Chris Low's 64 Team Playoff

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Chris Low put together rounds 1 & 2 of what a 64 team playoff would look like. Kind of fun to think about.
State's a 6 seed that beats 11 seed Michigan State in the first round and loses in the second round to 3 seed Washington.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Fun experiment, but it bums me there's such a huge gap between the top few teams and everyone else. Not sure that's happening in college basketball which helps make March Madness fun. Until the talent is ending up on some different rosters, we could have 4 team - or 64 team Playoff - it's going to be many of the same faces year after year. It ironically strengthens the case for a BCS style championship.

Reactions: Dawgg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Chris Low put together rounds 1 & 2 of what a 64 team playoff would look like. Kind of fun to think about.
State's a 6 seed that beats 11 seed Michigan State in the first round and loses in the second round to 3 seed Washington.

64 is way too many for football. You're just looking at needing 10-20% like all the other divisions/sports. That's between 12 and 24 for football. Anymore than that is wasting time.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Fun experiment, but it bums me there's such a huge gap between the top few teams and everyone else. Not sure that's happening in college basketball which helps make March Madness fun. Until the talent is ending up on some different rosters, we could have 4 team - or 64 team Playoff - it's going to be many of the same faces year after year. It ironically strengthens the case for a BCS style championship.
I think we will all look back one day and admit that 1998-2013 was probably the best era of college football. You got to award a championship, but at the same time multiple teams each year still had a claim of being 'elite' or whatever. Bowl games mattered because you weren't vying for being 'playoff team', there were very few opt-outs. The money was big but not too big.

I think we can make the claim that Alabama and Saban were the catalyst for the ruination of it all. From salary to the debacle of the 2011 BCS. That's what did it in. I don't care what people say about the 'best' teams, if we had seen LSU vs. Oklahoma State in 2011, the 4-team playoff might have never happened. The 'best' teams aren't the ones who always play for championships, it's the ones who win on the field.

It's been downhill ever since then. And the only way to have a chance to bring it back is to sell hope, and that's what an expanded playoff does.

Reactions: 57stratdawg

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
What a Worthless Pile of Schit Idea that Would Destroy the Beauty, Tradition and Mystic that created the Greatest Regular Season in All of Sports. Sorry Mike Leach I agree with you most times but not on this one.

Last edited:

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Yeah... If you look, even in his imaginary playoff, his 'Sweet 16' is still filled up primarily with the same names we've seen for the past 15-20 years.

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
Let’s see what happens when a 9-3 or 9-4 12th seed runs the table in the playoffs eliminating 2 undefeated and a once beaten along the way.

The Sports Media that loves the same Top teams always winning will have hissy fits!! And demand a change to the format.

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
Saban ought to be 100% for an expanded playoff. Bama is never ever ever going to miss being included if that happens. They automatically get ranked in the top 4 to start the year. Win a couple and they make it to #1 or 2. If they lose, they never drop below 5. Even last year they lost twice< and people were still saying they should have been in over KState and OSU. They could lose 3 times and still be ranked Top 10. It'll take an 8-4 season to keep them out.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login