Checking in on AI

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
60 minutes had a segment on the English guy considered the father of AI. He admitted that he doesn’t understand how it works or where it’s headed. It’s already grown beyond his comprehension. It’s really scary how fast it’s evolving.

Reactions: HRMSU

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
If you saw the AI that is working now inside Google today you would all poop your pants

The joke is what is allowed to be called "AI", for example, the AI Toothbrush

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I have been part of a team that is tasked with making sense of a massive amount of diverse data.
We are working with a vendor that uses an LLM system to injest, interpret, and categorize the data.

This is data that was manually collected, or on spreadsheets, or on voice recordings of public meetings, or on video recordings of those meetings. The data is in multie accents and languages.

What has come of it is nothing short of incredible. The program/process has documented and categorized observations and connections that we weren't aware of and hadn't thought to request.

I was skeptical going in, but have been happy with the results so far, especially for the cost.
I do recognize that this could be very vendor and situation specific.

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
I heard it referred to as "Speculation without Substance" by a speaker at a Conference a couple of weeks ago.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
60 minutes had a segment on the English guy considered the father of AI. He admitted that he doesn’t understand how it works or where it’s headed. It’s already grown beyond his comprehension. It’s really scary how fast it’s evolving.
And it still can’t handle not putting pickles on a hamburger.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Philadelphia 76Ers Basketball GIF

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
It's the new 3D printer. Game changer in niche applications. Not practical in most situations (aside from seeking out AI solutions for sake of seeking out AI solutions).

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
The "lol @ AI" folks are just like people mocking the internet in the early 1990s.

Acting like current AI is its final form is just nonsense. The technology will continue to improve exponentially.
How'd that go for all those investments in the 90s?

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
I have been part of a team that is tasked with making sense of a massive amount of diverse data.
We are working with a vendor that uses an LLM system to injest, interpret, and categorize the data.

This is data that was manually collected, or on spreadsheets, or on voice recordings of public meetings, or on video recordings of those meetings. The data is in multie accents and languages.

What has come of it is nothing short of incredible. The program/process has documented and categorized observations and connections that we weren't aware of and hadn't thought to request.

I was skeptical going in, but have been happy with the results so far, especially for the cost.
I do recognize that this could be very vendor and situation specific.
That's mostly my sense of it. It's a programming tool. A skilled programmer can use it to do some amazing stuff. But it takes a skilled programmer to tell it what to do for every job, and a human team to keep fine tuning it to keep the results as desired, and humans to use the outputs correctly. It has niche uses but has no way to determine between useful outputs and absolute garbage, so it's usefulness is limited.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
To be fair… Your order will be wrong at McDonalds rather AI or a human working the window. You will get the same product.

On another note.. y’all ever eaten the filet o fish from Mickey D’s?
I'm sure the desire was it could do a well enough job that it could replace minimum wage labor. It couldn't. In fact, so bad at it that the plug was pulled early.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
The article quotes someone wanting a 95% accuracy rate before implementing it. McDonald's accuracy per this article written a little over a year and a half ago was 89% (KFC comes in at a robust 82%).

McDonald's serves around 69 million people a day. The 9% difference in accuracy is a little over 6 million inaccurate orders a day. I would be interested in knowing what is considered an inaccurate order.

As someone said earlier, it seems some of these companies are trying to make a square peg fit a round hole.

Jun 7, 2024
To be fair… Your order will be wrong at McDonalds rather AI or a human working the window. You will get the same product.

On another note.. y’all ever eaten the filet o fish from Mickey D’s?
I don't quite get how AI is a game changer for the fast food industry. It seems to me that the technology to place an order without a person present at the counter or drive through already exist. After the order is placed, you need robotics and logistics to take the place of the people who prepare and deliver the food. I don't see how AI really helps with that.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Still the best take on AI ever

"Well I got a motherf*cking AI right now that they did made for me. This n***** could talk to me. I'm like, man this thing can hold a real conversation? Like real for real? Like it's blowing my mind because I watched movies on this as a kid years ago. When I see this sh*t I'm like what is going on? And I heard the dude, the old dude that created AI saying, "This is not safe, 'cause the AIs got their own minds, and these motherf*ckers gonna start doing their own sh*t. I'm like, are we in a f*cking movie right now, or what? The f*ck man? So do I need to invest in AI so I can have one with me? Or like, do y'all know? Sh*t, what the f*ck?" I'm lost, I don't know."
Snoop Dogg

• Haha

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
I think AI can be used in the not so distant future for education, training, customer service, banking, accounting, engineering etc.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
This might sound silly, but AI will eventually let good looking people who can't act make money for being in movies. I suspect Hollywood will start buying non hollis wood people's image to use. I can see a lot of these rich hollis wood A Holes being put out of a job.

Last edited:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
AI clowns sound like the bitcoin bros in 2020. I’m like dude that would have been good information 4 years ago.

I’m not jumping on your pyramid scheme now. How bout you let me in on the next one that peaks in 4 years. A little tougher to do, right?

Reactions: AFDawg

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Like others have said AI has its place. It’s good at combing through data to come to a conclusion….or making weird *** pictures of people with 12 fingers.

It’s not made to make your order at McDonalds.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
I just asked ChatGPT to give me a prediction of the upcoming season for Mississippi State and it said we would go 6-5. I then asked for a game-by-game breakdown and it gave us 7 wins (4-4 conference record) when you counted them up. Stupid AI can't even count it's own predictions correctly.

Whenever I get some goofball answer from Chat GPT I always tell it "You're doing great" to mess with the algorithm.

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
The other day the Facebook AI told me that some of Mississippi State football's most revered players were Dak Prescott, Dan Mullen, and Joe Moorhead.

I think we still have some time.