Chip Kelly shows you have to give a system coach time…..

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Especially when you’re at a have-not school (or do not care about football like UCLA).

Hot-taking mouth-breathers said the same things about him that they say about Leach. But now he’s rolling. 3-9, 4-8, a near .500 COVID season, 8-4, now the peak year. I’d be willing to bet he keeps it rolling too.

I’m not saying I like the Air Raid for us, but it’s the system we chose, and we are 3 years in, may as well keep the train going. No sense in being a detractor. I want to see if this passing experience works for good and all. JMHO

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Ryan Reynolds What GIF by ABC Network

Reactions: chuckster.sixpack

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Since when has UCLA not cared about football. Weren't you just arguing that Napier was done and bad in his first year but then go off about a system coach needing time?

Kelly benefits from an incredibly weak conference. Riley is pretty much his only competitor now.

we will see how he does in the big 10 soon.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Drinkwitz at Mizzou comes to mind. Many thought he was a poor hire. IMO, he appears to be a slow builder, but once he gets it built and built right, it will be pretty dang stout. Where it would take him 4-6 years so show real improvement, most fan bases get anxious if improvement is not shown within 3 years. If Mizzou's fan base can hang in there a couple to 3 more years, I think he has them in the top 25 regularly.

Reactions: Ibdancin

NotCadaver

Oct 17, 2022
At the half, UCLA has 160 yards passing and 150 yards rushing. They run tempo, are balanced, play in a weak conference, and Chip Kelly has won at a higher level than Leach when it comes to resume.

I see where you're going, but Chip has more than 4 plays in his offensive playbook, so I can see him adapting and adjusting a little more over time.

If Leach can't break 7 wins with the defense he has now, I don't see some magical run to the SEC Championship game in his future here. But who knows.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Especially when you’re at a have-not school (or do not care about football like UCLA).

Hot-taking mouth-breathers said the same things about him that they say about Leach. But now he’s rolling. 3-9, 4-8, a near .500 COVID season, 8-4, now the peak year. I’d be willing to bet he keeps it rolling too.

I’m not saying I like the Air Raid for us, but it’s the system we chose, and we are 3 years in, may as well keep the train going. No sense in being a detractor. I want to see if this passing experience works for good and all. JMHO

STFU

Anon1664516582

Sep 30, 2022
It’s not a done deal that UCLA is going through to the big 10 yet. Their President accepted without the California regents ok’ing it and it’s a political hot 🥙 potato.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008

There is no need to implement a system in todays game. Especially one as basic as Leachs. Run tempo, RPOs, misdirection, qb run threat and you can be good. Leach doesnt do any of that. That’s his biggest issue

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Since when has UCLA not cared about football. Weren't you just arguing that Napier was done and bad in his first year but then go off about a system coach needing time?

Kelly benefits from an incredibly weak conference. Riley is pretty much his only competitor now.

we will see how he does in the big 10 soon.
UF will not give Napier time! And it's why UF is now a door mat for even UK.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Drinkwitz at Mizzou comes to mind. Many thought he was a poor hire. IMO, he appears to be a slow builder, but once he gets it built and built right, it will be pretty dang stout. Where it would take him 4-6 years so show real improvement, most fan bases get anxious if improvement is not shown within 3 years. If Mizzou's fan base can hang in there a couple to 3 more years, I think he has them in the top 25 regularly.
Just like Stoops and Clawson and ... all of history

Reactions: drumrcraig

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
At the half, UCLA has 160 yards passing and 150 yards rushing. They run tempo, are balanced, play in a weak conference, and Chip Kelly has won at a higher level than Leach when it comes to resume.

I see where you're going, but Chip has more than 4 plays in his offensive playbook, so I can see him adapting and adjusting a little more over time.

If Leach can't break 7 wins with the defense he has now, I don't see some magical run to the SEC Championship game in his future here. But who knows.

nothing about this is right nor comparable. Our defense are not world beaters either. Again, we are becoming the fan base that thinks the next coach is the best thing and the next coach should be hired within 2 years.

Reactions: drumrcraig

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
There is no need to implement a system in todays game. Especially one as basic as Leachs. Run tempo, RPOs, misdirection, qb run threat and you can be good. Leach doesnt do any of that. That’s his biggest issue
Yeah, and we are good without it and early in a building process.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Meh.... here is the deal. The system is installed. Like any year at MSU, we lack offensive talent.

ask yourself, why this offense hums vs Memphis and etc and not LSU and Bama? We need better athletes at QB, OL and WR.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Meh.... here is the deal. The system is installed. Like any year at MSU, we lack offensive talent.

ask yourself, why this offense hums vs Memphis and etc and not LSU and Bama? We need better athletes at QB, OL and WR.
Yep. We are winning at a little higher rate than we normally have, but beating more ranked teams. In the meantime, we have a lot of young talent that will be hitting the field soon!

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010

Has our offensive talent steadily gotten better, remained the same, gotten worse or been sporadic during Leach’s time here? If you’re being honest, you have to admit it is steadily improving. So do you think the team will continue to improve?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login