Coach Prime and JSU reportedly hiring Tim Brewster...

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
In true Jackson fashion, he’s stealing everything: headlines, players, and assistant coaches.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I'm about ready for this to pay off in some way for Jackson. If it gets them their on-campus stadium, so we can bulldoze the Vet, I'll consider that a big positive.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
I really wish they would build the stadium downtown instead of on-campus. They have an opportunity to build up downtown around a new stadium. It would be good for JSU, Jackson and the state of Mississippi. The on-campus stadium is only good for JSU.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Good for JSU… if Brewster was available, we should have hired him. I feel confident he’d help with recruiting

Brewster is a scumbag that dogged on MS when he was "here" before. Funny how **** works its way back around.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I really wish they would build the stadium downtown instead of on-campus. They have an opportunity to build up downtown around a new stadium. It would be good for JSU, Jackson and the state of Mississippi. The on-campus stadium is only good for JSU.
I think getting rid of the Vet and expanding the hospital is good enough. That area will develop quickly. Plus, it's the cheapest way out of the Vet for the state. And I also don't think a football stadium nets anything really good for the city, as the only other thing it can do besides Jackson State is host a minor bowl game, which is shrinking in importance by the minute, and high school games. MSU, Ole Miss or USM aren't coming back.

I'd rather see investment in an indoor multi-purpose arena. That could attract NCAA games, concerts, etc. But honestly, if that happens anywhere, it'll likely be in Flowood around the developments north of the airport. I don't see that investment in Jackson anytime soon, as they already have a convention center there that they can't run. The state runs the Trade Mart and Coliseum and that will generally be for more ag-type things.

Jackson just isn't a football town in my opinion. You could argue it has some basketball/baseball ties.

Last edited:

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020

At this point I don't think it matters. There are so many people now that are anti-Jackson, that it harms everything. There was a chance a few years ago to revitalize, but I think that ship has sailed. Go read any thread on this board or Jackson Jambalaya that tries to shine ANY positivity on anything Jackson and it is **** on by that crowd.

I personally think the JSU campus looks pretty nice and when I drove Uber in my spare time, never felt uneasy picking up a fare on that campus. But remember when the women's team played there a couple of seasons ago? You would have thought they were playing in Fallujah the way people bitched and moaned about how they were so afraid to go over there.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
The anti Jackson people should be blamed on the majority of Jackson people.

They did it.
They keep doing it.
They could change it.
They won’t.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Judging a room by reading Jackson Jambalaya is not suggested at all. The way we hate on Mississippi State sports - the people that respond on that site hate life in general.

The Fatboy

Oct 18, 2005
They do the same thing in Birmingham about Birmingham. Birmingham has improved so much over the last 20 years I've lived here. You just have to ignore the ********. Half are retarded and the others just dont want Birmingham to succeed.

DAWG61

Feb 26, 2008
The entire offense for the 6th grade at Jackson Academy just committed also

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
Prime should be able to get things popping with all the publicity he gets. Front page of the CL every day. I will be impressed when they when a few games against a non SWAC opponent. Bragging about going undefeated in the SWAC is like being the smartest kid on the short bus. You still get a helmet and crayons.

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018

My only problem with JSU building a new on-campus stadium is that I fear that it will be paid for by the taxpayers of the State of Mississippi. When we and Ole Miss expanded our stadiums, how much did taxpayers pay for those expansions? Maybe I missed something here. Does JSU have a bunch of wealthy donors who are going to go on the hook to pay for something like that. I seem to recall when Alcorn State built their new stadium years ago, the state provided most, if not all, of the funding. Did the state not basically give Veterans Memorial Stadium to Jackson State years ago? I’m not being a smartass here-I’m asking honest questions? How will Jackson State pay for a new stadium today, especially with construction costs at an all-time high? I personally don’t feel it’s fair to put Mississippi taxpayers on the hook for a new football stadium when the state needs money to take care of so many other needs that benefit the public. Just thinking out loud here. Somebody please tell me how this gets paid for.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
My only problem with JSU building a new on-campus stadium is that I fear that it will be paid for by the taxpayers of the State of Mississippi. When we and Ole Miss expanded our stadiums, how much did taxpayers pay for those expansions? Maybe I missed something here. Does JSU have a bunch of wealthy donors who are going to go on the hook to pay for something like that. I seem to recall when Alcorn State built their new stadium years ago, the state provided most, if not all, of the funding. Did the state not basically give Veterans Memorial Stadium to Jackson State years ago? I’m not being a smartass here-I’m asking honest questions? How will Jackson State pay for a new stadium today, especially with construction costs at an all-time high? I personally don’t feel it’s fair to put Mississippi taxpayers on the hook for a new football stadium when the state needs money to take care of so many other needs that benefit the public. Just thinking out loud here. Somebody please tell me how this gets paid for.
There is some type of agreement that says the state has to give a certain sum of money to JSU's stadium if they ever do anything with the Vet. That agreement may be capped at a certain amount, I can't remember, but building on-campus is certainly the cheapest way to do it. And it's what JSU wants. Win-Win.

