Clarion rag really barking up mississippi having 318 more students than MSU....

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Unsurprising.

I'd go into more detail but 615 is the expert here and I won't steal his thunder.

MStateDawg

Aug 3, 2021
Total Student Enrollment, Fall 2021 and Fall 2022

InstitutionFall 2021Fall 2022Number
Change
Percent
Change
System Total76,51075,755-755-1.0%
Alcorn State University3,0742,933-141-4.6%
Delta State University2,7272,556-171-6.3%
Jackson State University7,0806,906-174-2.5%
Mississippi State University23,08622,649-437-1.9%
Mississippi University for Women2,4772,339-138-5.6%
Mississippi Valley State University2,0641,879-185-9.0%
University of Mississippi21,85622,9671,1115.1%
-- University of Mississippi18,80019,8691,0695.7%
-- University of Mississippi Medical Center3,0563,098421.4%
University of Southern Mississippi14,14613,526-620-4.4%

LOTRGOTDAWGFAN

May 23, 2022
Each college provided the results shown below. The fall 2020 preliminary enrollment numbers are in (parentheses).

• Coahoma Community College - 1,499 (1,615)
  • Copiah-Lincoln Community College - 2,913 (2,950)
  • East Central Community College - 2,252 (2,427)
  • East Mississippi Community College - 3,532 (3,481)
  • Hinds Community College - 10,088 (10,639)
  • Holmes Community College - 4,942 (5,446)
  • Itawamba Community College - 4,641 (5,035)
  • Jones College - 4,592 (4,887)
  • Meridian Community College - 2,558 (2,900)
  • Mississippi Delta Community College - 2,128 (2,011)
  • Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College - 8,478 (8,800)
  • Northeast Mississippi Community College - 3,284 (3,243)
  • Northwest Mississippi Community College - 6,521 (6,962)
  • Pearl River Community College - 5,082 (5,298)
  • Southwest Mississippi Community College - 1,643 (1,888)

2021 Total - 64,153

2020 Total - 67,582

Clay Lyle

Sep 30, 2022
Delta State is down 33% since before the pandemic. Really wish the IHL would make it a campus of Mississippi State to save it. Would be huge for Cleveland.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Unsurprising.

I'd go into more detail but 615 is the expert here and I won't steal his thunder.
Id like someone to offer an opinion. Mine is that OM has turned its focus back to MS students and that they have more money with auto scholarships at higher levels- that part is public bc I’ve compared the two online. I know someone from enrollment reads the board if they want to correct me.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Am I reading this right? Is Hinds on a trajectory to catch up with Southern Miss?

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Id like someone to offer an opinion. Mine is that OM has turned its focus back to MS students and that they have more money with auto scholarships at higher levels- that part is public bc I’ve compared the two online. I know someone from enrollment reads the board if they want to correct me.

TLDR - State needs to be relentless.

My two cents: the longer version.

I don't know if OM has turned its focus back to in-state students so much as it is they are recruiting across the board. I suspect it's the latter given demographics.

More scholarship money plays a role.

I know several State alums with children attending Ole Miss and several of them have said that financial help is a factor.

I want to see what out of state enrollment looks like for Ole Miss & State and it doesn't look like that data is on the IHL site yet.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Delta State is down 33% since before the pandemic. Really wish the IHL would make it a campus of Mississippi State to save it. Would be huge for Cleveland.
IHL needs to realize this is a bigger problem than they currently perceive. Higher education is getting crushed across the country and its time for some closures.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
MUW is looking into changing its name because that's negatively affecting enrollment numbers there.

They looked into it most recently in '09 & got severe opposition from alums then.

Link to WLBT story last month: Here.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Some similar programs that compete. Not sure some of the delta folks would be on board if msu got the lead on it

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
I’d like to see comparison numbers on how many subscribers they lose annually to the sewers of Twitter and facebook

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
I don't know if OM has turned its focus back to in-state students so much as it is they are recruiting across the board. I suspect it's the latter given demographics
If I'm a university executive, I'm recruiting out-of-state propsectives like crazy and getting the premium tuition and *not* worrying about in-state because the marginal return is less for in-state students. This runs counterintuitive to the "let's have affordable education for 'lil Bubba and 'lil Susie" in Mississippi. Know that every university president looks at a student and sees a dollar number on that forehead (if they are paying attention).

Lets face it: The burn rate and captial to mainatin and sustain a university's infrastructure is going up. Unfortunately, the Mississippi legislature is not taking the steps to rectify the problem by either a) more funds for the universitites to operate; b) have closures; c) both a) and b).

