Chip Kelly leaves UCLA to be OC at Ohio St…

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
Has a conference ever had a coach leave one school as the HC to take a coordinator job at another conference opponent?

patdog

May 28, 2007
May be a good move for him. He barely saved his job with the win over USC & UCLA is going to really struggle in the Big 10.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
this is more of a sign of how pathetic OSU is reacting to the mich win. they are abusing the lack of rules beyond comprehension. this is the same reaction as a balding small penis guy who owns amazon

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
UCLA is not that good of a job, will be interesting to see who they get.

Reactions: eckie1

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
this is more of a sign of how pathetic OSU is reacting to the mich win. they are abusing the lack of rules beyond comprehension. this is the same reaction as a balding small penis guy who owns amazon
Probably so but I don't think the new coach at Michigan is going to be a Harbaugh.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Before Lebby was hired, it had been mentioned that Chip Kelly was on the hot seat at UCLA and was on his way to getting fired. I pondered aloud on here whether Chip Kelly would take the HC job at State if he was offered and the consensus on here was that he wouldn't take it.

Which... I guess brings me to my next question... is the OC job at Ohio State better than the HC job at Mississippi State?

Reactions: patdog

StumpNewGround

Dec 9, 2022
Before Lebby was hired, it had been mentioned that Chip Kelly was on the hot seat at UCLA and was on his way to getting fired. I pondered aloud on here whether Chip Kelly would take the HC job at State if he was offered and the consensus on here was that he wouldn't take it.

Which... I guess brings me to my next question... is the OC job at Ohio State better than the HC job at Mississippi State?
If your goal is to leave osu for a head job at a powerhouse, yes, yes it is.

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022

Depends really. Being an OC making $2m a year with elite talent and basically guaranteed double digits wins sounds pretty nice. A lot less headaches than you have as our HC.

Reactions: Anon1697564126

patdog

May 28, 2007
UCLA is not that good of a job, will be interesting to see who they get.
It's a terrible job. The stadium is an hour away from campus and the students and fans don't care about UCLA football.

Well, the OC job at Ohio State is not as good as the job at Boston College.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

I am sure I am mississing something here, but I don't think of Grohl as someone who has hopped around.
In the last 35 years he was the drummer for Nirvana for 4ish years and would have continued if Cobain didn't die), been in Foo Fighters for 30 of the years, and was part of Queens of the Stoneage for a year or two(fuzzy as this was my college years).

That isn't looking anything up. I think of him really in just 2 bands and can accept 3.
Is he well known by others as being in bands every other year?

patdog

May 28, 2007
I am sure I am mississing something here, but I don't think of Grohl as someone who has hopped around.
In the last 35 years he was the drummer for Nirvana for 4ish years and would have continued if Cobain didn't die), been in Foo Fighters for 30 of the years, and was part of Queens of the Stoneage for a year or two(fuzzy as this was my college years).

That isn't looking anything up. I think of him really in just 2 bands and can accept 3.
Is he well known by others as being in bands every other year?
He’s been in Them Crooked Vultures and the Eagles of Death Metal too. But really those are just side projects & not full time bands. QOTSA is a full time band, but don’t think Grohl was ever considered a full time member. He just played on an album or two & maybe a tour during down time for Foo Fighters. I agree, the Tweet doesn’t make sense.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I really think this is where coaching is heading. They do not give a head coach time to setup a system anymore. I think in pro and college it's going to become a 3 headed monster. Hire a HC that is more of an overall leader/CEO type and then get the best OC and DC and pay them all the same.

We all know there are guys that are great coordinators but not really good head coach material. The main reason some of these guys go HC is to make more money. If they can make that paycheck as a coordinator, they might just stay at that level. Then there are guys that are great CEO types. They will be there to make the game plan cohesive.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Why ponder something that would never happen?

When Florida was top dog in the county, their OC left to come to State, so that's probably your answer.

More upside at State than UCLA, especially with UCLA moving to the Big 10.

Chip Kelly is not your normal HC/OC. He came within a whisker of winning a natty at Oregon and had other top 5 finishes. He coached in the NFL for 4 years. He's done everything but win a natty and that won't happen at UCLA especially since they will compete in the Big 10 in 2024. So why not take some pressure off himself and still get to do what he loves?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
UCLA just does not have good football culture. Stadium situation reminds me of what Miami has become, and we see their lack of success since that happened.

Maybe they just need to do the basketball and non-revenue thing, and let the B1G help fund it. But they haven't really won much in basketball either, compared to their standards.

Reactions: patdog
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login