Christmas Gift Ideas

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
I have no idea what to tell my wife to get me. I don't want or need anything. I coach, fish, like working outside and doing building projects, love cooking. I'm sure a lot of you go through this every year. What are some ideas to send her? I really can't think of one thing this year and she's been asking since October. I'm also not a boomer.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Best thing we (wife & I) have done is quit exchanging gifts. Go buy yourself something when you want/need it. It made ZERO sense to me to tell her what I wanted, and then her have to go get it and "surprise" me with it. It usually ended up being the wrong thing anyway, she would get the wrong color, model, series, size, or whatever so its easier for me to just get it myself. Same went for me trying to get whatever she wanted.

Dawgzilla

Mar 3, 2008
I have no idea what to tell my wife to get me. I don't want or need anything. I coach, fish, like working outside and doing building projects, love cooking. I'm sure a lot of you go through this every year. What are some ideas to send her? I really can't think of one thing this year and she's been asking since October. I'm also not a boomer.

Unpopular opinion, but it should be on her. I Christmas shop all year long for the people I love. I listen to them, observe the kind of things they are shopping for, and learn what makes them happy. Then when I see a good gift, I buy it. My shopping was nearly complete back in September.

None of that helps you this year though. I am difficult to shop for, because I am very picky and when I want something I buy it. So my wife was always challenged with finding some accessory that I would not buy for myself, and she was very good at that. Watches, shoes, clothing, rare albums, old photographs enhanced and creatively displayed, jelly of the month club.

If all else fails, she can just ask, "Alexa, give me some gift ideas."

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
Best thing we (wife & I) have done is quit exchanging gifts. Go buy yourself something when you want/need it. It made ZERO sense to me to tell her what I wanted, and then her have to go get it and "surprise" me with it. It usually ended up being the wrong thing anyway, she would get the wrong color, model, series, size, or whatever so its easier for me to just get it myself. Same went for me trying to get whatever she wanted.

This is what my parents have done for decades and what my wife and I do now. My wife was hesitant about the idea at first because she comes from one of those families that views gift giving as an art form but after the first year of doing it my family's way, she was hooked. It's so much easier and ensures that everyone gets what they want.

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
I generally hate getting "stuff" for Christmas, because it just means I have to find a place to store it, never use it, and eventually donate it. But we share some interests, so a few ideas on some small things.

I have a few high quality items that I use all the time that I put on my Christmas list over the years.

1. A Japanese mandolin. These are small, easy to store, easy to clean, sharp as ****, and relatively inexpensive. I can have the mandolin out, perfectly sliced cukes, onions, potatoes, etc. washed and back in storage in less time that it takes me to put an edge on my chef's knife and do the same thing. The Benriner brand are great, easily found on Amazon. Might want to get yourself a kevlar glove if you go that way

2. These little guys right here are great if you make a lot of cocktails, and are useful in general in the kitchen. Excellent stocking stuffers.

Triangle Germany V-Shape Channel Knife
Triangle Germany Fruit and Vegetable Corer
Linden Sweden Fruit and Vegetable Peeler
Westmark Germany Hermetus Steel 3-in-1 Resealer Beer Bottle Opener

3. I have these all over the house and shop. Magnet makes them easy to store, and for a small tape they are easy to read
Dewalt 9ft. Magnetic Pocket Tape Measure, Black and Yellow, 3 Pack

3. Alcohol.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I can't recommend it enough if you like steak, which I know you do. It's fun, fast, and delicious. The overfired broiler.

View attachment 23154

View attachment 23155

View attachment 23156

View attachment 23157

Steakhouse quality at home. Not going to be your everyday grill or for big parties, but cooking a couple of steaks on it takes no time and the maillard reaction is so awesome. My wife hated bloody steaks so always ordered hers medium to medium well. Will at this high heat, you can cook upper rare to medium rare and not have it look like a crime scene.

Here's a previous post (about halfway through the thread with a video imbedded) with more info. Watch the video if you are really interested.

https://forums.sixpackspeak.com/showthread.php?233441-OT-A5-Wagyu-beef

Last edited:

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
I can't recommend it enough if you like steak, which I know you do. It's fun, fast, and delicious. The overfired broiler.

