Cheers to Charlie W

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Just got this email, and the below statement really is an awesome achievement. Awesome job, Charlie

Also, now that we’re seeing what is possible when you have an AD with vision, it really makes me even more irritated with Cohen. His stance on NIL put us years behind

This past Thursday, Mississippi State Athletic Director Zac Selmon announced that The Bulldog Initiative will now serve as the Official Collective of Mississippi State Athletics. This new designation, which was made possible by Zac's leadership and the support of Learfield / Bulldog Sports Properties, helps pave the way for an even more productive relationship between The Bulldog Initiative and MSU.

The reaction to Zac's announcement has been overwhelmingly positive. In fact, The Bulldog Initiative has received over $1.3 million in new gifts and pledges in the past five days alone - and our work to capitalize on this strengthened relationship with MSU is only just beginning.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I'd genuinely like to know why this didn't happen under Cohen. Was he the roadblock? Someone else? Did it just take this long to work through all the legalities and such, and this would have been announced at the same time if Cohen had stayed?

Regardless, it is nice to see. I mean, how not surprising is it that if you tie a private fundraising entity, that people may be somewhat tentative about giving to, formally to the university via any means, you get more money? I suspect the trust factor for the Bulldog Initiative just got a major boost. Not saying that it should have needed it, but this whole NIL thing has been operating somewhat wild west style, so I'm sure the formality of this designation brings some assurance to folks who might not otherwise have given.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I have been hesitant to give. I just didn't trust giving money. Not saying it was a fraud, but people do get greedy and make mistakes. This will give more credibility.

Reactions: mcdawg22

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
I would rather hire a player directly for advertising purposes, not giving blindly to a collective.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I'd genuinely like to know why this didn't happen under Cohen. Was he the roadblock? Someone else? Did it just take this long to work through all the legalities and such, and this would have been announced at the same time if Cohen had stayed?
I don't think it's that Cohen is incompetent, but fundraising and that sort of thing just wasn't his strong suit. I think he wanted to stay more on the conservative side of being 'legal', as well. In the beginning, it wasn't really kosher for the school to be alongside the collectives.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I would rather hire a player directly for advertising purposes, not giving blindly to a collective.
Well, that's the original purpose of NIL. The collectives were an unintended consequence, but also show that the demand is there and that maybe the football players really should be paid (at least a little, across the board).

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016

Regardless, it is nice to see. I mean, how not surprising is it that if you tie a private fundraising entity, that people may be somewhat tentative about giving to, formally to the university via any means, you get more money? I suspect the trust factor for the Bulldog Initiative just got a major boost. Not saying that it should have needed it, but this whole NIL thing has been operating somewhat wild west style, so I'm sure the formality of this designation brings some assurance to folks who might not otherwise have given.
I may be wrong, but I think that when Cohen was here it was against NCAA rules for the University to be directly involved with a NIL Collective. The rules on this stuff are still evolving.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I may be wrong, but I think that when Cohen was here it was against NCAA rules for the University to be directly involved with a NIL Collective. The rules on this stuff are still evolving.
I certainly have no knowledge, but it seems impossible that any AD wouldn't take advantage of everything legally at his disposal to advance the program.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I don't think it's that Cohen is incompetent, but fundraising and that sort of thing just wasn't his strong suit. I think he wanted to stay more on the conservative side of being 'legal', as well. In the beginning, it wasn't really kosher for the school to be alongside the collectives.
Right he wasn't the business guy we needed in that job. These departments are multi million dollar businesses. Some like bama are in the billions. It's not high school or juco. Coaches have no business being division 1 ADs these days.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I have been hesitant to give. I just didn't trust giving money. Not saying it was a fraud, but people do get greedy and make mistakes. This will give more credibility.
I generally feel the same, but I feel good about who is involved in the Bulldog Initiative. Not only do I believe they are motivated by wanting to support State and our athletes, but I don't see them doing some of the stupid stuff you see around the country in terms of overpaying unproven prima donnas.

chuckster.sixpack

Mar 26, 2015

Probably had something to do with trying to figure out what the rules are.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I can completely understand this. I think at one point there were 3? One of which was a national company that was trying to start them up for multiple teams and had a pretty large cut going to them for “expenses”.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I certainly have no knowledge, but it seems impossible that any AD wouldn't take advantage of everything legally at his disposal to advance the program.
You’re correct, but it would’ve also been entirely possible for an AD to embrace the new reality of NIL without being directly involved. Cohen decided to take the polar opposite approach by continuously bashing it while here and then continuing to do so on his way out the door. While other school ADs were finding ways to work around it, we didn’t even get started until a full time lawyer(no offense, Charlie) decided to take it upon himself to get something going in his spare time

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
You’re correct, but it would’ve also been entirely possible for an AD to embrace the new reality of NIL without being directly involved. Cohen decided to take the polar opposite approach by continuously bashing it while here and then continuing to do so on his way out the door. While other school ADs were finding ways to work around it, we didn’t even get started until a full time lawyer(no offense, Charlie) decided to take it upon himself to get something going in his spare time
I'm entirely too ignorant on any specifics to contribute much on this. Just glad we seem to have made forward progress.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
All Cohen did was run around screaming “this is unsustainable” over and over again

Correct. There were more NIL restrictions a year ago but Cohen didn’t help things by bad mouthing NIL every chance he got. Also, our first attempt at a collective was a baseball first initiative spearheaded by one of Cohen’s right hand guys that went with him to Auburn.

In other words, Cohen hated NIL, unless it was for the baseball team.

Reactions: Fishsqeezer

Theconnormead

Jan 26, 2023
Understand the hesitation. If Charlie is involved it will be done right, and I can almost guarantee he is doing this with zero financial benefit to himself.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014
Then do it and stop talking about it.
Barack Obama Mic Drop GIF

patdog

May 28, 2007
There are ways to “encourage” an NIL collective without being “directly involved.”

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login