campus and earn their engineering degree from MSU. This agreement may prevent MGCCC from entering a partnership with any other IHL institutions.

Reactions: msstatelp1

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login