View attachment 23154

View attachment 23155

View attachment 23156

View attachment 23157

Steakhouse quality at home. Not going to be your everyday grill or for big parties, but cooking a couple of steaks on it takes no time and the maillard reaction is so awesome. My wife hated bloody steaks so always ordered hers medium to medium well. Will at this high heat, you can cook upper rare to medium rare and not have it look like a crime scene.

Here's a previous post (about halfway through the thread with a video imbedded) with more info. Watch the video if you are really interested.

https://forums.sixpackspeak.com/showthread.php?233441-OT-A5-Wagyu-beef

No way! That cuts into your drinking time. No self respecting grill chef wants their food in and out in 3 minutes!

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I actually just reread my old post... I type BBQ a lot on my phone. The fact that it autocorrected to this on me, well I guess I have a problem.

"Here's an episode of How to BBW right with Malcolm Reed and the Beefer guy showing you how it's done."

That would be one hell of a different episode for Malcolm.*

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020

We do the same. This year we have already purchased our Christmas gift and installed it. We got a near zero EMF Sauna! We've been enjoying it.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I actually just reread my old post... I type BBQ a lot on my phone. The fact that it autocorrected to this on me, well I guess I have a problem.

"Here's an episode of How to BBW right with Malcolm Reed and the Beefer guy showing you how it's done."

That would be one hell of a different episode for Malcolm.*

Ain't never seen one episode of Intervention bout anybody being addicted to Big Beautiful Women

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Firearms are always the correct answer. Start a collection, it doesn't have to be anything expensive. I collect low serial number ruger 22 automatic pistols but my wife knows I like 22 pistols so I usually get one for Christmas or birthday.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
- Some pants or a shirt you want but just havent bought for whatever reason.
- A tool that you want for outside that again, you just havent bought.
- A weekend trip to somewhere.
- A concert.
- Dinner and movie.

My better half and I rarely exchange gifts. Its more of a 'from the kids and me to you' sort of setup. I see myself as easy as hell to buy for since I buy almost nothing that I have open browser tabs for, but that info needs to get over to the one buying the gift.
I have almost fully weaned my extended family from buying gifts for all the adults. Its 17ing brutal and not necessary. We show everyone we love each other by seeing each other multiple times a week and helping raise each other's kids- gifts just arent needed.
For the kids, pre-covid we began doing an event/trip for all the kids in the extended family. One year it was a weekend at an indoor waterpark, one year it was a day at the climbing wall, etc. That was awesome. Experiences are way better than toys.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016

Our first Christmas together, I looked my wife dead in the eye and suggested to her, in the friendliest way possible, that we not buy each other gifts . . . ever . . . not for birthdays, holidays or anything else.

I told her if she wants something for herself, then just go ahead and buy it (within reason, of course). She immediately agreed.

As a result, I have not wasted one second of my life trying to decide what to buy my wife, where to buy it, when to buy it, how much it costs, how to wrap it, when to give it to her . . . ever.

This was one of the best moves I've made in my lifetime.

turkish

Aug 22, 2012
Apparently a lot of you guys have wives that get Christmas presents from other men. That’s the only logical reason they’d be OK not getting them from their husband.

Last edited:

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I sorta have the same understanding in my house. Kids get gifts. The grown ups get what they want, when they want it.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Always ask for outdoor cooking equipment fishing gear or sports related shirts/hoodies/ etc of your teams

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Nikon Z9 and FTZ adapter with the Nikkor 400mm f/2.8E FL ED VR lens.

Tell her it’s your forever ticket to MSU football.
<body id="cke_pastebin" style="position: absolute; top: 0px; width: 1px; height: 1px; overflow: hidden; left: -1000px;">[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.9)][FONT=&quot]Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 600mm f/4E FL ED VR Lens [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.9)][FONT=&quot]Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 600mm f/4E FL ED VR Lens[/FONT][/COLOR]</body>

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login