Clock management and officiating complaints

Tsunhater

Nov 2, 2012
I get it’s easy to whine about the officials in tonight’s game. Every close call went USCe way. But JFC it’s not hard to manage a clock. It seems in NFL and College most Defensive coaches struggle with that aspect of the game. We blew 4 TO tonight between 1st and 2nd half. All 3 2nd half TO were terrible. In close games you can’t blow TO. A smart AD would tell young coaches you don’t have a choice we are paying a 100% clock Management Coach $500k + a year and he has total autonomy on clock management. Sorry rookie coach you cant call timeouts our timeout coach calls them. We might not have won tonight but we would have had 1-2 more chances if our rookie head coach had not blown 4 timeouts tonight!!!!

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Meh, I’ve heard people suggest this before, especially back during the peak of the hurry-up era. Not sure it means enough to pay a person to do it.

Danny Boy wasn’t great at clock management either.

Reactions: MaroonSadness99

Tsunhater

Nov 2, 2012
Meh, I’ve heard people suggest this before, especially back during the peak of the hurry-up era. Not sure it means enough to pay a person to do it.

Danny Boy wasn’t great at clock management either.
My point exactly. Most coaches aren’t. Even our best ever. If management told them sorry coach you have control of everything but clock management they can’t manage with emotion. Then you have 1 guy that is 100% stat nerd and understands math and 10% football clock management. I guarantee those teams win more than lose in regard to who cost who games. No doubt. Football coaches are idiots when it comes to managing the clock. Doesn’t matter if it’s HS, college or NFL. They all are emotionally tied to the game and SUCK *** at making the right call on TO. 1 game either way is a big deal on football.

Last edited:

Lowdog

Jan 1, 2019
The interception in the second quarter was not a interception. My uncle that has been a referee at the high school and Jr. College level his whole adult life. Also played football at a power 5 football team. He was screaming at me over the phone that USCe player DID NOT re-establish himself in bounds before catching the interception. Bad call!!!

Reactions: MaroonSadness99

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
One of the TO’s he “burned” was on a play that the refs should’ve reviewed and ultimately did, but didn’t give us the TO back.

Not his fault.
Agree with this. A head coach should NEVER be put in a position to have to burn a TO due to replay officials failing to recognize that something at least needs to be reviewed. Stuff like that is completely ridiculous in this day and age with an entire team of people sitting in a room and watching every play on two dozen monitors.

If a coach has to burn a TO just to get the idiots on the field AND the group in the booth to recognize that the alleged INT needed to be reviewed, something is severely broken

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Dabo Sweeny's clock management was horrendous yesterday, too. I don't think it hurt their chances as bad as that missed FG, but his late game decisions were head scratchers.

As for that interception, I cannot find an NCAA rule defining how a player re-establishes himself in bounds. I have a .PDF rulebook, and did a search on "establish". Lots of rules mention re-establishing in bounds, but I can't find a definition.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login