patdog

May 28, 2007
If he thought Starkville and Mississippi State was bad .............

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Birmingham and Jackson are very different.

Birmingham has improved.
Jackson has not.

And I have more reason to be biased toward Jackson than I do birmingham.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
They would have to buy land close to the campus. It is not big. Wonder where they would put it. It can't be a 35K size stadium. They get people in the seats. I don't know if 45K would be big enough. Last season they average 42K so that means they had some very big crowds.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
vhdawg said in an earlier thread on the Jackson State stadium that they've got the necessary land.

I've had to look into this for work in the past year thanks to them filling up the Vet again, and some things I've learned in that: 1) JSU has acquired a TON of old residential property to the east of their campus over to Terry Road, and has demolished a ton of old houses. They absolutely have room to put it on-campus (and who could begrudge a college wanting an on-campus stadium, honestly?), and 2) the bill that transferred Veterans Stadium from the Dept of Finance & Administration to Jackson State specifically says it belongs to JSU until they start playing football games at another venue, at which point the entire property passes to UMMC to utilize as they see fit (which means it'll be demolished to make way for UMMC expansion).

Link: Here.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
vhdawg said in an earlier thread on the Jackson State stadium that they've got the necessary land.

Link: Here.

Not questioning it but I would like to know where. Two sides of the campus brushes up next to neighborhoods, one side is open with a causeway and the other is a hotel and downtown Jackson. I guess that open space with causeway is available but it will not be a small stadium and you have to have parking. That campus is not big and it is cramped. Obviously judging by my own observation.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Birmingham and Jackson are very different.

Birmingham has improved.
Jackson has not.

And I have more reason to be biased toward Jackson than I do birmingham.
"Improved" is a gray word. Birmingham has gotten better, but mainly because it's a metro area of 1.3 million people, and is the business center of a bigger state, and HAS NO CHOICE but to get better. You could say Jackson has also gotten better on a smaller scale. Both cities are in too big to fail territory. Jackson is the governmental and business center of its state as well, so thinking that the metro area will go away is stupid. Jackson will eventually improve too.

Birmingham didn't start a lot of its downtown area entertainment renaissance until the mid-2010s. People still say the same things about Birmingham that they say about Jackson. It's tough to live in the city limits, due to the limitations on city services. You are taking a risk by doing it. The crime is plumb awful in Birmingham too. It's the restaurant and bar scene that has come up, more than anything. Jackson could do the same thing, and likely will, now that this capital police force is developing.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
My guess is the northeastern section surrounded by the parkway, University/Terry, Lynch, and Poindexter.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
My guess is the northeastern section surrounded by the parkway, University/Terry, Lynch, and Poindexter.

That's probably the only spot. Parking will be a issue unless they open up the fair grounds and have transit to the stadium.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Birmingham is 100 times better than Jackson.

Does inner city birmingham have problems? Sure but they do a pretty good job of keeping it controlled/limited to certain areas.

ETA: unless something has happened since June 2019 that I don’t know about. Spent 180 days plus a year there for 3 plus years.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Birmingham is 100 times better than Jackson.

Does inner city birmingham have problems? Sure but they do a pretty good job of keeping it controlled/limited to certain areas.

ETA: unless something has happened since June 2019 that I don’t know about. Spent 180 days plus a year there for 3 plus years.
It's double the size. Of course it's going to have better things. Can you not read and think critically about the topic? You just clean whiffed on the content of my post.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login