There are economic development aspects to this that add to the challenges, but I'll leave that for those who are working on that Target for Starkville.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
IHL needs to realize this is a bigger problem than they currently perceive. Higher education is getting crushed across the country and its time for some closures.

The war on intelligence and education is real.
And the cost is tough to justify compared to earnings for the first 10 decade after HS from 18 thru 27.

The gap quickly closes and those with college degrees then exponentially outpace those without, but it seems like many can't see 10 months ahead, much less 10 years.

In fairness, with how often people will change careers, it cod make sense for some to work and then go to college 10 years after HS once they know what they want to do.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
MUW is looking into changing its name because that's negatively affecting enrollment numbers there.

They looked into it most recently in '09 & got severe opposition from alums then.

They also have started a degree program in sandwich making. Nice new culinary arts facility.
That should draw the ladies.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022

You will not believe the number of alumni that still want to keep the name, University of women.

I don't get it. Being a finishing school died in the 70s. It's been coed for 35 years. They have mens sports.... It isn't the same school as 1972.

It needs to become MSU at Columbus and give us a nursing school.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
For the poorest state in the union, we have way too many 4 year colleges and JCs. And most of those compete in too many sports.

Last edited:
Reactions: WilCoDawg

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016

MUW needs to be integrated completely into MSU. You could run a shuttle service between the campuses.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
If I'm a university executive, I'm recruiting out-of-state propsectives like crazy and getting the premium tuition and *not* worrying about in-state because the marginal return is less for in-state students. This runs counterintuitive to the "let's have affordable education for 'lil Bubba and 'lil Susie" in Mississippi. Know that every university president looks at a student and sees a dollar number on that forehead (if they are paying attention).

Lets face it: The burn rate and captial to mainatin and sustain a university's infrastructure is going up. Unfortunately, the Mississippi legislature is not taking the steps to rectify the problem by either a) more funds for the universitites to operate; b) have closures; c) both a) and b).

There are economic development aspects to this that add to the challenges, but I'll leave that for those who are working on that Target for Starkville.
That is NOT MSU's mission and NEVER should be. We are the People's University in Mississippi.

Clay Lyle

Sep 30, 2022
Some similar programs that compete. Not sure some of the delta folks would be on board if msu got the lead on it
The aviation and nursing programs would be great additions for State. Could also move all the ag faculty offices in Stoneville to Cleveland. I hope State or Ole Miss gets Delta State versus combining it with Valley. I feel like that is a real threat.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
That is NOT MSU's mission and NEVER should be. We are the People's University in Mississippi.

Actually he’s closer regarding MSU’s Mission than you are.

@Mr. Cook and I have chatted about State’s cluttered & unwieldy mission and vision statements in the not-too-distant past on this board.

From the President’s site (first of five paragraphs under Mission):
Mississippi State University is a public research, land-grant university with a mission to provide access and opportunity to all sectors of Mississippi’s diverse population, as well as other states and countries, and to offer excellent programs of teaching, research, and service.

…access and opportunity… as well as other states.

Yeah, we’ll give you access and opportunity — thanks to Ayers— but we’re also going to grant that to folks from other states and countries too since our prospective student population is dropping throughout the state of Mississippi and we’re not allowed to be selective and truly shine.

Mississippi State hasn’t been The People’s University in ages. That’s been a nice catchphrase that’s lasted though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drebin and Mr. Cook

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
@L4Dawg – This Mississippi Today article came up in my Facebook memories. It was published exactly one year ago.

Keenum would disagree with you too.

Link.

Reactions: Mr. Cook

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
In public relations theory, sure MSU is the "People's University" -- great tagline, great marketing campaign schtick.

My point is that there are inescapable fiscal realities in higher education that @mstateglfr touched on, and @Maroon Eagle just showed Keenum's stance.

I believe in the land grant mission and MSU, but all I'm saying is IF *I* am the one who had to call the shots, I'm doing what I can as "CEO" of my university to be a good steward of its fiscal condition so the doors stay open for the "People" for the long haul. Pollyanna-ish behavior is great -- only when you have a bottomless cash reserve.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Ayers did a huge disservice to the Universities and the students.
I would love the settlement to be revisited-- especially when it comes to scores required for admission to the IHLs.

Why keep those low at all IHLs when students with those scores could be better served by Mississippi's jucos?

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Ayers did a huge disservice to the Universities and the students.

Why not blame the IHL for allowing a dual system to exist that forced the Ayers case to be brought to courts in the first place?

