C'mon coach Prime, tell us what you really think

bruiser.sixpack

Aug 13, 2009
Coach Prime is building a coalition of people to help move Jackson State University the 4th Mississippi University in The FBS. This state can’t afford 3 D1 schools let alone 4. With the support he is building, JSU would push USM to 4th in Mississippi D1 programs. No sarcasterisks.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Also Deion Sanders, FCS non-playoff coach:

“Treat me like Nick Saban.”

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Coach Prime is building a coalition of people to help move Jackson State University the 4th Mississippi University in The FBS. This state can’t afford 3 D1 schools let alone 4. With the support he is building, JSU would push USM to 4th in Mississippi D1 programs. No sarcasterisks.
You need to get off that crack.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
One of the best cover corners ever. One of the worst tacklers ever. He would run out of the way so as not to have to tackle somebody so if they make a "head" for cover corners that didn't tackle, he's in!

Bobby Ricigliano

Jul 27, 2011
He’s got an inflated sense of his impact on the game…and of himself. In my opinion, the greatest thing he ever did was dump water on Tim McCarver.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
You do know that is Deion’s stated goal, right?

He wants Jackson State to be the first HBCU in the FBS.

Its super neat that he wants that. I want to win the next Powerball and jump in bed afterwards with Heidi Klum, just in case anyone was interested. Both of those have a better chance of happening than JSU to the FBS.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016

I see several people in this thread poo-pooing on Deion.

C'mon man.

If you were putting together a football team, who is the first person you'd want as a cornerback?

Me? I'll take Deion. In his prime, he was always the fastest player on the field. Nobody outran Deion. His quickness and top-end speed were unmatched. He could cover anybody man-v-man.

Sure, he got beat a few times . . . but what CB doesn't?

Tackling? That's a second priority item for a CB. The first priority item is to prevent WRs from getting open and making catches.

He was also a fairly decent kick/punt returner too. Anytime he had the ball, he could take it to the house . . . and did so regularly.

Aug 21, 2015
I see several people in this thread poo-pooing on Deion.

C'mon man.

If you were putting together a football team, who is the first person you'd want as a cornerback?

Me? I'll take Deion. In his prime, he was always the fastest player on the field. Nobody outran Deion. His quickness and top-end speed were unmatched. He could cover anybody man-v-man.

Sure, he got beat a few times . . . but what CB doesn't?

Tackling? That's a second priority item for a CB. The first priority item is to prevent WRs from getting open and making catches.

He was also a fairly decent kick/punt returner too. Anytime he had the ball, he could take it to the house . . . and did so regularly.

Great player who was always entertaining on and off the field.

Home run hire by JSU.

patdog

May 28, 2007
That would be awesome. Either that or the Alex Lifeson acceptance speech when Rush was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I’m not pooping on Deion. He was a great corner.
Lot of great corners have played the game.

He’s being extremely egotistical about something that really isn’t a conversation.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
You tell me?

Deion is egotistical. That’s the truth.

He was great. Looks to be a good coach. Might be great.

He doesn’t have to be a douche about it though.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
I think Prime Time just doesn't like the color of his mustard blazer.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
And his unstated goal is to coach FSU. So the second he gets success and FSU comes calling he’ll be gone.
Is it? I mean he doesn't need the money. But there definitely is the occam's razor theory with FSU, and how he went after their #1 recruit, probably just to make a point. But still just not sure I see that happening.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
Deion somehow missed the memo that the hall
of fame, while legitimately selecting great players, is not much more than an annual NFL reunion party and a daily revenue generator for Canton. I’m not surprised he thinks he needs his own special “hall”.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
To be serious. I listened to Florio and Simms on ProFootball Talk basically agree with Deion's rant. Not either of them or Deion had the balls to name any of these undeserving Hall of Famers. If you make Deion's rant then don't have the balls to give some examples who you are talking about, then don't go there. It's like when someone names a top 10 or a Mount Rushmore then says a few more names that should be in that group, tell me who you are taking out.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
He was a great corner, decent baseball player, good recruiter. Coach I'm not so sure about. Beating up on the SWAC isn't that impressive to me. But in a couple years who knows ? Bo was a better 2 sport athlete, in my opinion

patdog

May 28, 2007
He’s not wrong. If a Hall of Fame is inducting more than a couple of players a year, it becomes a hall of pretty good quickly. Big the all do it because they make more money they way.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I've watched a few of his games on TV and one thing he does really well on the sideline is keeping everyone's head in the game. LOL and I'm talking EVERYONE.

Last edited:

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
He’s not wrong. If a Hall of Fame is inducting more than a couple of players a year, it becomes a hall of pretty good quickly. Big the all do it because they make more money they way.

Only a couple per year seems low. There are roughly 1700 active players every year. Then throw in 32 coaches who can be eligible as well. They currently induct between 4-8 a year. Recently they did 20 and that was too many, but it was for the 100 year anniversary of the NFL.

You and I agree 100% that it’s done for the $.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
He’s being extremely egotistical about something that really isn’t a conversation.

That’s kind of where I am with it. Its not like they just let Trent Dilfer in there and now there’s a media outrage over it. The whole rant came out of nowhere.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The vast majority of those are players with short careers who never even start. There are maybe a couple hundred who will have an 8-year career, which is about the bare minimum to even be considered for a HOF. I do agree a couple per year may be low, maybe should have said 2-4 per year. I think 8 is too high.

Edit: Just because your post made me curious, I Googled and found that there are 26,682 players who have ever played in the NFL. 362 are in the HOF. So that's 1.4% in the HOF.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
The vast majority of those are players with short careers who never even start. There are maybe a couple hundred who will have an 8-year career, which is about the bare minimum to even be considered for a HOF. I do agree a couple per year may be low, maybe should have said 2-4 per year. I think 8 is too high.

Edit: Just because your post made me curious, I Googled and found that there are 26,682 players who have ever played in the NFL. 362 are in the HOF. So that's 1.4% in the HOF.

1.4% seems reasonable to me unless it was possible to easily back out all the guys that barely played, had one year careers, etc. I’m guessing the number grows pretty quickly in that case.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Just a guess on my part, but I bet you'd eliminate close to half of all players by backing out players with careers of 2 years or less.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Think I am going to use his rant as my acceptance speech in September. Not to diminish anyone in the MSU Sports HOF, but there should be a separate room for me!

View attachment 24899

You should copy Michael Jordan and talk about all the people that pissed you off over the years. Bonus points for each sixpack poster you can work in.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012

I’d say he’s at least somewhat wrong for his particular position (CB).

Deion was inducted in 2011. He was an 8x Pro Bowler and 8x first or second team All-Pro. NFL defensive player of the year one time.

There have only been 3 CB’s inducted since he got in….Champ Bailey, Charles Woodson, and Ty Law. Bailey and Woodson are both no-doubters, with career accomplishments pretty similar to Deion although he still trumps them a little bit. Ty Law is a little further back on the list of accomplishments. So yeah, if he thinks the hall is completely compromised because one player in 11 years at his position got in that shouldn’t have, I guess he can have at it with the YouTube rant. But to me it seems like a gross overreaction, and an ill-timed one at that.

Last edited:

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Your naming names. I respect that because you are allowed to have an opinion. If Deion wants to complain, he should give his opinion on who should not be in there.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012

Point of order, there are only 310 players in the pro football hall of fame. There are a total of 52 coaches and “contributors” (owners, GM’s, journalists, etc.). So the total should be about 1.16%. FYI, MLB is at about 1.34% for comparison.

I found that strange, and thought that the NFL would have a far greater percentage since positional specialization creates avenues for many more players to excel. It’s not like you would ever decide between Alan Faneca and Terrell Owens, because their roles are so different. So they both get in. Baseball pretty much just has position players and pitchers, with all the position players except for a few being judged pretty similarly (with 80% of that judgment typically being offensive production).

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login