ETA- The actual settlement is confusing to me. It didn't seem to hold anyone accountable for at least a couple of funding issues. And from what I've read, it hasn't paid out even 1/50th of what was promised, due to creative number juggling.
It does seem like the larger universities have had one hand tied as a result too.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
@L4Dawg – This Mississippi Today article came up in my Facebook memories. It was published exactly one year ago.

Keenum would disagree with you too.

Link.
We have historically always been the People's University. People who aren't of the elite also make above 17 on the ACT. I'm not arguing that we shouldn't do the stuff y'all are talking about, but we better not forget our primary mission is to educate the people of Mississippi. We will never be MIT or Georgia Tech, but we can and do give the people of this state a solid education in fields that are more needed and more relevant now than they ever have been.

Last edited:

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
We have historically always been the People's University.
Good boilerplate slogan applied to many if not all land grant universities.

Not the mission of Mississippi State University.

And also not the missions of fellow Land Grant institutions.

Tell me where you see People’s University in the below mission statements.

Auburn:
As a land-grant institution, Auburn University is dedicated to improving the lives of the people of Alabama, the nation, and the world through forward-thinking education, life-enhancing research and scholarship, and selfless service.

Texas A&M:

Texas A&M University is dedicated to the discovery, development, communication, and application of knowledge in a wide range of academic and professional fields. Its mission of providing the highest quality undergraduate and graduate programs is inseparable from its mission of developing new understandings through research and creativity. It prepares students to assume roles in leadership, responsibility and service to society. Texas A&M assumes as its historic trust the maintenance of freedom of inquiry and an intellectual environment nurturing the human mind and spirit. It welcomes and seeks to serve persons of all racial, ethnic and geographic groups as it addresses the needs of an increasingly diverse population and a global economy. In the 21st century, Texas A&M University seeks to assume a place of preeminence among public universities while respecting its history and traditions.

Clemson:

Clemson University was established to fulfill our founder's vision of "a high seminary of learning" to develop "the material resources of the State" for the people of South Carolina. Nurtured by an abiding land grant commitment, Clemson has emerged as a research university with a global vision. Our primary purpose is educating undergraduate and graduate students to think deeply about and engage in the social, scientific, economic, and professional challenges of our times. The foundation of this mission is the generation, preservation, communication, and application of knowledge. The University also is committed to the personal growth of the individual and promotes an environment of good decision making, healthy and ethical lifestyles, and tolerance and respect for others. Our distinctive character is shaped by a legacy of service, collaboration, and fellowship forged from and renewed by the spirit of Thomas Green Clemson's covenant.

Reactions: Mr. Cook

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
@mstateglfr — The settlement is extremely confusing.

It hurt Mississippi’s IHLs while simultaneously granting extra funds to HBCUs that had to meet some pretty ludicrous standards.

May 31, 2015
If it were us, we would count the medical center too. Don't blame them for that. Not a big deal. Yes, winning football games helps enrollment.

I know there's a lot of consternation about out of state students, but would be interested in knowing of the out of state students enrolled at State and OM, how many of them are children of alumni? I live out of state - in the 1980's when my State wife and I graduated the job market was much better out of state and we took great jobs. We'll return to Starkville in a few years when we retire. All 3 of our "out of state" kids are graduates of State and one is currently employed in Mississippi. State was generous with scholarship funds that made it possible - all 3 were great students and did really well on their ACT. They all kept their grades up and kept their scholarships until graduation. They're all Bulldawgs through and through.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
If it were us, we would count the medical center too. Don't blame them for that. Not a big deal. Yes, winning football games helps enrollment.

I know there's a lot of consternation about out of state students, but would be interested in knowing of the out of state students enrolled at State and OM, how many of them are children of alumni? I live out of state - in the 1980's when my State wife and I graduated the job market was much better out of state and we took great jobs. We'll return to Starkville in a few years when we retire. All 3 of our "out of state" kids are graduates of State and one is currently employed in Mississippi. State was generous with scholarship funds that made it possible - all 3 were great students and did really well on their ACT. They all kept their grades up and kept their scholarships until graduation. They're all Bulldawgs through and through.
In 2021, there were 7,589 total out-of-state students enrolled at MSU (this is total, including graduate students). (32.9% out of state)

(Link to MSU's Office of Institutional Research: https://ir.msstate.edu/)

In 2020-2021, there were ~8,000 out-of-state students enrolled at Ole Miss (45.1% out of state)

LocalBeachBum

Dec 8, 2021
They have to enroll more to account for the death/attacked toll in Oxford. How many students have been killed this year and/or brutally attacled?

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
When people from out of state ask me about our 2 SEC schools, I always tell them we're about the same size. A few hundred students either way means nothing to me. However, the people are much different.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login